HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:12 PM

I assume that is a bad thing

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:18 PM

I feel it is, others will have their own opinions. Paddy Daley's opinion seems to be that it will backfire and could hurt them provincially.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think it will backfire.

I'm very left-wing politically and, in theory, I would love to have people who are likely to vote NDP also running our city... but to see it explicitly out in the open, political party involvement in municipal elections, I dislike it. If the other candidates are idiots, I'll go along with it... but I will be consciously looking for alternative candidates to signal my disapproval.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:31 PM

Lol^^^. Signal said signal!!!

Aren't NDP views on development artsy, fartsy, don't build anything over two stories thats not made out of bracelets, be historical and die a slow painful death but we'll still be short and have arts views??

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

From a conservative viewpoint, yes.

But only to the extent conservative views on development are to bulldoze downtown to make a bigger parking lot for Atlantic Place.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:33 PM

Well the NDP will be rallying behind Sheilagh O'Leary for mayor, so if they are all support her views I predict a bad four years of development.

O'Leary didn't want the former Star of the Sea Hall torn down, which has led to probably the best condo proposal in the city. She was against an extra story on that condo behind Holy Heart because the area would be to dense. She was against the Marriott Hotel pedway proposal. Though she wash't wrong to oppose the development she was ignorant towards Fortis when they proposed their Water Street expansion. The city will be doomed if she gets in and she has a majority of councillors who will support her views.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 9:01 PM

I support the NDP nationally .. however municipal council is NO place for political parties :S

I think I'm going to have to run!

I'm going to need some serious help though!

The people will see them as the new young blah blah blah .. but they need a businessy worldly young person! ... oh god I'm scared to know what's going to happen ...

that's not fair that they will have access to party funds etc .. :S this is for a COUNCIL of individuals that have votes .. not large assemblies of 40+ people where parties work ..

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 9:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You definitely should run. And how can we help?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 9:20 PM

I will need to get a team together, a campaign manager and organizers/ volunteers

I'm going to need to find someone who has more familiarity with the campaign process

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 9:23 PM

I wonder if people on here actually know me?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm sure some must - but that's not a bad thing. The more people know you, the more likely they are to have an accurate idea of what you'd be like as a Councillor. And I think that would encourage them to vote for you.

As for the casual, unrestrained way we debate proposals, etc., here - our generation cares less about non-issues like Twitter curse words and the like.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:55 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Jeddy, when I get back to town, if you'd like to go for a beer and have a chat about it, I'd happily sit down with you. While I'm no expert, I may have some insight / knowledge that could help you.

I also have long thought about what sort of political campaign I would personally run (its the poli sci degree holder in me that is always thinking politics) so I'd happily throw some ideas at you.

And, you know, I'd be willing to be involved any way that I could.

Hit me up in the new year. If you're actually serious, I think it would be a really exciting experience.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Jeddy, when I get back to town, if you'd like to go for a beer and have a chat about it, I'd happily sit down with you. While I'm no expert, I may have some insight / knowledge that could help you.

I also have long thought about what sort of political campaign I would personally run (its the poli sci degree holder in me that is always thinking politics) so I'd happily throw some ideas at you.

And, you know, I'd be willing to be involved any way that I could.

Hit me up in the new year. If you're actually serious, I think it would be a really exciting experience.
sure! for sure!
thanks!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
From a conservative viewpoint, yes.

But only to the extent conservative views on development are to bulldoze downtown to make a bigger parking lot for Atlantic Place.
If that means getting our educated young people out of minimum wage jobs, sign me up for the wrecking ball!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Personally I feel some of the current Councillor's attitudes are changing and they see the need to build and develop for the future. I for one would absolutely LOVE to see Ron Ellsworth as DM and although I detest DOC, I would vote for him over the wicked witch of the west anyday.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Lol^^^. Signal said signal!!!

Aren't NDP views on development artsy, fartsy, don't build anything over two stories thats not made out of bracelets, be historical and die a slow painful death but we'll still be short and have arts views??

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM

And the Anti-O'Leary candidate is...

Quote:
O'Keefe Seeking Re-election

The City of St. John's is entering into an election year and already candidates are putting their names forward. Mayor Dennis O'Keefe says he will be seeking re-election in 2013. O'Keefe says he is in good health and he hopes the people will return him for another term as mayor in 2013.

O'Keefe says the city has made great strides in the past number of years and he wants to see through certain projects that are already started.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29553&latest=1

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 7:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I hope we get to see renders of these major proposals before we vote.

I don't want a council that would approve Atlantic Place, but I also don't want a council that would turn down Fortis Place.

So torn...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 8:36 PM

Those two examples are at extreme ends of the spectrum, AP an abomination and Fortis Place a masterpiece. I would hope that any future council would 1) deny the destruction of an entire heritage block to build another AP and 2) approve another FP on vacant land in the west end of downtown.

Major developments will be proposed and will be hotly debated by those that fall in the pro and anti development camps. I look forward to the battle, and these developments will succeed or fail in the court of public opinion, with council falling in line with the people's wishes. I think a more realistic measure of future councils are the developments that fall in between. Will they 1) approve our future 351's, Star of the Sea replacements, Marriott extensions, and MIX/Marconi condos, or 2) insist that all developments be limited to two storeys and be made of bracelets (I love that line Townie709..!! ). I think O'Leary and her fellow NDP travellers would fall in the latter category, so I'll be supporting anyone but O'Leary.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 9:07 PM

Amen!!! I agree with that!! Haha, me and my autocorrects

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's