HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 2:52 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
To some extent architectural style is just a matter of personal taste. But on the other hand, there is an ongoing architectural discourse and a building can either add to it or not.

In terms of contributing to this discourse, the Terraces adds about as much as this building:

The Slovenian building may be ugly by many standards, but it certainly adds something to the discourse. Simple as that.

I want to live in a city which contributes to the discourse (and not just in terms of architecture), not one which remains in obscure irrelevancy.
very funny. I agree. I hate new-old architecture. Look at that fake mansard Second Empire roof on Amica. It's a pathetic tip-of-the-hat to the past. the problem is LACK OF IMAGINATION. and GUTS with our developers.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:41 AM

Update as of this weekend.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:47 AM
Closed account

Love that Coke ghost sign. Thank goodness it's still visible.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 6:31 AM
Closed account

finally! thanks much for the update. it's a bit early to pass judgement.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:47 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

How much are the apartments selling for in this building, assuming there are any left on the market. I'd imagine most were sold off spec.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:54 PM
Closed account

^^ They're actually rental units.

For more info, it says to call 905-524-2985.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:20 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Ah, pity.

Until I actually move to Hamilton I won't really know what I'm looking for, but I was curious how much it would have cost to buy a place that central. It's such a great location.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:54 PM
Closed account

Those units are supposed to be 'affordable housing'. Their City Place apts across the street aren't too bad from what I remember, but I can't find a listing for them.
Their units are relatively no frill units. I guess that's what keeps the rent down.

This area is very central, yes. But also very loud (traffic, buses, kareoke-singing patrons haha).

If you want a central neighbourhood w/ all the frills of living on a main street, try Corktown (just south of this building), Durand (although it's a lil pricey), Central Hamilton (a lil east of Downtown, yet still very accessible and prolly the next big RE hood in Hamilton), or Strathcona (by Copps Colliseum & Hess Village), or even the North End (by the bay).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:51 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
If you want a central neighbourhood w/ all the frills of living on a main street, try Corktown (just south of this building), Durand (although it's a lil pricey), Central Hamilton (a lil east of Downtown, yet still very accessible and prolly the next big RE hood in Hamilton), or Strathcona (by Copps Colliseum & Hess Village), or even the North End (by the bay).
See what bit of local knowledge does :-) Roll on next January! Will check these areas out when I next visit in October.

What do you mean by "the next big RE hood"?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
What do you mean by "the next big RE hood"?
Sorry, I mean 'big Real Estate neighbourhood'
The South-East End seems to be the area of choice for most new Hamiltonians and even Toronto ex-pats. Although I think Durand is more their 'style', Central Hamilton & the East End are way better priced. Same size houses/yards, almost half the price (in some cases).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:48 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Maybe this conversation should be in a totally different thread lol

Based on my observations from my week long fact finding stay in Hamilton in April, I'd prefer to live central/westish. Just because there's more going on and since I don't drive (or want to drive), I want pretty much everything to be walkable.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:35 AM

Someone was asking about prospective neighbourhoods in one of my photothreads too:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...42#post3636942

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:30 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

:-) Just had a look, your photo threads flar were invaluable when I went to visit in April. I'm going again in Oct for another fact finding mission before my move early next year. I'll probably start a thread closer to the time asking for local info.

People have said some horrible things about the place, but I'm actually looking forward to my move.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:43 AM

Just made a new thread about moving to Hamilton"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153676

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 10:44 AM

Eleven storeys where high hopes live
Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 1, 2008)

The moment has been a long time coming, but on King East near Wellington they're nearly ready to welcome 11 storeys of new residents into the core.

There's an open house tomorrow afternoon from 1 to 4 for people who think they might like to live at the Terraces on King, the apartment tower that has risen slowly from a site of long despair.

In 1911, lawyer Sanford Biggar -- once mayor of Hamilton -- built a fine three-storey apartment block and called it the St. Denys. After a few generations, however, it was no longer an address to be envied.

Still, there was affordable housing over the stores in the St. Denys block. But everyone got evicted in the early '90s when a developer arrived with ambitious plans.

He got nowhere. In the mid-'90s, the St. Denys was bought by the Spallacci Group, a family that has been building highrises and homes in the Hamilton area and beyond for some 50 years.

The company sat on the property, waiting for the right deal. And that came along in 2005 with something called Strong Start, an affordable rental housing program.

Spallacci would erect a 123-unit $16.5 million building and the city would kick in $1.8 million, plus a combined provincial and federal contribution of $8.6 million.

The first estimate was that tenants would be moving in by spring of 2007. But permits took time, the weather was unco-operative and construction in a tight space like King Street East brings all manner of challenges.

There's no sideyard, no back yard. Everything has to come in the front door -- steel, drywall, flooring, plumbing, lights.

And cement. The trucks had to perform a tricky ballet on that narrow piece of King East. At the peak, there was a new cement truck rolling in every 15 minutes.

So traffic sometimes got clogged. And the sidewalk has been shut down through the whole project. Yet the crews building the tower made no enemies.

"People around here like us," says Joe Amaral, carpenters' foreman. "This building is good for the city."

He is halfway through a platter of sausage and potato salad, served to him and 50 co-workers this week, topped off by a big cake decorated like a construction site.

The lunch was the work of Mary Pocius and friends. She runs the International Village business association and wanted to say thank you to the tower's crew.

"We'll miss these guys," she says. "They've done their job brilliantly."

Pocius has had many successes on her stretch of street. But the boarded-up St. Denys kept her awake at night. "It's my Lister Block," she once declared.

So now, as workers place the final bricks, smooth the stucco, bolt on the rails, she is filled with gratitude.

There was an event along the way that made many happy. When Spallacci knocked the St. Denys down in the spring of 2006, it revealed a huge and wonderfully preserved billboard painted a century ago on the wall of the Denninger's flagship store.

It said: "Drink Coca-Cola. Delicious and Refreshing! Relieves Fatigue. Sold Everywhere. Five Cents."

Many came by to get pictures of the lost art. Then, as the Terraces rose, the Coke work slipped from sight.

Yet here we are drinking it in again from the east window of a model suite on the second floor. A conversation piece for sure.

Other features -- ceramic in the bathroom, open-concept kitchen and, in many units, sliding patio doors opening to french balconies that look out to the harbour or escarpment.

In the back, there's a large garden common area. In front, an airy entrance, with granite-look flooring , coffered ceiling, big chandelier.

Downtown will have truly turned the corner when developers decide to erect such buildings without government incentives, just the way condos are going up now in downtowns like Burlington, Oakville, Toronto.

The Terraces on King are an important step in making the core more vibrant, but the people living here will not have the resources to leave much in the tills of downtown shops, restaurants, theatre.

For 20 years, rents in the building are required to stay 20 per cent below market. The opening rents at the Terraces -- $480 to $623 for a one-bedroom; $565 to $692 for a two-bedroom. Utilities will add another $75 or so.

But to qualify, you must have a household income of no more than $28,000. That's somebody earning about $14 an hour.

Rudi Spallacci thinks people will be proud to move in here.

And he says his family's company will be managing the Terraces on King itself.

"We want to make sure this place is looked after properly. Then people keep it clean, keep it nice. That's what you want."

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post

Downtown will have truly turned the corner when developers decide to erect such buildings without government incentives, just the way condos are going up now in downtowns like Burlington, Oakville, Toronto.
That's key. It can't be considered charity just to build a building in the core. Yet that's all that is being built these days.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 4:22 AM

A few more up-dates.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 5:18 AM
Hammer'd

It actually amazes me how good this building has turned out.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:09 PM

I'm impressed.

It looks much better than I thought it would. It's a nice addition to our downtown.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

They did a fantastic job blending in with the streetscape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton