HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:18 PM

It is extremely hard to remember anything about Lewiston, other than the smell. The church in the photo is beautiful. Love to see it lit up at night if the spires had the right kind of lighting.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:50 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
i've never been to lewiston. i'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been much mention of idaho's 9th-largest city (population: 32,000).

anyone on the board have any insights?

Lewiston used to be one of the 4th or 5th largest cities in Idaho 30-40 years ago. It is still growing but at a very slow pace. It is an interesting city...the furthest inland Pacific Ocean port and Idaho's only seaport. The city comprises over 81% of Nez Perce County's population (i.e. there aren't any other cities/towns of any size in the county...Clarkston, WA is of course over the river in the state of WA). Another interesting fact: with a ZIP code of 99403, Clarkston has the highest numerical zip code of any area in the contiguous United States.

Lewiston was briefly the capital of the Idaho Territory before the capital was moved to Boise in a controversial decision. In order to placate those from Northern Idaho, it was decided that the University of Idaho would be placed in Moscow, 30 minutes north of Lewiston.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:01 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
Lewiston used to be one of the 4th or 5th largest cities in Idaho 30-40 years ago. It is still growing but at a very slow pace. It is an interesting city...the furthest inland Pacific Ocean port and Idaho's only seaport. The city comprises over 81% of Nez Perce County's population (i.e. there aren't any other cities/towns of any size in the county...Clarkston, WA is of course over the river in the state of WA). Another interesting fact: with a ZIP code of 99403, Clarkston has the highest numerical zip code of any area in the contiguous United States.

Lewiston was briefly the capital of the Idaho Territory before the capital was moved to Boise in a controversial decision. In order to placate those from Northern Idaho, it was decided that the University of Idaho would be placed in Moscow, 30 minutes north of Lewiston.
I feel dumb for not knowing that. I had no idea!

http://www.portoflewiston.com/

Very interesting stuff.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:03 PM

They didn't teach you that in Idaho History? Here is more info:
http://commerce.idaho.gov/communitie...t-on-lewiston/

and a nice photo of the Snake River by Lewiston:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBcQ9QEwAw

Lewiston is also the gateway to the deepest canyon in North America, Hells Canyon.

a few websited I found on line for their historic downtown.

http://www.beautifuldowntownlewiston.org/

http://www.downtownlewistonstreetsca...int-proposals/

Last edited by Cottonwood; May 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:13 PM

There are a lot of great facts about Lewiston, but I would rank it poorly based on energy, style, and vitality. I group it with Orofino and Moscow rather than CD'A and Sandpoint. I think its roots as an old industry and labor town hasn't translated into the pizzazz some of its northern neighbors has in spades. Super nice people, poor hotel options.

If you ever get the opportunity to drive into Lewiston from Missoula or vice versa, you will not be disappointed. The road winds with the Lochsa river and the beauty is amazing. From your car window driving 50 miles around the corners you can see (a couple hundred feet away) every rock in the bottom of that river. Last year, I came around a corner and a black bear was making his way across the road, down to the river.

Last edited by eastidaho; May 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Architecturally Lewiston shines. I would love to have the time to head up there and photograph the downtown and the old neighborhood that extends up a hill above the downtown area and then head to Moscow which is also full of beautiful architecture.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:19 AM

Couple of good recent pictures I found on the web. It looks like they were taken from Lewiston Hill. Credits: unknown/unlisted photographer.

The Paper Mill just east of town along with part of the Old Lewiston Grade in the foreground.

Lewiston and Clarkston, WA to the right, also part of the Old Lewiston Grade in the foreground.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Architecturally Lewiston shines. I would love to have the time to head up there and photograph the downtown and the old neighborhood that extends up a hill above the downtown area and then head to Moscow which is also full of beautiful architecture.
I would love to see our northern neighbors through your lens. Maybe open my mind to your point of view. From my experience the University of Idaho campus has architecture wise, the top three or so most beautiful education buildings in the state. Architecture in downtown Moscow and Lewiston? Sure I would love to put a building in Moscow and a few in Lewiston; in my pocket and take them home with me. But I have never left Lewiston or Moscow with architecture on my mind, or a vibrant street life. JMHO.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Couple of good recent pictures I found on the web. It looks like they were taken from Lewiston Hill. Credits: unknown/unlisted photographer.

The Paper Mill just east of town along with part of the Old Lewiston Grade in the foreground.

Lewiston and Clarkston, WA to the right, also part of the Old Lewiston Grade in the foreground.

i love aerials of a city when they're not taken from the aer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:14 PM

The most beautiful place on earth is getting a new library

http://www.mtexpress.com/vu_breaking....php?bid=98310

Work begins on new Stanley library
Updated: June 19th, 2012 11:07 AM
By :EXPRESS STAFF

A ground-breaking celebration for a new facility at the Stanley Community Library will take place today, June 20, at 5 p.m.

According to a news release from the library, the new building will provide more space for users and books, with much better visibility and energy-efficiency, and will include a multipurpose room that will be accessible after hours to community groups.

Plus, the library is part of a larger redevelopment project that's bringing new housing, retail and commercial space to downtown Stanley. A central plaza area will offer outdoor seating and space for community events.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 4:32 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...xpected-aug-16

Big Idaho Olympic Announcement Expected Aug. 16

Posted by George Prentice on Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

A few days after the Olympic torch is extinguished at the London summer games, another big piece of Olympic news is expected that could have a significant Idaho impact. The U.S. Olympic Committee could make an announcement as soon as Thursday, Aug. 16, that would designate Sun Valley as an official U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Nordic training site, the first such site in the United States.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 1:30 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

This is exciting news. The Sun Valley area is definitely the best and most fitting place for this kind of designation. It is also becoming known as the new nirvana for mountain biking too. The trails and scenery are incredible.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 3:28 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...xpected-aug-16

Big Idaho Olympic Announcement Expected Aug. 16

Posted by George Prentice on Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

A few days after the Olympic torch is extinguished at the London summer games, another big piece of Olympic news is expected that could have a significant Idaho impact. The U.S. Olympic Committee could make an announcement as soon as Thursday, Aug. 16, that would designate Sun Valley as an official U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Nordic training site, the first such site in the United States.
Whoa, I somehow missed this one. Excellent news!

Maybe one step forward toward my dream of seeing Boise host a Winter Olympics. The timing is good for it too, as I think the US will get a Summer Olympics in 2024 which would essentially make the soonest bid likely to win the games in the 2030s. By then Boise will easily have the facilities and infrastructure to successfully host a Winter Olympics. The only hiccups would be beating out Denver, Reno, the other cities bidding, and convincing the NIMBYs it's a worthy goal.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:36 PM

Boise and Sun Valley pulled off the 2009 World Special Olympic Winter Games beautifully and with short notice..I forget which city/country backed out at the last minute. Granted those games were on a much smaller scale then regular winter games, but proved this city can put out and impress. We beat out Reno/Tahoe for those games.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:51 AM

I think we could beat them out. I've lived in a bunch of places and nowhere have I seen the civil enthusiasm that Boise has. I'm pretty sure even those who don't really care about the Olympics would put everything they could in to trying to make it happen because we Boiseans can't seem to keep our mouths shut about how great this city is. Just another opportunity to fill out our resume.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 4:58 PM

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/...ate+report.pdf

http://www.ktvb.com/news/business/Ho...168751786.html

Idaho ranks second best in rising home values
by Natalie Podgorski
Bio | Email| Follow: @NatalieKTVB
KTVB.COM
Posted on September 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Updated today at 10:19 AM

BOISE-- A nationwide study shows home prices are on the rise, and in Idaho prices are climbing faster than other states.

The study done by CoreLogic compares home prices in July of 2011 to July of this year. Nationwide prices increased 3.8%. That is the biggest year-over-year increase since 2006.

Idaho home prices crept even higher than that, ending up with a 10% increase in home prices from July of 2011 to July of 2012. CoreLogic says Idaho is second best state for rising home values.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 6:29 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

1863. The richest gold rush strike in the USA & the largest city in the Northwest

my Idaho City thread will be posted in the city photo forum soon.

Idaho City in the Boise Basin.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 8:13 AM
Dare Mighty Things

A Radical Solution for the Advancement of Higher Education in Idaho

I'm sick and tired of the state of education in Idaho. I'm sick of the politics. I'm sick of the stupid "rivalries." I'm sick of the fact that we have one of the worst education systems in the country. I'm sick of the fact that our public universities are trailing behind other state universities in the nation. And what kills me is that to me so much of it is so unnecessary. Our best university is only #165 in the country. Patently ridiculous. The potential and opportunity is there for better, and we deserve better than what we have.

I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on a radical proposal: Merge the University of Idaho, Boise State University, and Idaho State University into a singular state university system based in Boise with satellite campuses throughout Idaho, say in Moscow, Coeur D'Alene, and Pocatello. Start anew, with a new neutral name and brand, let's call it "Idaho University" for the sake of example.

Why would it work?

Why wouldn't it work?

I'm asking because I truly don't know, but it seems like it's something we should legitimately consider.

Yes. Do away with the Idaho Vandals. Do away with the Boise State Broncos. And the Idaho State Bengals. (or at least find a way to integrate the three into a singular identity) This is above sports. This, to me, is about the future of education in Idaho, and to me that should transcend sports. Put aside the rivalries. Put aside the differences. If it's necessary, maybe find a way to merge the identities together.

Unite the university systems for the betterment of future students and future Idahoans. A singular Idaho University system, pooling together the resources and the talent throughout the state rather than cannibalizing and fracturing them, would be powerful. Would a politician be brave enough to dare propose such a radical idea? Sadly, our state government seems vacant of brave ideas.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I'm sick and tired of the state of education in Idaho. I'm sick of the politics. I'm sick of the stupid "rivalries." I'm sick of the fact that we have one of the worst education systems in the country. I'm sick of the fact that our public universities are trailing behind other state universities in the nation. And what kills me is that to me so much of it is so unnecessary. Our best university is only #165 in the country.
I agree with you. Aside from numerous other reasons, that's one of the main reasons I left Idaho.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 3:53 AM

I can't speak for BSU or UofI, but as an ISU student, I can say ISU is crappy school. Professors fight with admin and admin fights with teachers, campus is not the best, it seems they're wasting my hard earned money on stupid crap, they continually raise their tuiution, and the tuition is higher then the two closest schools (USU and BYU-I, and both schools are better IMO). Having only attended this school with nothing to compare to, I will say the quality of education is not too bad. However some of the schools within ISU (namely engineering) have a hard time maintaining their accredidation. Something needs to happen, they can't even drum up enough pride within the community. It's pathetic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West