HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:34 PM

I think I may have been counted twice in the last census. I'm sure my mom filled me out for being home, and I did the one with everyone living in my apartment. I'm sure a lot of students don't actually fill those out, and to be fair I'd say census cards don't even make it to the res houses.

Though if I remember correctly, those census forms were sent out in the summer, which would probably drop the number of uncounted students. No one would be living on campus, so it would only be the number of year-round students, or students living in the city during the summer off campus, and of which those who fill out the form. No doubt there are people unaccounted for, but I'm not sure how many.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think I may have been counted twice in the last census. I'm sure my mom filled me out for being home, and I did the one with everyone living in my apartment. I'm sure a lot of students don't actually fill those out, and to be fair I'd say census cards don't even make it to the res houses.

Though if I remember correctly, those census forms were sent out in the summer, which would probably drop the number of uncounted students. No one would be living on campus, so it would only be the number of year-round students, or students living in the city during the summer off campus, and of which those who fill out the form. No doubt there are people unaccounted for, but I'm not sure how many.
I think the students living on campus is the low portion of the total.

There are a ton of benefits to having a backhome address. Getting on EI is easier, avoiding common law legal scenarios is much easier, getting higher travel pay, when moving away to work camps(plane ticket plus car travel) Maintaining aborginal status. Avoiding junk mail.

The list goes on and on.

I can't think of many situations where it pays to have a fixed adress in St john's.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

You wouldn't be the only one in that scenario. Stats Canada calculates post-census estimates (between census years) which ends up weeded out cases such as yours. These estimates are a better reflection of the true population than the census itself. Historical population counts may also change depending on the estimates; I believe someone made this point above when he/she noticed a big change in the St. John's CMA population trends compared to data released a few years ago.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some new pics of Legros & Motti here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213106

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:44 PM

Fantastic photos. First time seeing some of those interior shots. Wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Some new pics of Legros & Motti here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213106

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 12:56 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks.

Waterford Valley High School, Fortis Place, Brine Condos, JAG Hotel, and a few other things.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 10:52 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned here already but I don't recall seeing it. I drove down Temperance Street last night and there is a new sign on the site of the Harbourside project. It is still called Harbourside Condominiums but now it looks like a row housing project. I managed to snap a dark photo but can't upload it right now, so sorry for not having a photo and I can't find anything online about it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned here already but I don't recall seeing it. I drove down Temperance Street last night and there is a new sign on the site of the Harbourside project. It is still called Harbourside Condominiums but now it looks like a row housing project. I managed to snap a dark photo but can't upload it right now, so sorry for not having a photo and I can't find anything online about it.
I noticed the same thing as I drove by on Saturday. I didn't get a good look at the sign but it appeared to be like a townhouse style project. There's also fencing up around the site, not sure if that was left from the original project.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 2:12 PM

I read in the paper (I'm old school) over the weekend that there will be a public meeting on a Quidi Vidi overlay plan that the City commissioned. It can be viewed from the City's website at http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...y_13082014.pdf

I skimmed through it and there is some interesting stuff in there. This might be one meeting that will be interesting to attend.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:55 PM

Very interesting indeed. I may have to attend this one... I'm in the Pleasantville - Quidi Vidi area all the time and am actually looking for a house there.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:23 PM

I don't think this is getting much publicity but the NLAA is hosting another lecture by an architect with Irish firm McCullough Marvin on the 25th: http://www.rca.nf.ca/events.aspx?id=431
Should be interesting to see how other architects use the limits/opportunities of heritage conservation to create some pretty stunning work.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 11:47 AM

I was driving down Kenmount this morning and noticed the early stages of fencing around the Sandman Hotel site. I wonder if we'll see some movement on this soon?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:38 PM

Just a random picture I took about two months ago of The Rooms and other buildings. I wonder what the scenery would look like in the future?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 10:58 PM

We need a plan like this for the west end of downtown.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...ca1141att2.pdf (14MB)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:03 PM

A little nugget from this week’s council Agenda (other than the parking sign) is a proposal for yet another boutique hotel for Water St., this one just a couple of doors east of Prescott St in the building they re-clad with the fake slate (without a permit BTW) this past summer. The topic for discussion is how to resurface it again.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 4:41 PM

They re-claded it without a permit? They worked on it for months, did nobody with the city notice?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:04 PM
Urban Design Aficionado

I'm all for it! An honest and simple enough exterior is better than what's there now for sure! It looks like the faux brick was puttied together and painted by a toddler.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:07 PM

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps someone can “sneak up” a nice 15 story tower somewhere without a permit. Good luck with that!

Someone at the City was asleep at the wheel.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

MetroPark.

Fortis Place termination vista along Water Street West.

Scotia Plaza expansion.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We'll soon be living in shipping containers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's