HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:38 AM

Lightbulb Sleep Bus

Looks like Amtrak's Coast Starlight has new competition. The Sleep Bus travels from the Caltrain station in San Francisco to the Santa Monica Pier in about 7 hours, leaving at 11 pm and arriving at 6 am. Charging $48 one way fares at startup and expecting standard fares to reach $65 after startup.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/09/s...#slide-3887572

It takes the Coast Starlight over 12 hours to travel from Emeryville to Union Station in L.A. Two weeks in advance, Amtrak wants $65 for coach, and $175 for a roomette.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:12 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Are Megabus and Boltbus big in California? Because nice intercity buses are huge on the east coast.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

And you'll only be kept awake by a constant diesel groan and hissing, bumping, shaking and rattling of interior paneling from driving on shitty roads and the sound of the roof being sheared off as the bus flips over and hits a bridge support at 4am because the driver fell asleep. All for just $48? What a deal!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:11 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Are Megabus and Boltbus big in California? Because nice intercity buses are huge on the east coast.
Yes, we have Megabus. I don't have any ridership statistics for them, but I know from San Francisco they serve four cities in California, and two in Nevada. I have twice taken Megabus between SF and Sacramento.

Two weeks out, booking a round-trip between SF and LA (overnight both ways) on Megabus costs $64 total, and takes roughly the same amount of time as the sleep bus.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:29 PM

Megabus is growing fast, and thank god. Has anyone ever ridden greyhound? It's a bit of a nightmare.

The best buses I've been on have been in Mexico. We regularly take a bus from Juarez to Chihuahua. Air conditioning, snacks ,tinted windows, drinks, and a movie. I wish I remember which line it was, because there's about a dozen.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Looks like Amtrak's Coast Starlight has new competition. The Sleep Bus travels from the Caltrain station in San Francisco to the Santa Monica Pier in about 7 hours, leaving at 11 pm and arriving at 6 am. Charging $48 one way fares at startup and expecting standard fares to reach $65 after startup.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/09/s...#slide-3887572

It takes the Coast Starlight over 12 hours to travel from Emeryville to Union Station in L.A. Two weeks in advance, Amtrak wants $65 for coach, and $175 for a roomette.
I would be more excited if they actually used a bus rather than a converted Volvo big rig truck that looks like a horse trailer

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation