HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 6:53 PM

Photo Viewpoints of Downtown Austin Skyline

I plan to visit Austin soon and do some photography of the Austin skyline. Since I am not very familiar with Austin I was hoping someone could help me discover some great viewpoints for photographing the downtown skyline. I am especially interested in elevations that are above trees and tall obstructions. Viewpoints close to downtown would be best.
Thanks, Scott

Last edited by swteven; Nov 18, 2009 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 8:02 PM

Austin Viewpoints

Here are a few good Austin Viewpoints that were provided to me from KevinFromTexas. Thanks again Kevin!

Butler Park in South Austin
There are some interesting angles on downtown there. There's also a 35 foot tall observation hill. The park is right across the river from downtown.
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/butler.htm

TMI Castle/Dupont Castle
This was a mansion that was built in the 20s. It sits on a bluff west of downtown. There had been a condo project planned near it, but it was never finished. The foundation for that project was built though, and is still there. It provides a really good place to view the skyline from. You have to enter through a small gravel driveway and through the gate (which is always open). http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/tmi.htm

Former Whole Foods garage on Lamar
There are also various parking garages around downtown. The former Whole Foods garage on Lamar Boulevard just west of downtown is a really good place to take pictures. Parking is free, and the security guard is nice about letting you go up for photos. It's located at 603 North Lamar Boulevard.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 4:30 PM

some no-brainers are mt. bonnell, south congress, zilker park. you can get some great shots from the top of ut tower if you can take the tour. i also like how downtown looks from the capitol.

south congress and zilker park are at street level though, but great views nonetheless. but above street level views can be obtained from Headliners Club in the chase bank tower on 6th, between lavaca and colorado. you can also get above street level views from the hyatt just south of the river, directly across downtown on barton springs between congress and s. 1st. also, from the convention center.

Last edited by tgbAustinite; Nov 23, 2009 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:12 AM

Some other good places are

Zilker Clubhouse. It's on the west side of Mopac & has two simlar viewing ares. One is off on the right-hand side of the road before you reach the clubhouse.

(2008 photo)

The other is from the patio of the clubhouse itself.

Zilker is best in afternoon/late afternoon. You'll be facing east and the sun will behind you.

You could also try Lamar Square Shopping Center. I think it's in the 1300 block of S. Lamar. There's a gym (Is it Steve's Gym? I can't remember) that has a second floor balcony (accessible to the public) that offers this view:

Lamar Square is also better in the afternoon/late afternoon because of the position of the sun.

If the Convention Center is open while you're here, go inside and up to the fourth floor. There's a big terrace and patios on the west and north sides of the buildiong:

The Convention Center is just west of I-35 and faces west, so morning is a good time to go there, although you can get some good night shots if the Convention Center is open after dark. (sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't)

If you're going to TMI Castle, you might as well hit the stairwell at this condo on the way.

It's on the north side of 12th St just west of Lamar.

You can go up to the top level of that stairwell on the left hand side and get this general view:

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

And of course the ever popular Joe's Crab Shack on Riverside (or for free, the parking lot next door).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
And of course the ever popular Joe's Crab Shack on Riverside (or for free, the parking lot next door).
Exactly. Joe's has a great view. It's not a bad place to eat or have a few drinks at either.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 5:29 PM
Austinite

Don't forget the Barton Creek Square Mall vantage point as well (north/northeast parking lot). The view encompasses pretty much the entire skyline, including the University of Texas and Capitol complex clusters. That view has been popular since the mall opened nearly 30 years ago. It is located at the northwest corner of south Mopac Expressway (Loop 1) and Loop 360 (SW Austin).

This is a partial view I took last month (not including the Cap or UT)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:34 AM
Meh

^Pretty wild. We're going to be hiding a 500 footer from that view.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin