HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:35 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

It would be much nicer if eventually they landscaped all the area in and around these areas. At the moment it's a mess.

Someone asked about what kind of vacancies all these towers will cause. The maximum figure for how many people all the 20 or so towers in this area can accomodate is around 20,000. This is considering 8 units per floor (where 2 people live in the one apartment) and not taking into account any parking levels, mechanical floors, etc. If you were to calculate the real figure taking into account everything it would be around 15,000 I think.

More worrying are the construction of more office towers. If one of the world trade centre towers had more people working in them than all 20 towers in the tallest block then you can see what kind of vacancies would occur if many office towers were not occupied.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:49 AM

i read on the news that Dubai's population grown 9% in the last 4 months..

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 8:10 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
i read on the news that Dubai's population grown 9% in the last 4 months..
Yeah that is probably right looked up on cia world factbook not to long ago and the United Arab emirates is at the top of both population increase in % and immigration in rate in % and thats for the whole world

Btw just had a look at some of the 2006 pictures in this thread and its amazing to compare them to Dubai marina as of today abit hard to belive its the same city the developement has happened so fast back then even Crown of the emirates was just around 100 meters and rising and the 38 old styled Highrises was just finishing along with The marriot hotel.

just found some aerial pictures that was taken of the Dubai marina in 2005 by Brian J. McMorrow.

this is probably the best way to see how fast Dubai and especially the Dubai marina has grown in the last few years sorry for bad quality as mentioned earlier the photos dont belong to me

all Images are Copyright Brian J. McMorrow 1999-2010

Brian J. McMorrows picture homepage with more fantastic images http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/

if anybody have or are able to find fresh aerials of Dubai marina from roughly the same angles that would be splendid then u will really get too see the complete difference.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Nov 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Some great pictures from www.skyscraperlist.com
http://www.skyscraperlist.com/showth...tography/page3

The pentominium will eventually appear behind Marina 101 and Elite Residence and will be around the same height as demonstrated by this mast.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Oh yes, and also a gigapixel image here:
http://gigapan.org/gigapans/65771/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 11:14 PM

Thanks alot for digging up those fantastic pictures from skyscraper list malec

and that Marina Gigapan cowering all the way from the Jebel ali power stations to the al Khazim towers are mindbogglingly cool.

and Infinity tower went up rather fast during this year i was looking down at it from the Marriot hotel`s 230 meter sky bar in early march.

was abit unshure about the Twin tower development with the Grosvenor house but i think it turned out rather well.

My flickr photo stream

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Dec 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 11:24 AM
Website Manager

Here'a an interactive map showing the supertall construction at the Dubai Marina - http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/map...6&t=k&status=1

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 12:21 AM

very cool nice addition to the forums

much easier to keep track of the exact position of the projects

My flickr photo stream

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 1:05 AM

Dubai is an architects dream land!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:06 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture and Art View Post
I would say it's a skyscraper lover's dreamland but, at times, it's a bit of an architect's nightmare! The marina is looking pretty cool nonetheless.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 4:51 AM
World Machine

The density / concentration of these buildings are impressive, but in no way are they architectural ‘dreams’. The only exception I would make is for the Infinity.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 8:44 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i would also add Pentominium once it gets up there. the quality of the glass will determine the buildings slender/sexy-ness.

and the al fattan towers (aka oasis beach hotel), which imo are among the better dubai towers.

link

link

as well as ocean heights which i stopped liking but then fell in love with.

link

link

dubai has a lot of really nice designs, there's just too many awkward shapes near each other to create a harmonious skyline, and 80% of the boxy ones are ugly as hell! The Jumeirah Beach Residences were a horrible mistake!

Last edited by Aleks; Dec 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture and Art View Post
i totally agree the amount of crazy designs getting finished is staggering and much of the time it seems that nothing is to bad or bold.

And i also hawe to agree that many of the very good and special design are too close to other skyscrapers that are just as well designed and special.

and the Marina heights and the Tamani hotel is a very good example of that. But then again the general Dubai marina tall block has the same color theme and looks very good, as that other picture put up by fabb shows very well.

And all of the Jumireah beach residence buildings kinda gives a very good contrast to all of the 21 century and science fiction designs that is all over Dubai id say.

And its a great place to walk through its like city of its own really with a complete street net for walking between all 40+ towers wich is elevated over the car roads. And they also totally isolates the twin towers Al Fattan Tower and Oasis Beach Tower so that their design really can be appreciated.

and there are several shops and some diners along the streets but not to many or dense so it feels like walking in a much smaller city

here is some pictures that i took in March 2010 wich i think shows of the beauty of the Jumireah Walk

almoust looks like you are in that Yemen highrise city isntead really sometimes.

one of the most beautiful parts of the Jumireah walk

looking out towards the modern styled Dubai

My flickr photo stream

Last edited by Infernal_Elf; Feb 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 7:36 AM
Mile High City

Great pics

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Elf View Post

And i also hawe to agree that many of the very good and special design are too close to other skyscraper that are just as well designed and special.
That's because we have too much visual information to absorb in a short time.
In a while, some of the skyscrapers will become classics while others will fall into oblivion. It's a matter time, really.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 8:35 PM

If only they included street-facing retail in each of those bases in the Tallest Block instead of tucking them away in a backyard-facing mall, the neighborhood would've been one hell of an urban, vibrant place. What a missed opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
dubai has a lot of really nice designs, there's just too many awkward shapes near each other to create a harmonious skyline, and 80% of the boxy ones are ugly as hell! The Jumeirah Beach Residences were a horrible mistake!
I actually like the JBR a lot. It's a massive chunk of "background" buildings, not meant to stand out as individual landmarks, but rather to give mass, density and presence to the area. If the towers all had individual designs, it would've made the place look like a total hodge-podge of postmodernist designs, randing from cool to mediocre to downright ugly. At their current state, the towers aren't the best out there, but they have a certain quiet dignity about them. With their light beige design, an almost classic, New York Art Deco massing (minus the detailing and proportions, obviously, but still not too bad), and an overall composition that mirrors the old, Yemeni-style Arabic highrise typology (as it's been said earlier), the complex actually works. Its monotony should be broken down further when the front of the JBR is (eventually, hopefully) lined with highrise hotels, creating the same effect as can be currently observed on the other side of the JBR - where you have several trophy buildings like Bay Central standing right next to the water, backed by a harmonious backgrop of unobtrusive, dignified background buildings.

Dubai's problem was the amount of unprecedented development that transformed the city's skyline over one decade in a more drastic manner than ever in human history. However, the city had no highrise heritage to draw inspiration from, so it just became a wild experimental developer playground. It's like a teenager who suddenly got millions in inheritance and doesn't know how to spend the money properly. Thus, after the crisis stabilizes, I can forsee Dubai developments switching from quantity to quality, with less attention on simply clogging the market with office space and condos and with more emphasis on creating unique, convenient buildings that can compete in Dubai's oversaturated market.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:24 AM

I was in Dubai few days ago,i edited a quick video mix about some skyscrapers,hope u like it
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ach, du.

What a fantastic videos! Thanks!

Such a futuristic place. Love it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 5:55 AM

Amazing video. I noticed Dubai is clean and beautifully-landscaped at street level. I also love their 16-lane expressways and freeways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive