HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:31 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Why don't they just build another WTC1, but without the spire? We'd have somewhat of a return of the original skyline. ..just a thought.
i dont think the floorplates would fit the clients they have in mind. definately not fox. they would need the boxy design. having a wide variety of floor size options within the wtc complex is for the best. and to be honest, i dont think i could take another twin here anymore. i just cant. now what would be easier to take would be something taller than 1wtc -- but thats not going to happen either.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:23 PM

I was thinking, if Silverstein can't find a new anchor tenant within the next year or so, what are the chances of him deciding "hey f**k it, let's just build on spec and see what happens"?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Keep your GD politics out of this forum. We are better than that.
lmfao

Okay Mr. Conservative! sorry for hitting a nerve.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:40 AM
BANNED

^But he's right. We ARE better than that. There are other forums out there for the tinfoil-hat truther types. This is not that place. We discuss actuality here.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:48 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
No wonder he wanted to...
Eat s*** wacko

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
I was thinking, if Silverstein can't find a new anchor tenant within the next year or so, what are the chances of him deciding "hey f**k it, let's just build on spec and see what happens"?
Depends on the tenant. Most likely the tenant will want the tower to be modified to their needs so I wouldn't bank 100% on the Foster design or BIG design being used. A whole new tower design using the existing base may very well be a possibility.

Facebook is looking for space in a tower. I'd like them to migrate here, but Hudson Yards looks favorable. Hopefully they go for 50 Hudson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
No wonder he wanted to infamously "pull it." The building suffered severe damage, there were no people left inside, and he never liked it in the first place! Luckily for him, it (supposedly) came down all on its own.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:32 AM

They didn't seem to be super concerned about tenant needs for tower 4 or 1 or 2? Seems like they just got built and then they loolooked for tenants or looked while it was rising. This is why I get so nervous when they save the best for last on multiple building developments.

Last edited by Guiltyspark; Feb 22, 2016 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 10:18 PM

I think Tower Two should be designed to look similar to Tower Four only much taller. It should be tall, sleek and simple.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:48 PM

tall sleek & simple could be great . .
but not like tower 4 . . that's too simple . .
At 1300 feet and almost next door . .
that would be a whole lot of boring . .
& it would diminish the excellence of both buildings & the entire WTC . .
Tower 4 is a gorgeous background building.
Tower 2 . . 300 feet higher . . is more of a foreground building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
They didn't seem to be super concerned about tenant needs for tower 4 or 1 or 2? Seems like they just got built and then they loolooked for tenants or looked while it was rising.

That's because they didn't have to worry as much about financing for those towers (speaking of 1 and 4).

This tower will be built in the more traditional sense - meaning they will sign a tenant first in order to get financing for it's construction.

Meanwhile, some images from BIG's AIA award winning submission...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:19 AM

The top "box" seems to have a crown of sorts similar to the top of Central Park Tower with those indented vertical lines.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, a look at some of the other companies looking for large blocks of space....

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...iggest-blocks/

Which office tenants are looking for the biggest blocks?
A ranking of the companies on the hunt for the most Manhattan office space[/b]

March 01, 2016
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Today the number of tenants looking for 1 million square feet of space or more can be counted on one hand: electronics giant Samsung, global bank Deutsche Bank and private equity firm BlackRock, according to published reports and interviews with brokers. By comparison, back in 2012, there were twice as many tenants looking for blocks of 1 million square feet or more, including Time, Credit Suisse and News Corp.

This month, The Real Deal compiled a list of the 12 biggest tenants in the market. To do that, we combed through CoStar Group data to see which companies have leases expiring as far out as 2022 and then determined, through published reports and sources, whether those firms are on the hunt. Financial firms dominated the list, taking eight of the top 12 spots. They are reportedly looking for a combined 5.5 million square feet of space.

....New York City is currently in the midst of a commercial construction surge, with some 30 million square feet of space planned or under way (see commercial scorecard on page 104). Some say they are not as concerned about the market filling the new space coming on line as they are about finding tenants for the older space that’s being vacated. And landlords may come up short if they rely on tech companies to fill that older space. “In general, TAMI [technology, advertising, media and information] is growing, but my guys tell me not as quickly as finance is shrinking,” said Michael Cohen, president of the tri-state region for Colliers International.

Several brokers said some of the companies on TRD’s list — such as New York Life, which occupies a big chunk of space at 63 Madison Avenue — are unlikely to move. Nonetheless, their leases will still need to be renegotiated under new market conditions. Samsung, however, may be looking to buy space. That would follow in the footsteps of Coach, which recently bought a 740,000-square-foot office condo in Related Companies’ 10 Hudson Yards.

While rumors have been swirling that Facebook is looking for about 500,000 square feet, one broker familiar with the search said that is not the case.
(The company is not on TRD’s list.) The global law firm Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy is, however, on the lookout for about 350,000 square feet, and is reported to be eying Related’s 55 Hudson Yards, set to open in 2018.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:14 PM

If Silverstein can land one of those financial firms to anchor 2 WTC, the likelihood of Foster's design being built will greatly increase. However, if FaceBook or Samsung wanted to anchor 2 WTC, I could honestly see them wanting a specific design to suit their own needs like Fox/News Corp and that's probably why the option for a BIG-designed 2 WTC is still on the table.

Either way, I hope an anchor tenant will soon be found therefore, this tower will finally be built and the complex will be completed at last.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
If Silverstein can land one of those financial firms to anchor 2 WTC, the likelihood of Foster's design being built will greatly increase. However, if FaceBook or Samsung wanted to anchor 2 WTC, I could honestly see them wanting a specific design to suit their own needs like Fox/News Corp and that's probably why the option for a BIG-designed 2 WTC is still on the table.

You don't get it. Foster's design is DEAD. Silverstein isn't even trying to market that. What you see here is what's on the table. Foster's design was for the financial market tenant. Silverstein has moved away from that. Looking at the graphic, you can see that the lower portion could be configured for trading floors, same as Foster's design.

The TAMI tenants you see marked in the above graphic are what Silverstein is going after...

Quote:
Some say they are not as concerned about the market filling the new space coming on line as they are about finding tenants for the older space that’s being vacated. And landlords may come up short if they rely on tech companies to fill that older space. “In general, TAMI [technology, advertising, media and information] is growing, but my guys tell me not as quickly as finance is shrinking,” said Michael Cohen, president of the tri-state region for Colliers International.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:10 PM

As long as BIG's design remains, it still wouldn't make sense to keep the cantilevering news tickers since this building will probably not end up being anchored by another giant media conglomerate. Also, the broadcast dishes on top staying don't make sense either, that could be a second observatory instead.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
As long as BIG's design remains, it still wouldn't make sense to keep the cantilevering news tickers since this building will probably not end up being anchored by another giant media conglomerate. Also, the broadcast dishes on top staying don't make sense either, that could be a second observatory instead.
New York is a media town. That we don't have a tower Downtown with those tickers already should be the news.

http://ny.curbed.com/2015/7/16/99402...l-model-makers

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:47 PM

Oh I totally get that, but the point I've been trying to make all along is that a lot of elements of BIG's design were done specifically with Fox and News Corp in mind and since they've backed out, some of those design elements will not end up in the final product because they're irrelevant now that we're back to square one with the search for an anchor tenant. The reason why the Foster design shouldn't be completely written off is because it's neutral in the sense that it wasn't designed for a specific tenant in the way BIG's was and we shouldn't rule out the possibility of another redesign if a potential anchor tenant requests it as we know Silverstein will make any sort of concession to get this built.

Most of the companies on that list are financial, insurance or government based, not exactly what Silverstein is going for at the moment, but this is still the World Trade Center so I can't imagine that financial institutions wouldn't at least consider the possibility but the Hudson Yards district and Midtown East seem to more desirable locations for those types of companies. We'll just have to wait and see.

However, if Deutsche Bank or UBS wanted to anchor 2 WTC, the Foster design could still be an option if they so choose since it would better suit their needs, plus the foundation for that particular design is ready for vertical action, thus speeding along the construction process. I'd imagine Silverstein has taken that fact into account considering he would prefer to see the entire complex completed in his lifetime, although that is far from certain as well. Keeping all options on the table is probably the best idea going forward as we play the waiting game.

The point of the matter is, it all boils down to who ultimately anchors the tower. 2 WTC is arguably one of the most difficult construction (or lack thereof) projects in the history of NYC, even more so than 1 WTC. We can never be too sure what will actually happen here, but in a worst case scenario, if Silverstein still struggles to land an anchor tenant, he should build on spec just to get the damn thing done once and for all regardless of it being designed by Foster or BIG. I do expect Silverstein to find an anchor tenant but building on spec should only be a last resort option although I can't picture that happening.

I obviously prefer the Foster design like most, but I would be totally content with a revised and neutralized design by BIG. At this point in the game, each design has a 50% chance of getting built, definitely not as certain as it was last year when it all seemed to be a done deal with the Murdochs. But if there's anything that we've learned from this rebuilding process, don't hold your breath for anything.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This pic made me wonder what it'd look like if you combined BIG's design with Norman Foster's. Convert the top box of BIG's design into the slanted diamond face from Foster's design.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:17 AM
Certified Idahoan

Honestly, I think putting diamonds on the crown of BIG's design would look super awkward. If they were to alter the crown, I would be interested in a sphere, poised to roll down the "steps" of the building.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:16 AM

I would support the BIG Design if they added a gigantic, Giacometti-like sculpture of a very-long legged man walking up the steps between the third and fourth steps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction