HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 9:34 PM

Volve / Audi Plant to HSV?

Interesting article. Hope our leaders are on top of it...

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011...ts_may_be.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:39 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Interesting article. Hope our leaders are on top of it...

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011...ts_may_be.html
They have been working on this for at least 5 years

from the article
Representatives of Swedish automaker Volvo have visited a site in Huntsville that was passed over by Volkswagen three years ago before it built a plant in Chattanooga, according to the publisher of an economic development trade publication.

Mike Randle, publisher of Birmingham-based Southern Business & Development, said, historically, sites that were runners-up for previous projects end up in play again.

For instance, a year before Volkswagen landed in Chattanooga, that site had finished second to a site near Tupelo, Miss., that Toyota chose for a new auto plant.

"As far as any new plants coming to the South, I think you have to start with Huntsville," Randle said. "History seems to repeat itself, especially with these things."

Another advantage for Huntsville is a previous relationship with Stefan Jacoby, Volvo's chief executive. Jacoby was at the helm of Volkswagen in 2008, when that company's site search was under way.

"Jacoby loved that site, and Jacoby loves Huntsville," Randle said. "

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
They have been working on this for at least 5 years

from the article
Representatives of Swedish automaker Volvo have visited a site in Huntsville that was passed over by Volkswagen three years ago before it built a plant in Chattanooga, according to the publisher of an economic development trade publication.

Mike Randle, publisher of Birmingham-based Southern Business & Development, said, historically, sites that were runners-up for previous projects end up in play again.

For instance, a year before Volkswagen landed in Chattanooga, that site had finished second to a site near Tupelo, Miss., that Toyota chose for a new auto plant.

"As far as any new plants coming to the South, I think you have to start with Huntsville," Randle said. "History seems to repeat itself, especially with these things."

Another advantage for Huntsville is a previous relationship with Stefan Jacoby, Volvo's chief executive. Jacoby was at the helm of Volkswagen in 2008, when that company's site search was under way.

"Jacoby loved that site, and Jacoby loves Huntsville," Randle said. "
First I have heard of Volvo. Rumors of Audi have been floating around for years though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
First I have heard of Volvo. Rumors of Audi have been floating around for years though.
Volvo or Audi would be a tremendous boon to this area. Much needed to diversify the work force as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:52 PM

I drove by the VW plant in Chattanooga today and thought, "They could have come to Huntsville..." Huntsville was soooo close last time. It seems natural that an auto assembly plant should come to the Huntsville/Decatur area. I am sure this will happen fairly soon.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
I drove by the VW plant in Chattanooga today and thought, "They could have come to Huntsville..." Huntsville was soooo close last time. It seems natural that an auto assembly plant should come to the Huntsville/Decatur area. I am sure this will happen fairly soon.
I know the feeling. Whenever I drive past it, I get a sinking feeling. But, it's ok, cause I know Huntsville/Decatur has a brighter future

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 4:45 PM
Constant Vigilance!

In a related, but already discussed story:

Two Major roads planned for East Limestone part of Huntsville
Keith Clines, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Huntsville has $40 million of roadwork planned to prepare the thousands of acres in east Limestone County it has annexed in the past few years to be the next major employment area.

Marie Bostick, acting director of the city Planning Department, presented the city's master plan for the area Wednesday to the North Alabama Transportation Foundation at its meeting at the Huntsville Botanical Garden.

The city plans to build a five-lane road named Greenbrier Parkway from just north of I-565 at Greenbrier Road that will run northwest until turning north and running on the east side of Limestone Creek to Huntsville-Brownsferry Road.

Design on the first phase of Greenbrier Parkway will start this year, and the city has $40 million budgeted over the next 10 years to build the road, Bostick said.

Another major road in the plans is a segment of the Memphis to Atlanta highway, which has been dormant for years, that would go east from I-65 and before turning southeast and connecting at I-565 east of Greenbrier Road.

Full Story
Two major roads planned for East Limestone part of Huntsville

I know, or think at least, that this has already been discussed awhile back, but now with the news of Volvo shoping in the area, the city seems to be moving forward.

I guess I'm excited about this possibility of Huntsville's commitment to get Volvo/Audi or whoever may come knockin on the door. I'm not entirely sold on all this. I mean, yes there needs to be a major road going through the area if H'ville wants to get a major auto company to build, but I don't know about the link between I65 and I565. Greenbrier Parkway though seems like a good idea.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 1:04 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Another brewery is coming to downtown Huntsville it seems. Just in time, now that I'm legally able to try out the products.

Below the Radar brewery coming to downtown Huntsville's historic Times Building
Steve Doyle, The Huntsville Times
October 17, 2011

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Four years after fire destroyed the Olde Towne brewery, beer-making is returning to downtown Huntsville.

Local beer aficionados Steve Below and Martin Cousins are aiming to open their Below the Radar brewery at the historic Times Building by Jan. 1.

Unlike the area's other breweries...Below the Radar plans to have an on-site tasting room.

Full Story

This is always exciting to see another business giving it a try in Huntsville, and always more intriguing to watch them try in downtown. I hope that this is a success, so that more businesses or breweries are able to open its doors in the city

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 7:00 PM

New Development

Anyone know what is going between Zaxby's and Cheddar's on University? Also, work has started on the strip center next to the new Kroger.

Heard a Texas Roadhouse is going in one of the Kroger outparcels... we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:25 PM

I was thinking how much of a traffic nightmare its gonna be between countyline rd. and wall triana whenever they complete the walmart supercenter,target,and madison hospital. I know they are gonna have to throwup new red lights in front of target and walmart. Oh lawd I dread it.....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 2:14 PM
Constant Vigilance!

^ It would almost serve purpose for them to start to look at some small overpasses at some areas, or at least study the possibility. Til then, let's just hope that they have the timing right so that people aren't stuck waiting ten minutes just to go 3 car lengths

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
^ It would almost serve purpose for them to start to look at some small overpasses at some areas, or at least study the possibility. Til then, let's just hope that they have the timing right so that people aren't stuck waiting ten minutes just to go 3 car lengths
Nothing's going to be done to that stretch except adding a 3rd lane in each direction from Providence Main all the way to Athens. The best solution for that corridor would be to implement access management: in other words, cut out a lot of the left turn traffic into businesses and have motorists do U-turns at key intersections. This would cut in half the necessary amount of signalized intersections. This has been implemented on a considerable number of arterial roadways in suburban Atlanta in the past 10 years and it has kept traffic from getting worse (even better in some areas) despite high population growth.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 1:05 AM
America's Mars Rocket

From the Huntsville Development Blog
http://huntsvilledevelopment.blogspot.com/
more hotels planned, add the next downtown hotel Residence Inn between the Embassy Suite and Springhill.
Not westside but the renaming of the Radisson South Parkway to a Doubletree and possibly a downtown hotel in the Medical District.

1. Holiday Inn Express and Suites- Watercress
Developer: Owings Properties d.b.a. Watercress Hotel Associates, LLC
This hotel is planned to be built behind the new Kroger at 72 and Jeff Road.

2. Holiday Inn Express and Suites- Madison
Developer: Omega Hotel Group
This 4-story, 96-room hotel is currently under construction at Madison Boulevard and Wall-Triana Highway. It is expected to open in March.

3. Madison Hospital
Developer: GBT Realty (entire development)
A 5-story, 110-room hotel is in the plans for a development just to the west of the new hospital along Balch Road in Huntsville city limits. I would expect this hotel to be limited-service, similar to a Hampton Inn or a Fairfield Inn.

4. SpringHill Suites- Providence
Developer: Providence Hotel Partners, LLC
The new urbanist development is getting a second hotel now that the first, a Homewood Suites by Hilton, has been wildly successful. At first glance, I assumed that another Hilton-brand hotel would be built here, but it turns out that a SpringHill Suites by Marriott will be the new format.

5. Research Park
Developer: LBA Hospitality
Dothan hotel developer LBA Hospitality is building a hotel on Governors West, just south of Bridge Street. LBA has built several Home2 Suites locations, a new Hilton extended-stay brand, including the first one in Fayetteville, NC earlier this year. It is possible that this hotel will be a Home2 as well.

6-7. Redstone Gateway
Developer: Jim Wilson and Associates (entire development)
At this mega-development at 565 and Research Park Boulevard, two hotels with a combined ~300 rooms are in the master plan. These two hotels will probably be more full-service and business-oriented than the others on the list, similar to a Doubletree or a Hilton.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:33 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Something new and differnt downtown in the Lumberyard District (Cleveland Ave)

a toy store
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-To...50245738342689

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:49 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Architect renderings of the new baggage claim area under construction
at Huntsville International Airport
http://chapmansisson.com/transportat...baggage-claim/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:14 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Springhill Suites at Providence groundbreaking..

Site work has started for a four-story, 88-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott at the Village of Providence.

The projected opening is next August, said Alpesh Patel, CEO of Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Kana Hotel Group.

The Village of Providence, a mixed-use community with housing, restaurants and stores, also has another hotel, Homewood Suites by Hilton.

Providence has more than 110,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, which is fully leased, said Todd Slyman. Another 20,000-square-foot building project that's out for bids now is also fully leased.

HSV Times

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:

Site work has started for a four-story, 88-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott at the Village of Providence.

The projected opening is next August, said Alpesh Patel, CEO of Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Kana Hotel Group.

The Village of Providence, a mixed-use community with housing, restaurants and stores, also has another hotel, Homewood Suites by Hilton.

Providence has more than 110,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, which is fully leased, said Todd Slyman. Another 20,000-square-foot building project that's out for bids now is also fully leased.

HSV Times
A very handsome building. Thanks for sharing. Wish all new construction fit in its neighborhood like this one appears to.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:11 AM

Quote:

HSV Times
I was thinking that they would have done something like this at Constellation. Make it look like something that has been downtown for years and is there to stay instead of something that is covered in stucco and looks like it is only meant to be torn down in a couple of decades. Oh well, just my opinion. I do like this hotel though, it'll blend in nicely in Providence.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:25 PM

Bed Bath and Beyond moves to Bridge Street

Bridge Street continues to cannibalize existing shopping centers as Bed Bath and Beyond is moving from their existing locationat Westside Center on University Dr. (the Target Shopping Center) to a location in Bridge Street's strip center between Sports Academy and Toys R Us/Babys R Us. When you look at the big picture, Bridge Street has "stolen" Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Toys R Us, Babys R Us, and now Bed Bath and Beyond from existing shopping centers. How is this beneficial to the community?

Several years ago, when O & S Holdings announced the development of Bridge Street, they promised retailers new to the area and specifically a high end department store. How have they lived up to that promise? A couple of years ago, they tried to get a tax abatement from the City of Huntsville to finance the construction of a parking deck so that Von Maur's could locate a store there. However, since that time there has been no further discussion about any new department store coming there.

I could give them more slack about stealing stores from other shopping centers if there were a Von Maur's and Macy's coming in. But as it is, it is hard to say that Bridge Street has lived up to its original promise.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:45 PM
America's Mars Rocket

We'll see how the Westside center responds. While it has a great collection of stores, Super Target being the anchor it's primitive strange parking, traffic flow patterns hurt it's overall appeal. It's location however enables it to overcome any negatives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast