HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:16 AM

Umm, well surely the province could have put aside funding for now when it was cheaper to build, but once again if the city did, the funding to the city from other level of governments would have been cut.

As for the whole income taxes taking away freedom thing. You know why we need broad based taxes to fund our government? A lack of universal tariffs, which is what funded our government up to the first world war. (and a vast expansion of government, but even without that we would still need income or consumption taxes to fund our government)

Ultra right wing people often bring up before the first world war when we didn't have taxes as a golden age, and then ignore how we funded things. You have to get revenue from somewhere.

Taxes are useful, they provide services that have natural monopolies, and huge positive externalities. Taxes provide services that would otherwise not be provided efficiently due to a myriad of market failures.

Taxes, are most efficient and create the least amount of deadweight loss when applied to the broadest base. In Calgary's case, a value added tax or income tax or both which brought in equal revenue to a phased out property taxes would be much more efficient, and would distort the market much less.

Property taxes create a disincentive to capital investment, just like the capital tax that still exists in some provinces. It encourages labour intensive solutions and decreases productivity.

To increase accountability at the same time it would make sense to stop transfering funds from the federal and provincial levels, and to transfer tax points instead, and/or the gas tax. That way politicians would be solely responsible for all the spending in the city.

There would be no excuses of capital vs operational spending, no complaining to Ottawa or Edmonton, just sheer representative government.

As for spending money more wisely, everyone has a different view of what is wise. For me wise would be a city even more intensive than the one shown in Plan-It, since it would save tonnes of money. A city the would never need the second ring road. In that city, it makes sense to build a higher quality public realm because many more citizen would be sharing less space. We can get higher quality at a lower price per person.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:24 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:34 AM

^ Truth be told, 2009 was a 'spike' year in funding. MSI was to increase and the gas tax and other couple provincial programs were in their year of highest funding. Funding this year was going to be $150 million over funding next year for Calgary (if my memory serves me correctly)

There would have been an automatic pull back next year anyways as the other provincial programs ended and only MSI remained.

Of course, the cuts this year were not really anticipated, but the city can always iron out year to year changes with debt.

Personally, it wouldn't have been my choice to cut if I was the minister, but I can understand that ignoring the large urban areas is sort of second nature for the people we have in government. Politically however, a $6 billion deficit doesn't hurt you in the polls any more than a $4 billion dollar one, so why risk the cuts?

The operational cuts will come, but in the mean time it is much better to fund capital projects that the province doesn't pay the ongoing costs of, rather than funding more things like hospitals (which they can't even staff the ones we have now, at the highest wages in the country).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 6:41 PM

A big solution would be if we stood up to being bullied by ontario and quebec. Too much of Alberta's money is sent to other provinces. The mayor and premier ought to take initiative and put an end to this. Politically it woud be savvy, and they'd get more funding. But first whatever the make up of the next city council, it has to solve its caveat of wasteful spending

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 9:45 PM

Wasteful spending is thrown around a lot, but I know during the last election we (a certain well funded campaign for Mayor) spent a lot of time and money researching to try to find areas for significant cuts, and we found none. Calgary's operational budget is already significantly lower per capita than most other Canadian cities of comparable size.

The biggest places where the city could cut are police, fire, roads, and transit, which politically isn't a very good idea. After those three departments there city budget is pretty bare. What would you cut? A Library budget that hasn't increased since 1994? Or a recreation budget that already has the highest fee recovery level in the country?

Be sure, if there were easy areas not to fund, or to find efficiencies in our council today would be all over it.

Out of the municipal tax supported budget, what would you cut?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:39 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:54 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
NOTE: Added link to source.

I honestly don't know how a slate would fair, but I doubt it would work. At worst, you'd probably get the current number of 4 or 5 conservative alderman that are currently banding together in this council. They'd just be more officially under the PGIB banner.

As for McIver's comments, I realize he's saying what he needs to at this point, but I can smell the BS from here. "It was so long ago I just don't remember?" Spare me.
I really think the conservatives are shooting themselves in the foot. Moderate fiscal conservatives don't like being associated with people like Limbaugh and Coulter. And most of the conservative in this City is just that, fiscal. I am pretty fiscally conservative (depending on where you stand I guess), but I cannot begin to even stomach guys like Chandler. If I was a conservative candidate, I would distance myself from them as much as possible.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:33 AM

Rush Limbaugh?! Wow! I'd go see him with some friends!

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:21 PM

If I was an alderman, regardless of what political stripe, I sure would not want to be associated with an idiot such as Limbaugh, no matter how much money they would be able to raise.

On another note, I hope the comb over Hodges retires sooner then later. I have talked to him on a number of occasions while the Rocky Ridge closure presentations were in full swing. Useless, nothing but useless....all he would say is that they are working with the province, fully knowing that it was a done deal.

Never got a call back why he was not present when the issue of the $3 parking fee was to be reopened...they justed needed one vote, HIS VOTE!!!!!

With regards to the $25 million dollar bridge/bridge design. Most Calgarians would not mind the bridges at the designated locations, it's the cost. I am sure that local competition among many architects here in Calgary would have designed something beautiful, if given a chance. Isn't it the way Calatrava(sp?) started??????

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:34 PM

I personally doubt Hodges will run in 2010, if he does I'd suspect theres enough people who think he's done his time that he won't get back in.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:26 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokWawelski View Post
With regards to the $25 million dollar bridge/bridge design. Most Calgarians would not mind the bridges at the designated locations, it's the cost. I am sure that local competition among many architects here in Calgary would have designed something beautiful, if given a chance. Isn't it the way Calatrava(sp?) started??????
They will be given their chance, as the 2nd bridge will be an open competition.

However this is a conversation for another thread.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:34 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
On another note, I hope the comb over Hodges retires sooner then later.
WIN

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:44 PM

^ With how close Banks came to Hodges last time, this time should finish the job.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Former car salesman's mayoral campaign fizzles

Last Updated: Friday, June 12, 2009 | 6:31 PM MT

CBC News

A former Ontario politician's run at the mayor's seat in Calgary lasted less than a week.
George Dadamo told the Calgary Herald on Friday he is pulling his name from the October 2010 contest.
Dadamo had to fire his executive assistant, Josh Bredo, after the newspaper revealed he was linked to several controversies in Calgary and Prince George, B.C.
Dadamo, 55, admitted he didn't do a background check or any research before hiring Bredo, and said he felt that misstep would overshadow his campaign.
The former NDP member of the Ontario legislature announced he was running to be Calgary mayor on Tuesday, but pulled the plug on Friday.
Bredo, and his aliases Joshua Baba and Josh Mitchell, are linked to several allegations of fraud, reported the Herald.
Current Calgary Mayor Dave Bronconnier has indicated he will likely run for a fourth term, and political watchers have speculated that Ald. Ric McIver may also jump into the mayoral race.
Dadamo, who quit his job as a salesman at Shaganappi Motors, said he will try to now find work in Calgary.
Source

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 5:05 AM

Quote:
If I was an alderman, regardless of what political stripe, I sure would not want to be associated with an idiot such as Limbaugh, no matter how much money they would be able to raise.
These characters are so far off of the spectrum, I can't seem them being received well here at all. If they're considered to be on the extreme right in their own country, they're off the map here in Canada.

I do, however, think that given a few factors, the next city council will be more conservative than the current one. But bringing in pundits from the extremes of US politics will probably scare most moderate right-wingers and could do more harm than good.

Should be interesting though...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Former car salesman's mayoral campaign fizzles

Source
Good, I'm getting tired of people from the east coming here and telling us how to run the best city in Alberta. We need an Albertan, if not a born Calgarian, at the very least.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 7:00 AM

^ Wow. By chance are you a member of a party that amongst its slogans once included 'Alberta for Albertans'?

So you would reject someone whom you agreed with 100% on carpet bagger grounds? I hope you don't vote for Harper! (damn Ontarian ending the oilsands tax credit and income trusts. It is like he doesn't understand 'real' Albertans!)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 1:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
We need an Albertan, if not a born Calgarian, at the very least.
Well I guess it is time I answered the call...

Bigtime 2010: Roll the Hard Six.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 3:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Xenophobia is xenophobia no matter what stripes you colour that particular tiger.

Alberta is an infinitely better place today than it was 30 years ago, and a lot of that has to do with changing attitudes as (gasp!) people from the east and BC taught Albertans a thing or three.

And the same goes for the rest of the country. We all learn from each other, we shouldn't be so myopic as to assume only our immediate neighbour/family member/churchgoer/guy with the same skin colour can possibly have any good ideas.

An accident of birth does not give you some magic insight or better personality or higher intelligence. Vote on issues and platforms, not genetic or regional heritage.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 3:28 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Alberta is an infinitely better place today than it was 30 years ago, and a lot of that has to do with changing attitudes as (gasp!) people from the east and BC taught Albertans a thing or three.
Immigrants too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy