HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:54 AM

If this development is in another location i.e. not directly in front of a rather historic building that has millions of dollars going into redevelopment then yes, I guess you could characterize any design criticism as “petty squabbling”.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Isn't it a good thing that we are at a stage that we have the luxury of petty squabbling about a building design...?
Amen. Most weren't here in the days when rumours of Credit Union Central and a new HSC wing would take up pages of the main construction thread. When I first started lurking almost 15 years ago, if someone would have told me we'd have several high-rises under construction but yet be complaining about cladding, I'd have laughed.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:01 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
The Pizza Place at Donald and York burned down and they rebuilt it. The ugly apartment next door is a downer but maybe you could build a nice 4-6 story structure there.

Maybe a parkade. /S
That was in 1986.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 2:36 PM

^haha I was trying to think of what the hell burnt down?? I was likely an infant when that happened haha.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That 90s attitude needs to go away: just do whatever you want, forget design standards. Hell, put a McDonald's with a huge surface lot and drive through on the empty lot opposite the convention centre; why not?
I'm not sure that's entirely what he was saying... nor is it a McDonald's going to get anyone going downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Mmhmmmmmmm.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlp89 View Post
If this development is in another location i.e. not directly in front of a rather historic building that has millions of dollars going into redevelopment then yes, I guess you could characterize any design criticism as “petty squabbling”.
I think we're failing to remember how many proposals have come and gone for this building, and the HUGE costs required to restore the historic part - especially considering the pumphouse itself will house very little development and have very little profit potential.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think we're failing to remember how many proposals have come and gone for this building, and the HUGE costs required to restore the historic part - especially considering the pumphouse itself will house very little development and have very little profit potential.
Exactly.

However, the high interest in this property should indicate some value for its history in the eyes of any potential developer... or maybe evereyone else snapped up the other lots.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Exactly.

However, the high interest in this property should indicate some value for its history in the eyes of any potential developer... or maybe evereyone else snapped up the other lots.
This is a great project in a great location. A very rationally designed project with a great outcome. I see nothing wrong in this case providing the site for free and freezing the increased taxation for 15 years to achieve this out come. The Pumphouse has been reutilized and 2 parking lots will create housing in a very inovative way...

The tax credit is vital to attract this type of development and costs the city nothing...

No credit, no more development ...

The price of construction of a small unique project like this huge...

Now back to an Alexander Dock solution...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
This is a great project in a great location. A very rationally designed project with a great outcome. I see nothing wrong in this case providing the site for free and freezing the increased taxation for 15 years to achieve this out come. The Pumphouse has been reutilized and 2 parking lots will create housing in a very inovative way...

The tax credit is vital to attract this type of development and costs the city nothing...

No credit, no more development ...

The price of construction of a small unique project like this huge...

Now back to an Alexander Dock solution...
i completely agree that this is a prime example of well used tax initiatives. it would be hopeless otherwise.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:22 AM

Yup, and they were getting almost nothing in taxes before, so it's still a net gain.

As development starts to mature here, and people question how public money should be spent.. maybe it's time to rejig the program for a bit. Put a focus on restoring derelict buildings. Once those are getting snapped up, the area should be healthy enough, and land values high enough, that we don't need to subsidize parking lot developments - they'll be a hot commodity.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone have any updates on this im curently up north working

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:56 AM

Still chugging along, most of the windows have been replaced, mostly interior work so far. No action on either of the new buildings yet.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:05 PM

They started digging in the NE corner of the property today. Looks like they're getting underway with the east building.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Cool pictures here from CenterVenture on Twitter

https://twitter.com/centreventure/st...86115255427072
https://twitter.com/centreventure/st...86115255427072

for some reason I don't know how to post these ones. There is no option to "copy Image Location" and I'm to lazy to copy to a hosting site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:39 PM

I usually right click on the image, then go to properties. The URL is available for there to copy. There used to be an option to copy URL when right clicking, but that seems to have disappeared.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres allways the source code. and if one cant read it go to w3schools.com and use their tutorials to make a website and play around be surprized how easy it actualy is to code a website

or u can just go to cv proper tweet page and get the images

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:12 PM
What could go wrong?

It will be an amazing work/office space.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It will be an amazing work/office space.
Agreed. Are there plans to restore all the gears and everything? Right now they still look dirty / rusty but not sure if just construction. I thought I read somewhere it would just be like a large 'industrial art' type sculpture in the common area / lobby of the building that all the offices look down onto.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:05 PM

New rendering

New rendering for the pumphouse redevelopemnt...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan