HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 3:49 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Not a very big update in the grand scheme of things here...

However, a sign was just put up at penhorn today for a new CIBC it is facing each way of portland and there may be one out towards the circ, not sure.

"Future home of the CIBC" - or something along the lines of that.

The former walmart has been reduced to nothing but a pile of crushed concrete and cinder blocks a few weeks ago. Ground prep for the new Sobeys store has started as well.

The ECL Signs are up and around on the site. It's good to know there is something going on there.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:51 PM

Does anyone know how this is progressing?

I've only been by it on the Circ so all I've seen is some construction equipment and nothing of the actual buildings.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 4:37 PM

The new Sobeys structure looks to be nearing completion, at least the exterior. That's about it, everything else is the same...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:54 PM

Drove in there today to take a look around. It still seems all rather disjointed. The new Sobeys is set further west (I think that's the direction) from where the old Walmart auto center used to be, so that its facade and that of the adjacent small strip mall are set back from that of Sears, whereas the auto center used to project ahead of it. It appears to be a month or more from being ready, though I did see a sign saying they are having a job fair in the old Sobeys this coming week, so who knows. The loading docks for the Sobeys are adjacent to what is now left of the old mall, which begins where the old Walmart ended. God knows what remains in the mall, though there were a surprising number of cars around the old Sobeys and Sears.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:17 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Drove in there today to take a look around. It still seems all rather disjointed. The new Sobeys is set further west (I think that's the direction) from where the old Walmart auto center used to be, so that its facade and that of the adjacent small strip mall are set back from that of Sears, whereas the auto center used to project ahead of it. It appears to be a month or more from being ready, though I did see a sign saying they are having a job fair in the old Sobeys this coming week, so who knows. The loading docks for the Sobeys are adjacent to what is now left of the old mall, which begins where the old Walmart ended. God knows what remains in the mall, though there were a surprising number of cars around the old Sobeys and Sears.
The only reason there were a larger number of cars than you would expect is because people use that parking lot as an unofficial park and ride for the busses.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:30 AM

Plus that does tend to be a busy Sobeys. As for businesses remaining in the mall, last I was there was a week ago and it's quite dismal. I would say at least 70-80% of the units are empty.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 5:18 PM

I was just reading an article about Sobeys in Dartmouth and apparently they are closing the Woodside location because of three others within three kms. Including Penhorn which is supposed to re-open at the end of this month.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 9:04 PM

I tried the new Penhorn Sobeys today for the first time. It is very similar (not surprisingly) to their two other new stores in the area on Tacoma and at Russell Lake. Business seemed very brisk. For whatever reason I like the Penhorn store better than the other two, and I like Russel Lake better than Tacoma. Given three basically identical stores, I cannot figure out why I have such preferences. Strange.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I tried the new Penhorn Sobeys today for the first time. It is very similar (not surprisingly) to their two other new stores in the area on Tacoma and at Russell Lake. Business seemed very brisk. For whatever reason I like the Penhorn store better than the other two, and I like Russel Lake better than Tacoma. Given three basically identical stores, I cannot figure out why I have such preferences. Strange.
Well, you cant really compare Tacoma to the other two. It's a giant in comparison.

But Russell Lake and Penhorn are very similar.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

Russel Lake and Penhorn are similar yes, but I found the new Penhorn store very, very cramped. The produce and bakery have tight and narrow, very little space to move around. Russel Lake seems a little more spacious. However, one feature I love about them both is the center aisle where the deli, hot foods, cheeses etc are. Almost reminds me of a little cafe or something...

Tacoma is a nightmare, I hate that store. The parking lot is a nightmare to maneuver around, and there's always cars everywhere. No thank you. I never shopped at the Westphal location that much, so I can't see myself shopping at Tacoma much either.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Well, you cant really compare Tacoma to the other two. It's a giant in comparison.
I've heard others say that as well. But I don't see it. Maybe it is, but if so, they have made very poor use of the space because it doesn't seem any different to me than the others.

I too dislike the Tacoma store. Chris has mentioned some of the reasons. There is just something about it that doesn't work for me. Plus the parking lot is atrocious and every time I've been there the checkout has been a nightmare.

The Russell Lake store is never very busy, has good parking and nice staff. It just seems very dark inside. Penhorn today seemd bright and airy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 1:24 AM

I'm just glad that Sobeys didn't go the same route as Super Store did a few years back and make all of their stores the size of PEI. I can't stand shopping in a Super Store, I feel like it takes forever to get from one end to the other and I can never find what I'm looking for. I don't have exotic tastes, when I go to the grocery store I'm looking for the basics. I can't understand why a grocery store sells clothes, sporting goods, mortgages, cars, airplanes, college educations, pretty much any thing under the sun. I feel like there should be a conveyor belt like at the airports to shuttle you from one end to the other. All I want is bread and eggs, and I have to walk a kilometre from one to the other. Then you need to set up a tent and camp out over night while you're in line at the checkout.

I guess my point is I like going to a reasonable sized store like Sobeys.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightingale View Post
make all of their stores the size of PEI.
I think that is the funniest thing I heard today! Snort!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I guess my point is I like going to a reasonable sized store like Sobeys.
I guess it depends a bit on the target market, but a lot of people who would buy the discount clothes or whatever just go to Wal-Mart. Most people just want food and household items when they go out for groceries.

The relative lack of junky retail items and better store design makes Sobeys look much better than Loblaws. They seem to be doing well in Ontario partly because of this, plus they sell good prepared meals (a typical store must go through a lot of those chickens!).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I can't understand why a grocery store sells clothes, sporting goods, mortgages...
The smaller Superstores just have a couple of aisles for clothing, you're obviously referring to Joe Howe and Portland. However, I find the stores are roughly cut in half, with all the clothing/housewares/non-food stuff on one side, and the food on the other side. So you just shop on the side of the store that matters to you, and don't bother with the other side... not that big of a deal.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 9:06 PM
we built this city

Think about how much you can leverage the retail space, its a one stop shopping concept. The space essentially costs money, so the business model is sell whatever you can at a profit (and in some cases at a loss to pull in business). They are ahead of the curve, Wal-Mart has been in this type of position in several markets. I much prefer Canadian companies like Loblaws and Sobeys to be doing it vs. being left behind.

PC Financial is great, their back-end is CIBC without any of the upfront hassle.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Think about how much you can leverage the retail space, its a one stop shopping concept. The space essentially costs money, so the business model is sell whatever you can at a profit (and in some cases at a loss to pull in business). They are ahead of the curve, Wal-Mart has been in this type of position in several markets. I much prefer Canadian companies like Loblaws and Sobeys to be doing it vs. being left behind.

PC Financial is great, their back-end is CIBC without any of the upfront hassle.
That concept may appeal to some people. Personally I really dislike the mega-sized Superstores and think they just don't work. They are compromised from both the food and general merchandise perspective. I know that I shop much less at the two megastores than I did before the changes. They are just too big, parking is too difficult, and the fod side is inferior.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Update from the Penhorn Front!

Massive work going on up there now...

First off I'd like to share for some what was called "a sad day" ... frankly I had to cheer, when they took the penhorn mall sign down from along the circ.

Secondly, they are starting a lot of excavation and prep work for a new segment of the new shopping area, the hole is quite deep, an 8 foot bucket on the end of a loader could be seen popping up from a giant hole behind the big mound of dirt (if you look to the right of the 2 guys you can see the loader arm)...

and this is the area (highlighed in blue- map from earlier on in the thread from ECL) that is being worked on currently

I also walked up to "the old mall" entrance which is located right behind the new Sobeys and there are signs up saying that section of the mall is now closed, and the only entrance that is in use is the mall entrance right behind sears by the sports field... I will be up there in the next few days to check that out a little more as I didn't really have enough time to stick around up there this afternoon.

(all photographs taken by me, penhorn rendering by ECL)

Last edited by Aya_Akai; May 15, 2009 at 2:01 AM. Reason: added another image.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 2:14 PM

So glad they finally took that sign down! It was soooooooo ugly.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 2:53 PM
You talkin' to me?

Just to add to what HaliStreaks said, I was in the only open part of the mall recently, and they have the entire thing barricaded off except for the immediate area around Sears. Theres I think 6 stores left and thats it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs