HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:55 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Coming to University Place shopping center (Cheddars, Phil Sandavols center)
This probably the fastest turn around of a strip center we have ever seen

The tenants who have already leased space on the property include 24e Fitness, The Bookshelf, Big Bowl Thai Food, WOW Children’s Entertainment, Perfect Praise Early Childhood Music, Creative Bean Coffee Shop, Village Boutique, Miracle Ear and few restaurants including a pizzeria.

“There was an out-of-state company that owned this shopping center for years and they really didn’t want to fill this space for whatever reason — that was their development reason. However the new owner, Mark Gold loves the South and when he came to Huntsville he fell in love with it. And he bought this center 70% vacant and we now have it 70% full in two weeks,” says Debbie Collins, broker with Sperry Van Ness Commercial Real Estate in Huntsville.

From WHNT

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 5:25 AM

Huntsville only steadily growing large city in Alabama
Challen Stephens | cstephens@al.com By Challen Stephens | cstephens@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM, updated May 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Huntsville continues to be the fastest growing of the four large cities in Alabama. And in this latest report, it's the only one to grow at all since 2010.

According to Census estimates for cities released today, each of those four large cities is hovering around 200,000 residents. And lately the four have been drawing closer in size. That's because, Huntsville has been growing and catching up, while Montgomery has been shrinking.

And since 2010, there has been little to no change in the size of Birmingham or Mobile.

All other Alabama cities are far smaller, having fewer than 100,000 residents.

The Census two months ago had released the 2014 population estimates for counties and metro areas. The new data shows 2014 estimates for cities and towns.

Huntsville City now has 188,226 residents, up 4.5 percent since the 2010 Census count placed the population at 180,105.

While the greater Huntsville metro area -- counting Madison and Athens --- is now the second most populous metro in the state, Huntsville remains the fourth largest city.

Meanwhile, growth continues all around the city, including in small towns of Madison and Limestone counties.

Madison, the 10th largest city in Alabama as of the 2010 Census, continues to see rapid growth. It's up to 46,450 residents now, an 8.2 percent jump since 2010. Among the smaller cities in Alabama, only Auburn, Opelika and Phenix City have been growing faster than Madison over the last four years.

Athens in Limestone County is up to 24,522 residents, a 12 percent climb since 2010.

Every city and small town in Madison County grew since 2010, except for Gurley, which fell below 800 residents.

Owens Cross Roads is the seventh fastest growing place in the state. It's still small. It's up to just 1,767 residents, but that's a 16.2 percent spike in four years for the area east of Huntsville city limits.

In Limestone County, Ardmore grew by about 12 percent and the hamlet of Mooresville grew by 10 percent.

But much of the growth in Limestone has been inside the limits of larger cities that have been creeping into the undeveloped areas.

Portions of Madison City within Limetsone County jumped 17 percent since 2010, to surpass 4,000 residents. Huntsville grew 15 percent within Limestone County to claim 1,744 city residents. Even Decatur grew a little, now claiming 91 residents in Limestone County.

Most counties around Huntsville saw modest population gains since 2010, nothing like what is happening in Madison and Limestone counties.

Albertville, Arab, Boaz and Guntersville in Marshall County each grew by a couple percent since 2010. In Morgan County, Priceville is seeing a sudden expansion, growing 15 percent in four years to reach 3,061 residents. But growth in larger Decatur was flat, and the small towns of Falkville and Eva saw population loss.

Meanwhile, the new estimates show a different story in Jackson County to the east. There none of the 13 measured towns or areas grew over the last four years. Most shrank. Scottsboro itself was unchanged.

Across the state, small towns like Killen and Notasulga saw the steepest declines. Tuskegee, Selma, Demopolis and Monroeville were the only towns with over 5,000 people to see a drop of 4 percent or more since 2010.

(Source: http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...pidly_gro.html)

Looks like Huntsville will surpass the other three major cities of Alabama in population at this rate.

Last edited by HSV Resident; May 22, 2015 at 5:27 AM. Reason: Cleaning up post.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Resident View Post
Looks like Huntsville will surpass the other three major cities of Alabama in population at this rate.
And yet the state and ALDONT treats us like we don't matter and refuses to put in the investment for the roads up here.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
And yet the state and ALDONT treats us like we don't matter and refuses to put in the investment for the roads up here.
-laughs- This is why Huntsville and all of Madison County needs to break away from Alabama and join Tennessee. At least we would be treated better by the state government. On top of that, Huntsville is SO much more diverse and different than any other major city in Alabama.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:00 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
The Avenue downtown is underway and has two restaurants signed on with possibly a third.

Developer Charlie Sealy III said he has signed letters of intent from two restaurants that want to be part of his latest project, The Avenue.
Sealy declined to name the restaurants but did say one is a local concept and the other is from out of town. He said he is in negotiations with a third restaurant.
Sealy has an aggressive construction schedule for The Avenue. He hopes to have the commercial space roughed in by February, with the first apartments ready by late spring or early summer 2016.
From al.com

Meanwhile over at the much ballyhooed Constellation project..crickets and tumbleweeds.
Developers are running all over and around this town with ideas and projects but nothing from probably the best site in town.
Sealy Property Development, joined by the City of Huntsville and Chamber of Commerce, held a groundbreaking ceremony Tuesday
Site work has begun at The Avenue, which has signed letters of intent with new tenants to be announced at a later time. The project also includes a resort-style swimming pool, high-end amenities, an on-site 400-vehicle parking deck and large sidewalks to encourage outdoor dining and pedestrian walking.

The full development will be operational in about 16 months, with some lofts and tenants launching in a year

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:35 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Coming downtown..more retail
from their Facebook page
U.G. WHITE MERCANTILE IS COMING TO DOWNTOWN HUNTSVILLE!!
U.G. White is expanding to downtown Huntsville this Fall. Soon you will be able to visit downtown and shop in an authentic general store that has been serving North Alabama since 1917. Some of the provisions, dry goods, and gear brands carried by UG White include Patagonia KUHL Woolrich FilsonChacos W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. Toad&Co Frost River WOLVERINE BOOTS & APPAREL Mountain Khakis Tilley Endurables ENO Hammocks...

http://www.ugwhite.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/UG-White/96372236855

This will be a different than Harrison Brothers, Lewters and Garvins

Last edited by HSVTiger; May 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Coming downtown..more retail
from their Facebook page
U.G. WHITE MERCANTILE IS COMING TO DOWNTOWN HUNTSVILLE!!
U.G. White is expanding to downtown Huntsville this Fall. Soon you will be able to visit downtown and shop in an authentic general store that has been serving North Alabama since 1917. Some of the provisions, dry goods, and gear brands carried by UG White include Patagonia KUHL Woolrich FilsonChacos W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co. Toad&Co Frost River WOLVERINE BOOTS & APPAREL Mountain Khakis Tilley Endurables ENO Hammocks...

http://www.ugwhite.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/UG-White/96372236855

This will be a different than Harrison Brothers, Lewters and Garvins
At this point, the only thing that will really impress me about this city is the construction of a new tallest building or skyscraper.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
At this point, the only thing that will really impress me about this city is the construction of a new tallest building or skyscraper.
LOL! That is too bad because I don't think the conditions will exist in Huntsville to prompt that amount of spending for quite some time. Probably if it does happen it won't be downtown. I think that if we get really lucky we could have growth happen similar to the Cool Springs area of Nashville/Franklin. But how long has that growth taken? 30 years?

I AM excited about the progress the city has made over the last 10+ years and can't wait to see what happens over the next 10 years.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 2:58 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
LOL! That is too bad because I don't think the conditions will exist in Huntsville to prompt that amount of spending for quite some time. Probably if it does happen it won't be downtown. I think that if we get really lucky we could have growth happen similar to the Cool Springs area of Nashville/Franklin. But how long has that growth taken? 30 years?

I AM excited about the progress the city has made over the last 10+ years and can't wait to see what happens over the next 10 years.
It may not be evident but Huntsville has a very explosive and dynamic downtown in progress.
big projects on the horizon
City Center Big Spring.. underway
Downtown stadium possible
Two new major road infrastructure construction underway
High rise convention hotel. very possible
Huge growth Redstone Arsenal/Research Park

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 4:50 AM

The desire to see a new skyscraper in Huntsville is great and all, but could it be possible that the ground under Huntsville will not support such a structure. Since Limestone is so prevalent around N. Alabama and it is known to dissolve over time from water passing through cracks in it, it might not be possible to have a building much taller than what already exists downtown. There are several caves around and under Huntsville that could cause major structural issues should a taller building be erected. I can't verify that this is an issue. I am just merely throwing out to give everyone something to think about.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 1:55 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
The desire to see a new skyscraper in Huntsville is great and all, but could it be possible that the ground under Huntsville will not support such a structure. Since Limestone is so prevalent around N. Alabama and it is known to dissolve over time from water passing through cracks in it, it might not be possible to have a building much taller than what already exists downtown. There are several caves around and under Huntsville that could cause major structural issues should a taller building be erected. I can't verify that this is an issue. I am just merely throwing out to give everyone something to think about.
Really? this story has been around for decades. There are plenty of sites downtown that can handle whatever they want to build. Drill down to bedrock and go up. Dont think Huntsville has an engineering impossibility, Manhattan, Golden Gate, Hoover dam, 12 men walked on the moon have all been accomplished. What is impossible and holding the area hostage is the 1960 era highway infrastructure being used as a political ransom. It probably irritates aldot to no end seeing Huntsville prosper despite the highway departments excuses and delays

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 7:29 PM

If you read the next to the last sentence, I said that I can't verify that this is an issue.
I had never heard the story that this has been around for decades. I also know that you can drill down to bedrock and build on the support structure that results from this, however, I wonder how deep bedrock is around Huntsville and could this increase the cost to such a point that the builder loses interest in it. I have seen structures built on tv shows that amaze me in mankind's abilities so yes, it can be done, but at what cost.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 11:37 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
If you read the next to the last sentence, I said that I can't verify that this is an issue.
I had never heard the story that this has been around for decades. I also know that you can drill down to bedrock and build on the support structure that results from this, however, I wonder how deep bedrock is around Huntsville and could this increase the cost to such a point that the builder loses interest in it. I have seen structures built on tv shows that amaze me in mankind's abilities so yes, it can be done, but at what cost.
Exactly, the point is at what cost. It is true, the subsurface of downtown is basically like Swiss cheese. Of course this is mostly in the very center of downtown. The caves under downtown can't support much. Decatur had a problem when they were building the new arts college. During its construction they found that there was a cave beneath the construction and they had to go down and construct columns in it to support the the building on the surface. Btw, the building is only 3 floors, not very substantial.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 9:40 PM

Hyundai in Huntsville?

Interesting article in the Montgomery Advertiser Friday. The CEO was quoted as saying a new Montgomery plant (which had been rumored) would strain the workforce too much. He also said an announcement would be made in the next 90 days regarding a new North America plant.

Wouldn't surprise me if they chose Huntsville considering the rush to complete Greenbrier Parkway. Also with Volvo recently deciding to go to South Carolina after being rumored to have been considering the Sewell tract, maybe Huntsville lost interest after finding out Hyundai was interested in the site since it would be a much larger plant (300k cars/yr and probably >3k jobs).

Only thing is, Huntsville's labor force could be strained as well, with ~4,000 new manufacturing jobs within a couple miles announced in the last two years.

I'm probably looking at this through my Huntsville shaded glasses as well.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...kers/28045603/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 11:47 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Interesting article in the Montgomery Advertiser Friday. The CEO was quoted as saying a new Montgomery plant (which had been rumored) would strain the workforce too much. He also said an announcement would be made in the next 90 days regarding a new North America plant.

Wouldn't surprise me if they chose Huntsville considering the rush to complete Greenbrier Parkway. Also with Volvo recently deciding to go to South Carolina after being rumored to have been considering the Sewell tract, maybe Huntsville lost interest after finding out Hyundai was interested in the site since it would be a much larger plant (300k cars/yr and probably >3k jobs).

Only thing is, Huntsville's labor force could be strained as well, with ~4,000 new manufacturing jobs within a couple miles announced in the last two years.

I'm probably looking at this through my Huntsville shaded glasses as well.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...kers/28045603/
People will move to the jobs and Huntsville could handle it
with that in mind
The city and the state of Alabama have committed more than $11 million so far to build the new Greenbrier Parkway in Huntsville-annexed Limestone County

From its starting point near the Target distribution center, the wide boulevard will veer off Greenbrier Road and curve northwest through what is now mostly undeveloped farmland north of Interstate 565.

The first phase of Greenbrier Parway from the Polaris site to the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks is under construction, and a recently-approved second phase will extend the new road to Old Highway 20. It will eventually connect with Huntsville-Brownsferry Road near I-65.

But Huntsville officials say growth in the area is inevitable with Polaris building a massive all-terrain vehicle manufacturing plant off Greenbrier Road. The factory and separate research and development facility, due to open in 2016, will employ at least 1,700 people.

Polaris will have three entrances along Greenbrier Parkway, City Engineer Kathy Martin told AL.com.

The new road will also improve access to the 1,500-acre Sewell farm, which the city is having certified as an industrial development Megasite through the Tennessee Valley Authority. Volkswagen seriously considered the Sewell property for its first U.S. automotive plant in 2008 before choosing Chattanooga.

Under construction now, the 1.3-mile segment will go from just past the Target distribution center to the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks. It will be five lanes wide
From al.com

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:12 AM
America's Mars Rocket

The "new North Huntsville" could be ready to begin
this includes the area all the way to the state line

"Huntsville Director of Urban Development Shane Davis said the city is negotiating with companies interested in redeveloping the aging Builders Square shopping center near Max Luther Drive, as well as a commercial site near the Gander Mountain store.

"It's slow, but it's heading in the right direction," Davis told about 30 business association members gathered at Lakewood Baptist Church. "I'm excited to see what this area will look like in the next 36 months."

The 13-acre Builders Square property could become new restaurants, shops and multi-family housing, he said. "We think that can be a phenomenal mixed-use development."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:58 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
I wouldn't count out Birmingham just yet. For the first time in six decades, census.gov says that we're adding residents. Plus, by my count, there are close to 2,000 new units coming online in/around downtown Birmingham by next year.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:10 PM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I wouldn't count out Birmingham just yet. For the first time in six decades, census.gov says that we're adding residents. Plus, by my count, there are close to 2,000 new units coming online in/around downtown Birmingham by next year.
The difference is Huntsville has room to grow and stretch its legs. This is an enviable position, obviously, if done correctly.

Birmingham and Mobile's borders have largely stayed the same.

In Mobile's case, Mobile's police jurisdiction has around 265,000 people. If Mobile were to annex out to the current jurisdiction limits, the city would add 70,000 people.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:48 PM
Burming Hammer

^I'm not talking about annexing or growing out, though.

I'm talking about people flocking back to downtown and developing previously vacant buildings or lots.

In the '60s, Birmingham had almost double its current population.

We have plenty of room to grow...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:49 PM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
^I'm not talking about annexing or growing out, though.

I'm talking about people flocking back to downtown and developing previously vacant buildings or lots.

In the '60s, Birmingham had almost double its current population.

We have plenty of room to grow...
I know, but there's more rapid growth in Huntsville than the growth/re-birth of downtown Bham.

A city's population really means nothing anyways when comparing to other cities... metro or market areas are better indicators.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast