Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:05 AM
Closed account

Fabtabulous......I raise a Glass

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'm just puzzled how an event held in Winnipeg for $141 million in 1999 balloons to $2.4 billion in 16 years, I know there`s inflation but....
A lot of the venues are permanent such as the velodrome, it'll be the only international size velodrome in Canada, the only one is in LA.

They'll also build not one, not two, not three but four Olympic-size pools around the region. Ontario doesn't have a single Olympic-size pool. So you can start to understand why it's a $1.4 billion budget for sporting venues.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:23 AM
I am a typical

I thought the Complex pool here was Olympic sized but apparently it is bigger.

Has Toronto hosted any large-scale sporting events? I can't think of a single one.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:33 AM
It's Hammer Time

Nope, the only large sporting event that took place in Southern Ontario is the 1930 British Empire Games in Hamilton, brought us Ivor Wynne. You can calculate the age of the stadium plus one, 1929.

Toronto/Hamilton region has lost two Olympic bids, two Commonwealth bids and failed on a World Fair bid. Finally some luck.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:59 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ontario doesn't have a single Olympic-size pool.
Toronto, the GTA and Ontario have numerous Olympic sized pools. (Every city that hosted the Canada games has one as do many Toronto Y's) What has been missing in the past is pools with large stadia - not a big driver to deveopling swimmers. Also, in North York is an Olympic calibre diving facility (again same for all cities that have hosted the Canada games). So nothing new here.

There are two main reasons for the big price delta from Winnipeg - first off Winnipeg mainly revamped the facilities from 67 games and secondly Winnipeg didn't tie a huge urban renewal/athletes village component to their games. Well I guess there is a third reason, how could Toronto do anything that isn't "world class" in nature.

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Nov 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:31 AM
Capitalist

Congrats to Toronto & Hamilton on winning the Pan AM Games.

It is truely an amazing event ... I was at the 99 Games in Winnipeg, which were the second largest sporting event ever held in Canada, if measured by the number of athletes, after the Montreal Olympics. The sporting events were great, and the nightly Pan American entertainment was amazing... felt a little like Miami for a couple weeks.

Many of the events count towards the qualifiing standing for the Olympic Games and thus does attract many of the worlds best athletes from North and South America. The baseball events caught alot of attention from major media outlets of many nationalities. The Soccer/Football events will surely be a huge event as well.

The budget for the Toronto games is nothing short of impressive. I would have loved to have seen half as much built for the Winnipeg Games, alas all Winnipeg got was a bunch of retro fits and one million dollars towards a minor league baseball park. I really think Winnipeg was robbed when it came to funding of its games, but thats all in the past. Here is hoping that Toronto is caught up in all the excitement of the games as Winnipeg was 10 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 2:12 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
$2.4 billion total??? It's only the Pan Am games(It's basically the US-Canada-Mexico and a bunch of small countries).
Brazil is a small country?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 2:36 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Olympic Games 1976... Can we say we're bigger than them
Calgary can say we are slightly bigger also on account of the '88 Winter Olympics...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 3:10 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Don't forget beach volleyball powerhouse Brazil! If they even have beach volleyball at the Pan Am games.

I'm just puzzled how an event held in Winnipeg for $141 million in 1999 balloons to $2.4 billion in 16 years, I know there`s inflation but....
glen Murray was on CBC radio and said part of the reason it was so cheap is that it was the second time they'd held the games so they already had most of the facilities.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 3:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

Toronto's will be far more impressive also.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
A lot of the venues are permanent such as the velodrome, it'll be the only international size velodrome in Canada, the only one is in LA.

They'll also build not one, not two, not three but four Olympic-size pools around the region. Ontario doesn't have a single Olympic-size pool. So you can start to understand why it's a $1.4 billion budget for sporting venues.
I am shocked that Ontario doesn't have at least ONE Olympic sized pool?! It's no wonder our international swimming programs pale in comparison to other countries, if our most populated province/city don't have the proper facilities.

Congrats to Toronto, and awesome that Hamilton gets a new stadium!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:20 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Brazil is a small country?
Sorry, I forgot about Brazil!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:23 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
$2.4 billion total??? It's only the Pan Am games(It's basically the US-Canada-Mexico and a bunch of small countries).
and other countries with larger populations than Canada...like Argentina and Colombia...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:

QC and Winnipeg should get money for their arenas if the federal government is willing to give that much.
Nicko, Canada will be fighting Brazil for 3rd in the medal count. The U.S. will take the bulk of the medals followed by Cuba. Mexico will probably finish 5th-6th.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:26 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
and other countries with larger populations than Canada...like Argentina and Colombia...
Yea, but we have better athletes

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:28 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Nicko, Canada will be fighting Brazil for 3rd in the medal count. The U.S. will take the bulk of the medals followed by Cuba. Mexico will probably finish 5th-6th.
Cuba is one hell of a country! Their population is around 11M but they have more medals than us.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am shocked that Ontario doesn't have at least ONE Olympic sized pool?! It's no wonder our international swimming programs pale in comparison to other countries, if our most populated province/city don't have the proper facilities.

Congrats to Toronto, and awesome that Hamilton gets a new stadium!
There are plenty if Olympic sized pools but no Olympic caliber aquatic centres. Toronto has the Olympium in Etobicoke (which is falling apart and has a habit of emptying itself due to leaks) and U of T, which is inadequate even for the University. A proper Olympic aquatic centre must have an absolute minimum of 2, 50 metre pools and a diving pool, as well as dryland training, therapy facilities etc. The new centres at UT Scarborough, Markham, Hamilton and the refurbishment of the Olympium are long overdue.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/668036

For Hamilton a new stadium, new velodrome, an aquatic centre and renovation to Copps Coliseum.
The velodrome will be sweet! There are only 2 indoor velodromes in Canada, Burnaby and London, but they don't meet the 250m Olympic standard. Sports wise, the velodrome is the most impressive facility.. next to the stadium of course!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:45 PM
gettin' rich!

maybe we will get some new lrt lines and some new subway lines....

The ones we have planned should be completed by then though...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 7:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
The velodrome will be sweet! There are only 2 indoor velodromes in Canada, Burnaby and London, but they don't meet the 250m Olympic standard. Sports wise, the velodrome is the most impressive facility.. next to the stadium of course!
It'll be the only international size velodrome in Canada, only LA has one. So it'll be a hugely important venue to attract athletes all over Canada and USA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada