HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 3:40 PM

200 Mountain Park Avenue | ? | 11 fl | Proposed

Facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in future renovation and upkeep costs — and a shrinking congregation — Chalmers Presbyterian Church is moving forward with a unique plan aimed at keeping the church on Mountain Park Avenue for many years to come.

It could be the first of its kind for a church in Canada.

"We're planning on incorporating our church into a housing community," said Rev. Victoria Eldridge, the minister at Chalmers, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2005.

For the past year, church officials have been working with a local architectural firm on a plan that would essentially see the church hand over its land on Mountain Park near Cliff Avenue to a developer who would demolish the two church buildings and replace them with a multimillion-dollar condominium complex that could rise as high as 12 storeys, along with underground parking.

The church in return would get and own most of the space on the first two floors that would become the new Chalmers Church.

"We're hoping this isn't going to cost us any money," said Eldridge, who noted the complex will be comparable to The Madison, a nearby 11-storey condo building that was completed in 2008.

Eldridge noted the project is still in the preliminary stage and the exact size and scope of the development, including the number of condo units, has not been determined.

Unlike the current church buildings, the new church facilities would be completely accessible.

The first floor will include the sanctuary with portable seating for 150 along with a couple of meeting rooms and possibly a coffee shop.

On the second floor, there will be administration space, a multi-purpose room and a banquet area with a small kitchen that can be rented out to the community.

The new church is also expected to feature a lot of glass for natural light.

"We wanted to be part of the community," said Christine Stevenson, a Chalmers elder and part of the church's Prepare the Way committee that is overseeing the project.

Stevenson said the congregation has had a lot of input into the planning and church members agreed on Sept. 28 to begin the process of finding a developer to work with.

"The majority of people are looking forward to having an accessible and a bright new place where others in the community can come and join us," Stevenson said.

Eldridge said the architectural firm will put the project out for bids from developers in the coming weeks and recommend a builder to the church.

They hope to have a developer selected by the new year. Eldridge said the church and the developer will then work out specific design plans and they hope to see construction begin sometime in 2015.

The developer will also look after all the various approvals required from city hall, including a zoning change.

"It's an exciting project for most people and it's a little scary because it is so different (from) what we've done (previously)," Stevenson said.

Chalmers Presbyterian Church today has between 80 and 100 members, compared to nearly 600 in 1964.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/49...n-park-avenue/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 7:55 PM

Sounds like a great project. I like the idea of a coffee shop on the ground floor.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:00 AM

I made these photos to show how it could fit onto the site...

Source: Bing 3D Maps App

Source

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:52 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It's a start to a proper mountain skyline.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
It's a start to a proper mountain skyline.
Let's have a proper downtown skyline first.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:10 PM

Those concrete rectangles poking up from the Mountain have always bothered me.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Those concrete rectangles poking up from the Mountain have always bothered me.
Why? Just curious.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:24 AM

Well, I don't care for concrete rectangles in any part of the city but they just seem to stand out more along the brow. I'm not against a Mountain skyline, however. Just so long as it's vaguely interesting, which it currently is not.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 2:27 AM
Ham-burgher

It's definitely not very interesting visually. From an urban perspective I guess I just think it's unique. We have our core skyline, but then there's this other skyline that ends up drawing the eye because it sits atop a 100m natural feature.

I don't mind the buildings, though I do wish they were nicer. Doubt we'll see any signature towers go up there. But the views from those apartments must be fantastic.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 PM

Source

hamiltonnews.com - Hamilton Mountain church project calls for proposals

Dec. 12 deadline for Chalmers condo development

By: Mark Newman, News Staff

A spokesman for the architectural firm representing Chalmers Presbyterian Church says they will be looking closely at sustainability and financing when considering bids for turning the Mountain Park Avenue property into a condominium development.

“We take into consideration sun, light, how it affects a building,” said Drew Hauser, principal with McCallum Sather Architects

Requests for proposals for the multi-million dollar development went out last week and developers have until Dec. 12 to submit their proposals.

The 109-year-old church is looking to trade its property for a new home on the first two floors of a condominium building.

While the exact size and scope of the project will be finalized by the developer, Hauser noted the current plan calls for an 11 storey building with 74 units and 79 underground parking spaces.

Each unit would be about 700 square feet in size which Hauser figures would sell for between $250,000 and $350,000.

Hauser said it will take about three weeks to review the bids and make recommendations to the church, which he expects will have a developer in place by mid January.

The developer will be required to acquire approval for the project from city hall, including a zoning change and ensure it meets Niagara Escarpment Commission criteria, including set back from the Mountain brow.

Hauser said the church’s endeavour could become a precedent-setting development that other churches with shrinking congregations could follow.

“It’s exciting that the presbytery and the congregation is willing to really reinvent how the vessel of the church exists or sits within a community and it’s so forward thinking,” he said.

Source

This thread needs a name change...

200 Mountain Park Avenue | ? | 11 fl | Proposed

Last edited by thomax; Nov 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 12:21 AM
Hammer'd

Looks good. I hope to see more like this on the mountain in the coming years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 AM

This question is totally unrelated, but how do you change the thread name on here? I can't find any instructions on here at all.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
This question is totally unrelated, but how do you change the thread name on here? I can't find any instructions on here at all.
A moderator has to do it. You either private message them and ask for a thread name to be changed (give a link to the thread, and the new thread name), or just post a message in the thread like I did and a moderator will eventually see it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just let me know.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton