HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool CHICAGO | OneEleven - 111 West Wacker | 630 FT | 59 FLOORS | COM

this is a thread to post any news and opinions regarding the 30 story, partially built concrete hulk on the site of the former (and now dead) Waterview Tower proposal.

the current proposal:

the site as it exists today:

source: me

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

from the old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-Chicago View Post
The original thread was closed, but I wanted to share new information.

Teng & Associates has been sold to Trow Global.

How this relates to Waterview is not yet seen.

http://www.generalatlantic.com/en/news/article/1334

http://www.trow.com/tnw/Default.aspx?langID=EN

*mods, feel free to merge this with the closed thread if you wish. Just thought people might be interested.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:26 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Next batman movie...blow it up.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:38 PM

taller than the tallest building in a lot of towns...

I wonder if anyone has ever independently played around with what could be put there without doing any demo

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:41 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Taco View Post

I wonder if anyone has ever independently played around with what could be put there without doing any demo
I know for a fact they have. One of my clients now owns an interest in the building.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Taco View Post

Sad but very much true (from San Antonio - a very backward city - that holds on to a UFO looking building that is only used for dining at a less than percent 3 star restaurant. They say it's a romantic restaurant, which rotates...pfft! I went. Horrible. Kids all over the place and aged!). If this building, at 23 floors, were finished off with a nice glassy look as with WTC1 or WTC4, it would be much better than any building in downtown San Antonio. I really do not understand why some cities think ahead and others do or others do think ahead but others prevent. Put it this way, for instance, I did some research over the business downtown in San Antonio. Nearly 75 percent of the buildings are hotels. I know of three that have over 900 rooms. The last time I did a check was the weekend of 08-05/08-07-2011 were all sold out. I do not get it. This also includes one of two five star hotels which are only 12 and 13 stories, respectfully. Here in South Texas, we call this a 'high-rise'. Yes, I know, what am I getting to?

I have been to Chicago many, many times. I love it there. I love all the trees, the green, the uniqueness to each and every building, and most importantly, the space between buildings. Other than wanting to invest into this project if it were something else, if I had the movie, I do not think Chicago will let this go on. Places like San Antonio do not even like it when buildings are taking too long and have charged buildings that do not meet their deadlines by the day (e.g., for more, look up news stories on the Grand Hyatt Riverwalk). I would like to think the city should do the same. In addition, I am kind of happy they did not finish it. May be something better looking will go up, and as someone said on this forum, 'the foundation was built for something larger' and anyone vested in such a project should 'should take advantage of that'. You see, my reasoning is, as with the example about San Antonio regarding less than 20 story hotel buildings with a hand full of over 25, if their is a need to build taller, then it should be done. At current, the Waterview is 23 stories. For Chicago standards, this is simply a parking garage. The building to the right of the Waterview is simply beautiful. Since then, Chicago has seen it's fair share of great beauty (e.g., the Aqua) and the based on what the Waterview was suppose to be when top out, it would not have stood the test of time. It would have been some random building that is simply just tall. To be honest, the upper part of what the Waterview would have been looks like the Four Seasons Chicago, only with less bulk (thinnier). Thus, nothing new. May be that is why it could not get funding. I mean, I have never heard of a building so far in development just stop and be left as it is now (with the exception of the Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea which begin in 1987 and topped out and stopped work on in 1992. This was a 105 story building. However, after 16 of inactivity, work on the building started up again in 2008 and is pretty much finished and will open in 2012).

Sorry for all the little stories to give my opinion whilst giving a collection to my open. In the end, if a city such as San Antonio that is so backward in construction (the new buildings they build are of the same color and made to look old...huh?) and if a county which started a major high-rise finishes it's project, albeit 16 years (which would be a good thing, at least they did not have to redo the hotel for the 21st century - 16-20 years makes for a big difference - as it will not be so outdated by now for such a big project), I am sure a Chicago - a city of great architecture and of progressive thinking - will do something worthy on the site of the Waterview. And, hey, if you all are thinking the same thing will happen as with the Spire, do not. The Spire is really just on hold. They have the money and the backing for it. They are just waiting for the right timing. I mean, hey, look at the Aqua. The Aqua is already filling up! So many people are living there now. I love the fact that you do not have to be making millions to live in a high-rise in Chicago. The market in terms of living in a high-rise with such great architecture is what Chicago truly is. It is the way things should be. Why should only the super rich live in great living conditions? I just recently heard that the Carnegie 57 - at 1, 005 ft. - just sold a 6,000 sq ft condo for 40 million! That is about $6, 667 per sq ft! You can get a great apt or condo at the Aqua, for example, for less than $300,000 and with more sq ft. - more bag for the buck. That is a true example of thinking ahead or building greatness for all to see, not just the super rich and not just for the poor and middle class to look at and dream about. What can you get in Manhattan for $300,000? May be a small apt in a noisy, unusually noisy, part of town. Never would I think it to be realistic to built high-rises just for the super rich. It is not progressive in nature at all, and with more and more people believing the best way to expand is to centralize, as oppose to decentralizing (moving away from the city), Chicago seems to be the only city thinking of it's people and not just the super rich. When I travel for business or leisure, as with Chicago, I love just walking the streets. Those that live in Chicago are so lucky. just not in the winter months lol.

Thanks for readings. Nothing but good can come from the Waterview in a city of beauty.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:26 AM

Somehow I have a feeling this tower won't actually be finished, but demolished and rebuilt instead...............

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:42 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Somehow I have a feeling this tower won't actually be finished, but demolished and rebuilt instead...............
I had heard about a year ago from an attorney acquaintance that that would most likely happen. I didn't believe it then & still don't.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:51 PM

-Onn likes this!

I would like to see the original plan go through, it's the only option for this site. Someone, somewhere, has to come up with the money. I would be traveling to the Middle East, they seem willing to invest in these kinds of projects.

Last edited by Onn; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 8:52 PM

Its hard to believe that they are more than 1/3 done height wise and they still cant seem to get anything moving along. Chicago is the city though where we just keeping putting off finishing things...this could sit like this for YEARS!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 10:23 PM

It has the foundation to build higher, which should be taken advantage of.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 12:44 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

It still bugs me that this building was 75% sold and couldn't get financing. Hopefully if the original proposal is not completed, something more progressive is.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:49 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
It still bugs me that this building was 75% sold and couldn't get financing. Hopefully if the original proposal is not completed, something more progressive is.
How many of them would have closed, given the economy, is another matter entirely.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
How many of them would have closed, given the economy, is another matter entirely.
Who cares?

It would have been built and once the economy improved, the units would have sold.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 11:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 2:17 PM
Content provider

it does seem like at the very least someone could add floors to the point it's financially feasible and then just make an apartment building out of it

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 3:16 PM

In the old thread, wasn't it mentioned that the glass facade panels were already manufactured and sitting in a warehouse? Just finish it as it was supposed to be and get it over with.

Oh, and build the Waldorf Astoria. (hah)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
In the old thread, wasn't it mentioned that the glass facade panels were already manufactured and sitting in a warehouse? Just finish it as it was supposed to be and get it over with.

Oh, and build the Waldorf Astoria. (hah)
That's interesting. I'd be fine with them cladding it in glass with parking and hotel in the existing floors. Of course I would prefer the tower to be completed as originally planned, but I'd be content with a 30 story building as well.

Ironically, the current structure massing fits nicely with the tower next door. And positions of columns and openings are similar to 55 Wacker. They picked a good floor to stop construction at.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:25 AM
Ω

^I've always thought that. And it completes the tall tower - short tower - tall tower - short tower pattern along the river.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 5:04 AM

Oh man, I totally forgot about this guy!

I would love to see it rise as planned. If anything, at least throw another 10-20 floors on it. New space in downtown Chicago does not grow on trees - make the most of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive