HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Capitol Grand Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Sacramento Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 5:28 AM
Kodachrome

SACRAMENTO | Capitol Grand Tower | 965' Pinnacle / 771' Roof | 70 FLOORS

Capitol Grand (in-color)

These are photos of the renderings that were given to me on 11 x 17 sheets
of paper. I wanted to scan them but they are just to big.

Anyway, like I have said before, the NEW Capitol Grand rendering that is
nearly finished with the EIR process is 965' to the top of the spire. To the
top of the structure is 771' and the spire on top rises up 194' to the final
height of 965'. To meet parking requirements with the city the tower has
7 of above ground parking and 6 below. The below grade parking would go
down 75' and have slurry walls of 3 feet thick surrounding the hole.

My only real complaint at this point is the look of the base at the street
level. It has a bunker quality about it... could use a little work.

The Tower would use 5 different types of stone, 2 different types of glass,
2 different types of metal and 3 different types of concrete. I think that
pretty impressive for a tower of this size.

The big question... will it be built???

OLD Version

Capitol Grand Tower

Developers: Mo Mohanna and California Medical Group
Architect: Nadel Architects Inc
Contractor: Tishman Construction

12th and J Street
280 Condo's
200 Hotel Rooms
50,000 Office Space
56 Stories
701 Feet
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sa...08/story1.html

Downtown skyline may grow higher yet
J Street tower plan expands to 54 stories (now 56)

A proposed high-rise condominium building may become a much-larger -- and pricier -- 54-story tower after gaining a major partner.

Prominent downtown businessmen Mohammed "Mo" Mohanna and John Lambeth, in partnership with the California Medical Association, are planning a $250 million high-rise project on the northeast corner of 12th and J streets. Lambeth and Mohanna had earlier planned a 32-story, $65 million tower before the medical association joined the project.

The Capitol Grand Tower would include about 280 condominiums, 200 hotel rooms and 50,000 square feet of offices.

"We believe strongly in the future of luxury, high-rise condominium living in downtown Sacramento and are anxious to provide a quality product for that market," Lambeth said.

The medical association is committed to making downtown a viable place for people to work and play, said spokeswoman Karen Nikos.

Mohanna and Lambeth would contribute Mohanna's Grand Ballroom building at 1215 J St. to the venture, while the association would chip in its headquarters building next door, Lambeth said.

Both buildings would be razed to make way for the high-rise.

It is not yet clear what financial arrangements were made between the medical association and the developers.

The new structure would rival the twin, 54-story towers John Saca is building on Capitol Mall at 3rd Street. Saca's project would include 804 condos.

Nearby, developer Craig Nassi is building "Aura," a 38-story, 265-condo high-rise at 6th Street and Capitol Mall.

Capitol Grand Tower would contain about 1 million square feet -- about the size of a regional shopping mall. The state medical association would move into the new office space.

The plan is far more ambitious than the tower that Mohanna and Lambeth proposed on their own in 2004. Their concept, using just the ballroom building, also would have had 200 hotel rooms and about 100 condos, although the numbers changed as the plan proceeded.

The partners have not submitted a formal application for the most recent -- and larger -- version to the city. But they have given city planners a heads-up and will submit a new plan, said city planner Evan Compton.

Mohanna said Capitol Grand Tower condos would likely sell for prices similar to those being built by Saca and Nassi on Capitol Mall. Those projects are selling units from about $450,000 to $1 million, depending on location.

The Capitol Grand Tower partnership has hired Nadel Architects Inc. in Los Angeles to design the structure. Tishman Construction of New York City is tagged as the construction manager.

The partners will probably hire a veteran high-rise developer to oversee the project.

Negotiations are under way with two candidates, Mohanna said.

He added there would be eight levels of parking, including five stories underground. Mohanna said there would be little retail in the building.

The Capitol Grand Tower probably won't be completed until after the first Saca and Nassi projects are finished, so it would not compete with them.

Saca, Nassi and others are planning at least four more condo towers that could be competitors.
But there could be a market for all of them, because Sacramento is evolving into a "mature urban environment," that includes high-rise condo projects, said Dave MacIntosh, regional director for Hanley Wood Market Intelligence.

Sacramento, he said, is catching up to Portland, Miami, Cleveland, Vancouver, British Columbia, and other urban cores that have seen many high-rise projects in the past few decades.

The high-rise condo trend results from a combination of forces, including long commutes from the suburbs, less land (which encourages building upward), and the belief by some homebuyers that downtown living can be rewarding.

While there will likely be a long-term demand for high-rise condos, sales could suffer if too many hit the market at once, or if the prices are too high, cautioned Greg Paquin, owner of The Gregory Group in Folsom.

Mohanna has been a downtown landlord for three decades. He is also a partner with Saca in the planned redevelopment of the south side of the 800 block of K Street. Saca is planning two towers with a combined 600 units on that site.

Last edited by innov8; Mar 16, 2007 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 5:33 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

So do we know how much office space the California Medical Association intends to use???

Thanks for finding and posting this new rendering by Nadel....

This tower is going to look sharp on Sacramento's growing skyline....
Much more sophisticated than the last proposal and I think having a squared floor plate will mean a consitently attractive tower from the North, South, East or West exposures...
Something that might not have happend with the former L shaped floor plate proposal.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 5:55 AM

it looks different from the renders i saw earlier but at 701 feet i can care less.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 6:15 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Nadel is now the architectural firm, with Tishman Construction of New York as the lead contractor.

Nadel has a lot more credibility than the former architect (or imho).

http://www.nadelarc.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing the color renderings...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 6:24 AM
Resu Deretsiger

has a timeline been set for this thing yet?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 6:30 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK
has a timeline been set for this thing yet?

Well proposals are moving through the Matrix (planning department) in under a year, from proposal to approval.

They already have a Contractor lined up (Tishman), so who knows...??

The Towers (301 CM) took 10 months from proposal to approval and this is a smaller proposal.

With the Sheraton Grand right across the street, J street will be a huge mess during demolition of the exisitng Grand Ballroom and California Medical Association building and construction of the Tower.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 6:32 AM
Kodachrome

^
^
^ Not that I have heard... I beleive once they start going through the
process a timeline will be set. My guess is summer/fall of next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter
Nadel is now the architectural firm, with Tishman Construction of New York as the lead contractor.

Nadel has a lot more credibility than the former architect (or imho).

http://www.nadelarc.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing the color renderings...
Thanks for the link... they have done some good stuff, a lot of color in their building.
The Bank of China is a striking highrise that could be used as a reference
for what the Capitol Grand might look like.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 6:31 AM

This is labeled as Scheme 6, it would be interesting to see the other schemes that were considered.
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 12:31 PM
Not far from Disneyland

The top of the building in this rendering reminds me a little of the top of the Chateau Frontinac in Quebec City.

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 3:43 PM
Chaos Machine

This kind of reminds me of the Millenia Tower in Singapore, except of course that that is an office building, but it is even a similar height at 715 ft. I am liking the strong defined horizontal lines on this one. From the black and white renderings, this building looks like it will have a lot of texture to it, including the roof. I also can't wait to see the color renderings.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious
This kind of reminds me of the Millenia Tower in Singapore, except of course that that is an office building, but it is even a similar height at 715 ft. I am liking the strong defined horizontal lines on this one. From the black and white renderings, this building looks like it will have a lot of texture to it, including the roof. I also can't wait to see the color renderings.
I can't wait for the colors either. I want to see how everything will fit together.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 3:32 PM

Sweet. For a city of Sacramento's size, it should have taller buildings. I hope this gets built.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 4:22 PM
Go Pens!

i like it, go Sacremento!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 4:29 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Does anyone have a rendering how this will fill in the skyline? I love the fact that this is a mixed use skyscraper - it makes it more likely to be constructed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 7:34 PM

I'm definitely liking that second rendering better. I'm curious to see what materials are going to be used, color scheme, lighting, etc. Like others have said, I think those elements will either make or break this tower.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 11:23 PM

The top also looks like CalEPA's top with the glass and the greenhouse.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 2:50 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedpez
The top also looks like CalEPA's top with the glass and the greenhouse.

That wont fly with the Design Review Board if they're proposing a screen ala CalEPA..

I'm still thinking it's much more ornamental than CalEPA, which only looks decent when viewing it from the South (to the North)

I think they're trying to play off the historical design of the Mansard roof on the the Joie de Vivre up the street...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 11:34 PM
Kodachrome

Capitol Grand Construction Materials

The Proposed Exterior Materials: Metal & Glass, Curtain Wall Metal Panel, Pre-cast Concete & Stone.

Roof Materials: Built-up & Metal

Proposed Exterior Building Colors: Warm & Light Colors

I beleive the top will be a Curtain Wall Metal Panels

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 1:04 AM
Highrise

The top reminds me of the Manchester Grand Hyatt here in San Diego, which is one of my favorite buildings and very easy to spot in the skyline, I think its going to be a great design once we see the color hues

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 2:54 AM
The Fountain

I like it! Looks classy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive