HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Harbourside Park would be a great place for one.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Harbourside Park would be a great place for one.
Yes it would! Perfect for creating a lot of buzz on that end of Water St. Who currently owns that land? Port Authority?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:36 PM

I completely agree. We need more economical food options dt.

I think the day will come when we see a McDonald’s dt. I’ve seen them throughout Europe in their historic districts so I can’t see why it can’t work here. Also, as you mentioned we already have other fast food chains DT. Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried to put one DT? Maybe it’s’ not an issue…

However, I find most McDonalds close by midnight. The drive thru may be 24 hours but that wouldn’t help dt. Anyways, I don’t really like McDonalds but I can’t see why we don’t have one in the DT core.

Also, I can’t say anything else… but I will say… expect to see Mustangs again in the future.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post

I think the day will come when we see a McDonald’s dt. I’ve seen them throughout Europe in their historic districts so I can’t see why it can’t work here. Also, as you mentioned we already have other fast food chains DT. Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried to put one DT? Maybe it’s’ not an issue…

However, I find most McDonalds close by midnight. The drive thru may be 24 hours but that wouldn’t help dt. Anyways, I don’t really like McDonalds but I can’t see why we don’t have one in the DT core.

Also, I can’t say anything else… but I will say… expect to see Mustangs again in the future.
I pray Mustang's will be back, I have never had anything quite like it! I feel like if it was more in the open it would have done more well! I think it would be great if they could have Sal's location!

I bet someone has tried to open McD's in DT area. The only way we could find out is if someone tried to contact one of the local franchisee owners.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post

I’ve seen them throughout Europe in their historic districts so I can’t see why it can’t work here. .
Some of the oldest areas of Rome have McDonald's peppered throughout. Check out this McDonald's in DT Quebec City - It look's awesome! Something like that could work here for sure.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...70266581048902

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john98642 View Post
Hello All! Just joined the Forums.

A few things I would like to bring up regarding the food industry in St. John's.

1) I would like to see more authentic Asian food, such as Thai! There used to be "Taste of Thai" but it seemed to be overpriced and not run well, hence the reason it is no longer in operation. Thai food is delicious, and most places have very cheap lunch specials in cities such as Halifax.

2) There is not many great options in the late night for good food. Smoke's is awful, and Keltic Hearth is vastly overpriced, ($9 for a side of fries?! lol wat), I miss Mustang Sally's. The pizza places downtown late night are also not very good.

3) Why isn't there a McDonald's in the DT area? There are 2 subways and last time I checked a footlong meatball sub with cookies and a coke is worst for you than a big mac meal! And it would provide a nice cheap bite to eat after downtown!

4) I am from halifax and I love the boardwalk! I find it sad that the city has not zoned any water-frontage for a boardwalk that could allow for some bars with patios and restaurants! The city is once bowing for industry once again!

If the city made some of the changes I said above, the food selection could improve vastly, along with the DT vibe! Let me know what you think! Imagine how nice a boardwalk on the water would be!
I agree with all of your points. Cheap asian food is needed! In almost any City in the western world, you can get a cheap box of sauteed noodles for a couple bucks. Except St.John's - you can't get fast-food noodles anywhere in the City except the food courts which are just junky microwaved garbage.

I think a big problem in SJ is this notion among business owners who want their business to be "classy" and "sophisticated" and "high-end". God damn. We have enough of that crap. There's more than one business model that exists!! ha

I miss Mustang Sally's too but it still wasn't very affordable and yet it still couldn't manage to stay open. It made no sense - there must be some flaw in the system that I popular eatery like Mustang Sally's with medium-high prices can't stay open while sharing a location with a bar, haha. Mismanagement?

We need cheap food. We need late night food.

As mentioned before, I think another explanation to lack of food diversity downtown is a lack of spaces to accommodate it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 3:04 PM

start something online calling for a McDonalds DT and I'm sure you could get Cathy Bennett to see it .. she's a very nice lady too
also I'm SURE you'd have lots of support
It's also good for tourists that are just out running around and want something fast and cheap and familiar

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 5:50 PM

Has anybody here ever had Chafes Landing in Petty Hr? I see it on the food channel last week and it looked pretty good.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:36 PM

Developer wants restaurant to be a downtown destination - Challenges still ahead for harbourfront project, controversial from the start

Quote:
Rob Moore’s harbourfront restaurant project has faced challenges since before shovel hit dirt and those challenges will continue even after completion.
But Moore, 53, president of Harbour Walk Hospitality — the company building two restaurants on Harbour Drive next to the Keg — is hoping Legros and Motti will be a downtown destination for residents and tourists. With 367 seats in the 10,000-square foot space — not including the second restaurant — it’s going to need to be.
“It’s big on every scale,” he said. The concept for Legros and Motti, said Moore, is a cross between a French bistro and an Italian trattoria — “upper-end casual,” said Moore — with the names coming from two sets of grandparents.
“I’ve been working on this probably four years,” he said. “I’ve spent 32 years travelling, and looking at ideas, and what I’ve learned over my career, especially in the last four to five years travelling, I’ve put into a concept that, hopefully, will blow this city away. We’re putting a lot into this.”
When Harbour Walk — sister company to the Millennium Group, which also owns the Keg — submitted its plan to St. John’s council in 2011 for the restaurants, being built on land leased from the St. John’s Port Authority, the project was criticized because the authority didn’t put the land out to tender. And with the size of the building becoming clear as the structure is erected, online commenters have raised concerns about it blocking the view of
St. John’s harbour.
Moore suggests criticism from other downtown bar and restaurant owners is overblown, since the new restaurants will draw people into the area instead of pulling them out of the downtown core.
“I have people say, ‘Geez, Rob, thank God you’re doing this downtown and not up on Kenmount Road.’ There’s some, I guess, jealousy, and there’s some legit, ‘Why didn’t we get the chance to get this property?’ (But) I don’t apologize for being the first guy to go out and get the property. I’ve often been the second guy, and I lick my wounds and get on with life.”
And the bumpy road won’t be over when the building is finished — Moore acknowledges both parking availability and hiring will be difficult. He expects Legros and Motti will hire about 200 people, and says the restaurant should be open for business by the end of November, with the second restaurant open sometime the following spring.
“It’s going to be a challenge,” he said. “Front of house — servers — doesn’t scare me a lot, because they tend to flock wherever they feel they can make the most money off tables.”
As for parking, Legros and Motti will meet requirements by city regulations, but Moore is banking on the completion of a new parking garage on Water Street to help alleviate downtown parking pressure.
Moore wouldn’t comment on who will occupy the second restaurant, long rumored to be Chinese food franchise P.F. Chang’s.
Two and a half years ago, the price tag for both restaurants was estimated to be $10 million. More recently, the cost of Legros and Motti alone was expected to be $8 million, but the cost has gone well beyond that now, said Moore. He won’t say what the current cost is — “I don’t think our bankers want that on the street,” he says, chuckling — but does say it’s the most expensive restaurant currently under construction in Canada.
“There’s a lot of talk throughout the region right now on this,” he said. “There’s restaurateurs in Halifax talking about what we’re putting on the harbourfront in St. John’s, Newfoundland.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...om-the-start/1

WOW most expensive restaurant under construction in Canada

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I hate when people bring up "Halifax X..." as though we're supposed to be impressed. I'm not impressed that restauranteurs in Halifax are talking about this... why shouldn't they? Our cities aren't that different.

I'd be impressed if restauranteurs in a large city, or a European city, were talking about this. Those are the ones whose standards are truly different than our own.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Some of the oldest areas of Rome have McDonald's peppered throughout. Check out this McDonald's in DT Quebec City - It look's awesome! Something like that could work here for sure.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...70266581048902
That sign is a little bold!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:44 PM

Was driving by the former KFC on Torbay Road (Near Stavanger) and noticed that it is being converted to a Mary's Diner franchise. Check the link for some info.
http://marybrownsfranchising.com/marys-diner.php

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:48 PM

looks cool!
I saw that the other day and was courios thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Was driving by the former KFC on Torbay Road (Near Stavanger) and noticed that it is being converted to a Mary's Diner franchise. Check the link for some info.
http://marybrownsfranchising.com/marys-diner.php
Cool I noticed the sign and wondered what the deal with it was, but didn't bother to look up Mary's Diner.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

My partner and I are in St. John's visiting for the first time. Any 'must try' restaurant recommendations??

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 1:00 PM

Hmm I am not a big restauranteur but there are a few local restaurants I think are work checking out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-S...16785275014488

http://www.saltwaterrestaurant.ca

Sun Sushi - 186 Duckworth Street

http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com

http://www.magnumandsteins.ca

http://www.portobellosrestaurant.ca

http://www.blueonwater.com

http://atthebeachhouse.ca

If you want to try the classic fish and chips check out
http://www.chessfishandchips.ca

or

The Duke of Duckworth (as seen in Republic of Doyle). Great fish and chips there too.
http://www.dukeofduckworth.com

There are so many others too. These are just a few.

Hope you and your partner have a great time while visiting. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
My partner and I are in St. John's visiting for the first time. Any 'must try' restaurant recommendations??

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
What kind of food and what sort of budget are you on? Anything you're opposed to eating? St. John's has such a large selection of restaurants for a city of its size, and most of them are of high quality

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
What kind of food and what sort of budget are you on? Anything you're opposed to eating? St. John's has such a large selection of restaurants for a city of its size, and most of them are of high quality
Nothing too pricey. Kind of what you can get the most bang for your buck. We aren't opposed to eating much and are for the most part open trying different things. Last night we went to the Afghan restaurant on it was really delicious and not at all expensive. From what I've seen so far, there does seem to be a good variety of places to choose from!

Mostly what I'm looking for are the places the locals consider to be the good spots

We're both having a great time here in St. John's!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Nothing too pricey. Kind of what you can get the most bang for your buck. We aren't opposed to eating much and are for the most part open trying different things. Last night we went to the Afghan restaurant on it was really delicious and not at all expensive. From what I've seen so far, there does seem to be a good variety of places to choose from!

Mostly what I'm looking for are the places the locals consider to be the good spots

We're both having a great time here in St. John's!
Perfect, I can try and help you then!

For the best bang without being too overpriced (or priced just right for top quality) I'd check out these personal favorites:

-Pi Gourmet Pizza, 10 Kings Road. Seriously the best pizza money can buy. Thin crust, fresh ingredients, and great atmosphere. Some of the pizzas have ingredients you'd never expect to be on a pizza, but they're there and work great. I went here for my university convocation dinner with my parents and girlfriend just because I wanted them to experience it.

-Sun Sushi , 186 Duckworth Street (right around the corner from Pi mentioned above). Probably the best sushi I've ever had, no where else really compares! Complimentary miso soup, and the best spicy salmon maki in existence. Unlike other sushi bars, Sun Sushi doesn't rely on topping its sushi with spicy drizzle and other things to enhance flavour; the rolls themselves are good enough on their own.

-Aqua, 310 Water Street. Very nice, intimate setting. Staff are great, food is superb. Can get a little pricey, but it may be worth it just to experience how great their kitchen staff are.

-Yellowbelly Brewery & Pub, 1 George Street. There are plenty of pubs around town, but Yellowbelly also hosts a microbrewery with EXCELLENT beer. Plenty of options on tap, food is great. Don't order too much, their portions are huge. Plus you want to leave room for a few pints of St. John's stout

Other options for restaurants which have high end food for mid-tier prices (like Aqua) include Gypsy Tea Room (which I also love), Blue on Water, and Press and Bean. Their Water Street restaurant is beautifully decorated as it used to be a VERY high end restaurant before Press and Bean moved in.

But if you do decide to splurge completely and decide to go all in on a meal, I highly suggest Raymonds Restaurant, which has been recognized as one of the best restaurants in all of Canada. I haven't eaten there as of yet (my pocket book can not handle such a place currently), but everyone who has raves about the place. A meal may cost over $100, so if you're on a budget this place definitely isn't for the weak of heart.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip! I miss St. John's so much, I can't wait to get back on vacation in July

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Basho is a great place if you can get seats, often busy until the late hours though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's