HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 4:02 AM

i drove through that area today on my way to the train station. are they planning on covering/clearing the rail lands? that plan to raise second st. is very interesting....i imagine it would be pedestrian only, and that would definitely be attractive to restaurants

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 1:46 PM
Me?!?

/\
I believe they are, yes.

VERY interesting news, as it shows there just may be condos on both sides of the shore now. I wonder if HBG will have a condo boom of its own, just like a few other cities in America today? And if there is a demand for this, I could see it getting VERY interesting for the consumer, as we have municipalities that will be competing...

HARRISBURG

Front Street condo proposal to be unveiled during forum

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Real estate developers who plan to turn the Tracy Mansion on Harrisburg's North Front Street into luxury condominiums have scheduled a community forum for tonight.

Susquehanna Real Estate of York will present its plans at 7 p.m. at the mansion, 1829 N. Front St.

The firm plans to build up to 50 residential condominiums along Harrisburg's riverfront.

Under the company's plans, which have been published on its Web site for months, a midrise condominium building of 44 to 50 units would be built next to the mansion. The condos would range in size from 1,200 square feet to 3,000 square feet and sell for about $300,000 each.

Meanwhile, the mansion, circa 1918, would be restored and converted for retail and office use, as well as a restaurant.

The plans call for one to two parking spaces for each condo, with the construction of two parking decks under the building. Separate on-site parking would be provided for the offices and restaurant.

Susquehanna Real Estate has yet to file its development plans with the city. Instead, it is awaiting possible zoning changes that would open a portion of Front Street for development of restaurants, hotels and condos.

The zoning changes would apply to an eight-block portion of Front Street, between Verbeke and Maclay streets.

City officials have said the changes, particularly raising the height limit from 45 to 110 feet, are necessary to spur development of several vacant or underutilized parcels in that area.

But the ordinance also stipulates that developers could not bulldoze pre-1950 buildings to make way for projects.

Some of Front Street's older buildings have been demolished and replaced. Others have been converted into offices or apartments. There are no restaurants or hotels there.

The proposed zoning changes are seen as benefiting the Tracy mansion project, as well as the development prospects of a vacant lot at Verbeke and Front streets.

At a public hearing on the zoning changes, several residents supported the Tracy mansion project, and two groups -- Historic Harrisburg Association and Friends of Midtown -- said they wouldn't stand in the way of the development.

But other residents expressed concerns about the loss of river views and the increases in traffic that high-rise buildings along Front Street would bring.

The City Council is expected to hold hearings on the zoning changes later this month.

The Tracy Mansion is named after David Edward Tracy, who served as vice president of Harrisburg Hospital and assisted in the planning and construction of St. Patrick Cathedral. Tracy moved into the mansion around 1918.

In 1948, the building was purchased by trustees of Harrisburg Osteopathic Hospital, who converted it into a hospital.

WORMLEYSBURG

Council OKs town home development
Council approves town home plan

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The Wormleysburg Borough Council last night unanimously approved the final land development and subdivision plan for a $2.5 million luxury town home development at 10-18 N. Front St.

"I want to thank you for helping to beautify that area," Councilman Warren W. Stumpf told Dean Gekas, one of the project developers, after the vote.

Gekas said later that he and his partners want to select a builder by next week and begin construction in June on five 4,000-square-foot town homes that they expect to sell in the $650,000 price range. They still have to apply for permits.

Gekas, of Wormleysburg, and partner Scott Kuhn of Philadelphia opened a Flagstar Bank branch at 320 N. Front St. last year.

The council also unanimously approved amending the zoning ordinance to raise the maximum building height in the commercial district from 40 feet at the roof's mean point to 45 feet. Gekas and Kuhn had applied for a zoning exception to allow them to build to 50 feet and this amendment was a compromise, borough officials said.

The council also lent its support to the creation of a downtown revitalization plan.

Planning Commission Chairman Joe Deklinski suggested that a "core nucleus" of eight to 10 people be appointed to a committee to develop the plan.

The council appointed Deklinski, council President Thomas Kanganis and borough Manager Gary Berresford to a nominating committee to propose people to serve on the new committee.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 1:51 PM
Me?!?

HOORAY!!!! I still can't help but think this is a way to get at the Mayor, though...

Council OKs limited smoking ban

Harrisburg council OKs smoking ban

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Smokers can still puff away on City Island, along the Riverfront and in Harrisburg's parks under a smoking ban adopted by City Council last night.

But don't get caught smoking on a city playground or it could cost you $50.

And the new smoking ban for all city buildings apparently will force Mayor Stephen R. Reed, along with other city workers who smoke, to go outside to light up.

"Either we're going to be fined $50 a day, or we're going to quit smoking," said city spokesman Randy King, who is among the city employees who have enjoyed the long-standing privilege of lighting up at their desks.

The council voted 5-1, with one abstention, to adopt a watered-down version of the much-discussed smoking ban. President Vera Jean White voted no, and councilwoman Linda Thompson abstained.

Originally, the ban was to apply to all city parks, and it was to take effect in 60 days. But amendments by Councilwoman Patty Kim exempted parks and lengthened the phase-in period to 90 days.

"I believe banning smoking from all outdoor facilities is too broad," she said. Kim added that 90 days were needed to negotiate the ban with city labor unions as a change in working conditions.

Councilwoman Gloria Martin-Roberts, the sponsor of the measure, said she agreed to the amendments in an effort to pass some form of ban. But Thompson, another strong supporter of the bill, said the changes made the ordinance "too vague."

King said Reed has indicated his intent to veto the bill, but the council appears to have the five votes necessary to override. Reed has 10 days to decide.

"We have opposed this from the beginning," said King, adding that smoking in city buildings was limited to private offices. "This was a way at getting back at the mayor."

Citing the many changes to the bill, King said the ordinance is difficult to understand and even harder to enforce.

"There's been so many amendments, we're not even sure what they passed," he said. "How do you stop people from smoking on a playground? We can't get people to pick up after their dogs."

Deirdre C. Weaver, southcentral region cancer-control director for the American Cancer Society, praised the ban.

"It protects the health of people who work, live, as well as recreate, in Harrisburg," she said.

But many others who packed City Council chambers for last night's meeting had different issues on their minds.

Several residents related dire problems with their landlords, saying they are facing evictions within the month. Others told of problems with nearby buildings that are negatively affecting their properties.

Clarence Totten, 63, pressed the council to be more accountable with tax dollars.

"You're talking about smoking," he said. "I've smoked for 53 years. I have cancer. But that's not important to me."

King said the council should attend to more important matters. "This has never been an issue for anyone in the community," he said.

Also last night, the council voted 6-1 to adopt a resolution calling on the U.S. to begin the "orderly and rapid" withdrawal of all American military forces from Iraq.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 1:56 PM
Me?!?

This is interesting, as I had no idea Bumble Bee Hollow was even for sale?!?

UPPER ALLEN TWP.

Waiver for houses on slope rejected

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Plans to turn a driving range into a housing development appear to be buried after Upper Allen Twp. commissioners denied a waiver for the project.

Owners of the Bumble Bee Hollow Golf Center, a golf teaching and practice facility, want to build a 228-unit housing development on the 65-acre parcel from which the company takes its name.

Under the plans, 64 homes would be built on parcels with slopes in excess of 15 percent. That would violate township codes.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...610.xml&coll=1

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 2:00 PM
Me?!?

They showed the rendering on the news and the first thing I thought of was Atlantic Station in Atlanta. I see there was good reason for that now.

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
08 May 2006

MAJOR NEW SOUTHERN GATEWAY PLAN UNVEILED BY MAYOR; PROJECT EXPANDS DOWNTOWN AND EASES TRAFFIC CONGESTION

Downtown Harrisburg would be expanded and commuter traffic congestion substantially reduced as part of the major new Southern Gateway redevelopment project, Mayor Stephen R. Reed announced today as he unveiled plans for what could be the one of the largest urban renewal initiatives in state history. The Southern Gateway project was first launched in 2000 to extend S. 3rd Street from Chestnut to Paxton Street, and is now being expanded to include office, retail and residential development.

Reed said the Southern Gateway project initially involved the construction of new roadways providing access from Interstate 83 to the downtown, with S. Third Street extended to Paxton Street to provide another point in access to the down- town. Further study of the project has revealed the potential for significant additional new commercial and residential development in the project area, including including 3.1 million sq. ft. of office space, 250,000 sq. ft. of retail space and 500,000 sq. ft. of residential space. At least 6,500 new jobs and over 4,000 new parking spaces would be created by the project, which will likely involve over $1 billion in new construction.

The Mayor said the expanded project scope is contingent upon the construction of a massive new “plinth”, or underground structure that would allow for construction above it. The plinth would include underground access corridors for S. 2nd and S. 3rd Streets into the downtown, and levels of parking for as many as 4,000 vehicles. New development would occur above the plinth, dramatically expanding the downtown and providing the space for the envisioned construction of new commercial and residential structures.

Reed said plinths are currently in use in many cities around the world, and most notably in the U.S. in the City of Atlanta, Georgia, as part of the Atlantic Station. Plinths are more frequently used in European cities, where developable land is more scarce.

“This is unquestionably the largest and most comprehensive redevelopment plan ever conceived for downtown Harrisburg, and may be one of the largest such projects ever proposed in the state,” said Mayor Reed. “It involves the complete transformation of dozens of acres of currently inaccessible downtown land and provides two magnificent new entranceways into Pennsylvania’s Capital City. It will substantially add to the city’s taxbase, provide thousands of new jobs at new and expanded businesses, and allow for parking and other infrastructure development on a scale never before seen in the city.

“The project essentially doubles the size of the city’s downtown, with the transportation and other infrastructure to fully support it. It addresses not only traffic flow issues but achieves many other major public policy goals, including answering the question of where additional downtown development can occur without tearing down existing older and historic structures.”

“It is situated close to the main line of the planned Regional Rail Transit System, thus allowing intermodal means of access, and it offers highly visible sites that provide an alternative to the proliferation of the unchecked sprawl that is choking the region’s highways and destroying our precious open space.”

“This is a long-range project that may take as long as 25 years to fully realize, but it is a signature effort that defines and benefits Harrisburg for well into the 21st Century and beyond.”

The Mayor said the expanded Southern Gateway project area encompasses approximately 35 acres and is bounded by Chestnut Street to the north, Paxton Street to the south, S. 2nd Street on the west, and the Harrisburg Transportation Center and railroad lines on the east. Much of the area is currently vacant and underutilized because of its inaccessibility and location within the 100-year floodplain, which would be mitigated by the construction of the plinth.

Reed said planning on the transportation aspect of the project has been underway for nearly 8 years, with the complete redesign of I-83’s access into the downtown at its heart. The $75 million project is being funded primarily by federal transportation funds and includes the extension of S. 3rd Street to Paxton Street, the construction of new bridging over the existing rail lines, and the realignment of roadways and interstate access ramps to direct traffic onto the new 3rd Street entrance into downtown.

Other than the existing roadway enhancement aspect of the project, no design or funding estimates are currently available. The City will seek federal and state funding for planning and design work on the newly expanded development aspects of the project, and in recent weeks has begun briefing federal and state officials on the proposed plan. A combination of public and private investment funding will be sought for the project.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 8:52 PM

Condos Near I-83

I've noticed for a while now a "104 Approved Condo Units" sign on a plot of land just as you cross the south bridge onto the west shore from Harrisburg. I remember plans for stacked townhomes there, but I am pretty sure that fell through. Anyone hear any details about the latest development planned?

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 2:44 AM
joining the rail club

wow...all this new development is making me go crazy! i really like the idea of the raised plinth to support future development in the floodplain. it just makes sense. if you add the new university, commuter rail, and updating the keystone corridor to a highspeed line between Harrisburg and Philly into the picture, i think we'll see a lot more focus on the CBD and hopefully some sizeable highrise development. and just as i was about to think this area was becoming the anti...everything, it's nice to see this fantastic thought and planning for the future.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 3:22 AM
Me?!?

klingy04, I don't know anything about that but I will see what I can dig up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
and just as i was about to think this area was becoming the anti...everything, it's nice to see this fantastic thought and planning for the future.
LOL I know how you feel, Chris. It is just my luck that it looks like I will in fact be leaving the area soon and this is all about to happen. On the bright side (for me I guess) it is going to take a while to complete, so I will get to see it transform on my many visits back to the area. Which brings me to:

I know some of these are massive projects, but I don't like how long things can take in this city. Other cities can pull off big projects in a few years, here they talk about up to a decade. With how fast the world is moving and how competitive things are, I fear that once things reach completion it will be time to move on to something else...

Oh well, I still do think HBG is a good place to live now, is getting better every single day and one couldn't go wrong moving here. But I must admit that I think it will be even more fitting for (people like) me in 5-10 years.

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 1:18 PM
Me?!?

Goodbye, Harrisburg!

Well for those that haven't heard the news yet, I am moving to the Philadelphia area in two weeks. chuikov, danwxman, harrisburger, klingy04, spudmrg, wrightchr, I expect you guys to carry the torch! I will try to be as involved in the Harrisburg news as I can, but I can honestly say that I won't be able to keep up with the updates as much as I could when I lived here, so I am expecting you guys to now keep me updated!

I will try to keep the HBG news flowing until I leave but I can't make any promises, as I have A LOT to get done in the next two weeks (not to mention countless trips back and forth to Philly). Take care all of you, thanks for supporting Harrisburg and keep up the good work!

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Well for those that haven't heard the news yet, I am moving to the Philadelphia area in two weeks. chuikov, danwxman, harrisburger, klingy04, spudmrg, wrightchr, I expect you guys to carry the torch! I will try to be as involved in the Harrisburg news as I can, but I can honestly say that I won't be able to keep up with the updates as much as I could when I lived here, so I am expecting you guys to now keep me updated!

I will try to keep the HBG news flowing until I leave but I can't make any promises, as I have A LOT to get done in the next two weeks (not to mention countless trips back and forth to Philly). Take care all of you, thanks for supporting Harrisburg and keep up the good work!

thanks for all your hard work dave. it's not going to be the same place without you. i hope you will find time to post stuff on the 'burg after things settle down in your new location. i wish you the best of luck in Philly!

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 2:07 AM
Me?!?

Thanks so much for the kind words, Chris, and I hope all is going well for you these days.

Old Posted May 15, 2006, 2:24 PM
Me?!?

I got to see this briefly when I stopped in HBG over the weekend on my way to Northern PA. I am happy to see they filled in all of the empty space between the garage and the diner with seating.

And I must admit that I am a little disappointed about the hours, though, as this was touted as a 24 hr. diner for the longest time. I don't know why this was changed, but they are really missing out on the bar crowd business after they all close down!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
12 May 2006

NEW TOM SAWYER DINER OPENS ON RESTAURANT ROW; VINTAGE DINER CAR TO FEATURE AMERICAN CUISINE, LIVE ENTERTAINMENT & OUTDOOR MOVIES

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today cut the ribbon to officially open the new Tom Sawyer Diner Entertainment Complex at 210 N. 2nd Street in the heart of downtown’s Restaurant Row. The 1950’s vintage eatery will feature American cuisine, live musical entertainment and outdoor “drive-in” movies during the warmer months.

Reed said the unique new dining and entertainment attraction blends the “retro” ambience of a 1962 DeRaffele stainless steel dining car with contemporary dining and service. The new complex is jointly owned and operated by noted midstate entrepreneurs Rick Galiardo, who also owns the popular Max’s Restaurant, the NOMA nightclub and South Street Tavern, and Ron Kamionka, owner and operator of Kamionka Entertainment Group, which owns or operates 5 downtown nightlife attractions. The 11,000 sq. ft. complex will provide 70 new full and part time jobs.

The Mayor said Galiardo and Kamionka found the authentic dining car in Allentown, where it sat vacant and long forgotten. They divided the distinctive eatery into three movable pieces and trucked it to its new city location, where it was reassembled and integrated into a larger entertainment complex that features indoor dining for 100, an outdoor “car hop” area for 50, and outdoor movie theater seating for 150, reminiscent of yesteryear’s “drive-in movie” theater, where feature length films will be shown on a large movie screen during the warmer months. It further has a rooftop deck with four California fireplaces.

Reed said the new complex is geared to all ages, with an emphasis on family dining fare and entertainment, and special activities for children. Live entertainment will be featured on Friday nights, with the renowned Bill Haley and the Comets highlighting this weekend’s grand opening festivities. The complex will host activities as an event-driven attraction.

“The Tom Sawyer Diner now becomes one of the most unique and distinctive attractions in downtown,” said the Mayor, “evoking a retro era feel and ambience that will appeal to patrons of all ages. It is a signature attraction for Restaurant Row that pays homage to the simplicity of yesteryear amidst a contemporary setting. With the owners’ many years of successful restaurant and nightclub experience, we expect it to achieve great success in the coming months.”

Reed said the diner will be open for lunch, dinner and late night dining, and will feature traditional American cuisine of burgers, fries and similar “diner” fare.

The Mayor said the Tom Sawyer Diner Entertainment Complex will be open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., with food service at the diner available until Midnight.

Old Posted May 15, 2006, 4:45 PM
Me?!?

Here are some good pics of the diner so you can see what I was referring to re: the seating:

http://www.harrisburgnightlife.com/i...id=87&Itemid=2

Old Posted May 16, 2006, 1:11 PM
Me?!?

Yeah, still checking in on things. And you guys are letting me down...it's too quiet here now!

I heard that Tom Sawyer's Diner does plan to eventually extend the hours and that they are just doing these hours to get a feel for business. We'll see I guess...

VERY interesting news and I am mixed on this one. 3rd and Division is kind of out there and a little disconnected. But with all of Midtown's growth as of late, this could spur even more growth! And I would imagine with this news now out, even if the feds don't take it, HBG will be losing a rather famous landmark in the very near future...and now we see the downside to some of this progress I guess...

Zembo shrine on the block

Scottish Rite, temple owners offer site for U.S. courthouse

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

In an 11th-hour proposal, the owners of the Zembo Auditorium and the Scottish Rite Cathedral in uptown Harrisburg have offered their land as the site for a new federal courthouse.

The two fraternal organizations, facing declining membership, are looking to sell their 12 acres bounded by Division, Wiconisco, Fourth and Susquehanna streets, which includes large parking areas.

Zembo and Scottish Rite officials made their offer in a letter to the federal government this month.

The tract has been quietly marketed for about a year, according to Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed. While several developers have looked at the site, no price has been disclosed.

Local real estate agents said that because there are no comparable sales of large tracts in the city, establishing a value will be difficult.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. General Services Administration, the agency conducting the search for a courthouse site, said the GSA isn't interested in the land.

Instead, the GSA is concentrating on three sites it prefers, with a decision due this summer, GSA spokeswoman Gina Gilliam said.

"The Zembo shrine site was one of many sites considered during the early phases of the site selection process," Gilliam said. "Our focus will continue to be on the three sites."

The three sites being considered by the GSA are at Verbeke Street, bounded by North Sixth, Herr and Capital streets; at Third Street, bounded by Forster, North and Green streets; and at North Sixth and Basin streets.

Reed said the larger issue is the fact that the two fraternal organizations are looking to sell their property, which he said could lead to the demolition of the buildings there.

The well-adorned, auditorium-style buildings have been home to weddings, boxing matches, high school graduations, concerts, socials and dances. But Reed said there is limited potential for commercial or residential development of such buildings.

"You don't really have a reuse for either of those buildings," Reed said. "The real issue of that area is, what is the future of that site?"

Charles Pass, past potentate at the Zembo Auditorium, said it might be possible to build the courthouse there while retaining the landmark building.

Greg Rothman, president and CEO of RSR Realtors, said land for office development typically sells for $100,000 to $150,000 an acre in central Pennsylvania, meaning the value of the 12-acre tract could approach $1.8 million.

But Rothman added that the price could be held down by the limited use of the auditorium-type buildings, because developers would have to pay to demolish them.

"Those buildings are of no value to the federal government," Rothman said. "The buildings are a negative."

Reed noted that while the buildings are "architecturally beautiful," they are not designated historic nor are they part of any historic district.

"Our fear is that someone is going to buy it and tear it down," Reed said.

He said he pitched the Zembo Auditorium site, along with at least one other uptown tract, only to be rejected by the GSA because it deemed the land as too far outside the central business district.

"They didn't want to hear it," Reed said.

Nevertheless, leaders of the Zembo and Scottish Rite organizations, working with a real estate development firm, sent a letter to the GSA dated Thursday, the final day for written comments on the site search.

The leaders asked that their tract be considered along with the three sites picked by the agency. "The purpose of this letter is to invite serious and open-minded consideration," the organizations wrote.

Samuel R. Andrews, secretary for the Scottish Rite Cathedral and designated spokesman on the issue, declined comment yesterday.

All three sites preferred by the GSA have homes and apartments, and the Third Street site includes several businesses. Those buildings would have to be demolished to make way for a courthouse, causing public objections about all three locations.

Federal officials want to replace the U.S. courthouse at Walnut and Locust streets, which still would be used by government agencies.

Under the agency's search guidelines, the GSA wants at least 21/2 acres for a new building that would hold a minimum of eight courtrooms, along with enough land to allow 50- to 100-foot security setbacks. It also wants a location convenient to downtown and outside the 100-year floodplain.

Gilliam said the agency has been working on the project for two years and considered more than 25 sites.

'Good things don't last forever,' members realize

Tuesday, May 16, 2006
BY FORD TURNER
Of The Patriot-News

Many times, Ray Garbacik has climbed up inside the ornate orange, lavender and yellow tower that extends above the Zembo Auditorium at Third and Division streets.

He is familiar with the tunnels beneath the squat, concrete building, too. Garbacik, a Zembo member and an electrician, has done electrical work throughout the north Harrisburg landmark for decades.

But he would not be sad to see the building go.

"I'm in favor of progress," said Garbacik, 76, of Camp Hill.

Officials of the Zembo Auditorium and the Scottish Rite Cathedral have offered the properties as the site for a new federal courthouse.

Three other city locations have been under consideration for a year or more. The two fraternal organizations, which share many of the same members, formally asked the government for consideration of their proposal in a letter dated Thursday.

The letter outlined the offer of 12 acres, or four square blocks, but did not specifically say whether removal of the buildings was a possibility.

Samuel Andrews, secretary of the consistory and liaison for the proposal to the government, refused to comment.

But Charles Pass, a financial planner who is past potentate of the Zembo Auditorium, said it might be possible to build a courthouse at the location and retain the temple.

"We have excess property there that could be used," he said. "I think the location would be ideal, up there, for the courthouse."

Built in 1929, the Zembo Auditorium has been host to concerts, pancake breakfasts, and professional wrestling. Intricate tile work and a vaulted lobby ceiling greet patrons who enter the building from beneath the green awning that faces Division Street.

The Zembo Auditorium has about 5,000 members in central Pennsylvania. At the heart of its mission is philanthropy toward children.

The Zembo Shriners operate 22 hospitals for children that provide top-notch medical care, free of charge. Pass said a sale of the properties to the government "would not impact the hospital system or the care of the children in the least bit."

Central Pennsylvania children who receive Shriners care get free transportation to the organization's closest hospitals, including those in Philadelphia, Boston, Erie and Cincinnati.

Shriners doctors hold clinics for patients in the temple, but they could be moved to a different location in central Pennsylvania if they were affected by the courthouse siting, Pass said.

The concrete-and-brick Scottish Rite Cathedral was completed in 1954. It contains a ballroom with a wood floor and a 1,200-seat, sloping auditorium with an orchestra pit.

The ballroom is rented for wedding receptions and birthday parties.

Garbacik said he has done electrical work at the two buildings since 1963 and has been a member of both organizations since 1972. Finances are not nearly as strong as they were decades ago, he said.

Membership is down, the buildings generate less revenue than in the past and "our taxes are so high," he said.

Another member of both organizations, Roger Cackovic, said most members would probably like to keep both buildings. But Cackovic said he would rather see the site put to use by the federal government than by a real estate developer.

"Being realistic, good things don't last forever," he said.

Old Posted May 16, 2006, 10:36 PM
joining the rail club

^ interesting posts Dave. i don't think the feds will ever go for it though...like the first article states "the site is too far outside the central business district". in my opinion it makes the most sense due to the fact that residential and commerical properties would not be razed.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 8:25 PM
so what's the big deal?

I found a rendering of the proposed Harrisburg Southern Gateway project connecting I-83 with a new section of downtown H'brg.

I'd say this view is looking north after leaving I-83. The lanes would pass under the new office buildings and then connect with the current downtown district.

It looks awesome!

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 9:00 PM
Me?!?

WOW!!! Thanks for the pic, MJBJR! I know it's just a rendering and a lot can change, but I would like to see taller buildings in this area and I hope the city/developers don't miss out on that opportunity.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 9:28 PM
Me?!?

I figured I would check in and see what has been going on these days and found this article. This is certainly annoying, and squabbling over 10 ft. at most?!? *yawn* Also, I am surprised to hear the news that Bella Mundo's is moving, seeing as they were on my street in my old 'hood and a nice addition to Shipoke:

HARRISBURG

Condo height proposal questioned

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg zoning officials may have set their sights too high when proposing 110-foot buildings for a portion of North Front Street.

Zoning director Dan Leppo has argued that raising the height limits from the current 45 feet to 110 feet is necessary to spur condominium development at several underdeveloped Front Street tracts between Verbeke and Maclay streets.

But the chairman of the City Council committee reviewing the zoning changes has sent the measure back for a re-write.

"My concern is looking at Harrisburg 50 years into the future," Councilman Dan Miller said. "Front Street may be the greatest asset that we have as a city. Do we want to open this door?"

Other proposed changes for the eight-block stretch of North Front would open the historic street to hotels and restaurants. There are none there now.

But Miller's chief concern seems to be the proposed 110-foot height limit for condo buildings.

"Maybe we could make it 90 feet," Miller said. "Maybe we could make it 80 feet. We're trying to find out what may be a good alternative."

A 110-foot building is not unprecedented on Harrisburg's Front Street. That's the height of Linden Terrace, a retirement high-rise built in 1978.

It sits at Front and Verbeke streets in what would be the start of the new zone.

Far from viewing Linden Terrace as an example to be followed, Miller said he sees the building as an out-of-character mistake that he doesn't want to repeat.

"I don't know how it got through," he said.

Another provision of the proposed zoning ordinance would seek to protect pre-1950 buildings by attempting to bar developers from demolishing them to build high-rises.

In fact, Leppo says allowing some larger scale development there could actually save Front Street's charm.

He said establishing a limited area for high-rise, hotel and restaurant development and restricting the demolition of pre-1950 structures would channel such projects away from cherished buildings that help make Front Street the "face of the city."

"There are development pressures along Front Street," Leppo warned. "We are trying to direct them in an appropriate way."

He added that taller buildings are necessary for developers to recoup their sizable investments.

For example, the vacant, 19,000-square-foot lot at Front and Verbeke is listed at $1.5 million. Add to that the cost to build condos, and it means that developers must build more units in higher buildings to turn a profit, Leppo said.

Miller, who lives on the 2200 block of North Second Street, said he doesn't want to see another project like the nearby Korman Apartments, which he says wall off the river. "Are we really creating even more of a problem?" he asked.

Aside from the lot at Front and Verbeke, the zoning changes would have an immediate impact on a plan to develop the Tracy Mansion into a restaurant and up to 50 condos.

Susquehanna Real Estate hopes to build a 92-foot-high condominium building on a lot next to the mansion at 1829 N. Front St. Units would start at about $300,000.

And Char Magaro would move her popular Char's Bella Mundo restaurant from Shipoke to the Tracy mansion.

City officials say the project is awaiting the proposed zoning changes. However, there is no timetable for when council might act on the changes.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 1:10 AM
joining the rail club

i think the 110 ft zoning proposal for front street is appropriate. it's only about 34m or so...which in reality, isn't that high.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 5:10 AM
Me?!?

HIA blames airline cuts for passenger declines

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Passenger traffic keeps dropping at Harrisburg International Airport.

The number of travelers who used the airport fell nearly 18 percent in April when compared to April 2005, the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns HIA, reported yesterday.

In 2005, the number of passengers was down 6 percent from 2004. This year, the number has been down every month when compared to 2005. So far this year, the passenger count is down nearly 15 percent from 2005.

As in past months, the authority and HIA officials blame the decline on airlines that serve the airport reducing the number of seats available. The authority pointed to 71 percent of seats being filled on planes that used HIA in April 2006 as evidence that if the airlines make more seats available, more tickets could be sold.

HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said financially strapped airlines are reducing seats at airports nationwide to drive up fares and absorb rising fuel costs. Airlines serving HIA had 22 percent fewer seats available to travelers in April when compared to April 2005.

On June 10, US Airways will resume Saturday nonstop service between HIA and Orlando, Fla. On July 2, Northwest Airlines will resume nonstop service between HIA and Minneapolis-St. Paul.

DAN MILLER / The Patriot-News

AIRPORT DEAL

Building at HIA to be sold

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, which owns Harrisburg International Airport, has agreed to sell a building at HIA for nearly $2.1 million to Aero Services International Inc.

Aero occupies the building and seeks to expand, the authority said.

Aero is the airport's fixed-based operator, meaning it provides services such as fueling, maintenance, hangar and tie-down space and flight instruction.

The airport also will receive about $158,000 a year in proceeds from leases that are being turned over to Aero as part of the deal. This is a net revenue increase to the airport of about $90,000 a year, HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said.

Aero will lease an additional eight acres of land from the airport. The company may seek to build another hangar on the property, said John Reedy, HIA's deputy director of finance, properties and contracts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations