HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 9:11 PM

The Dirt's Diagrams

Tabor Two......1800 Larimer........1144 15th.....1501 Tremont........Four Seasons......1401 Lawrence.........Spire
Denver, CO

Embassy Suites......Glass House...........1900 16th.............The Pinnacle.....Hudson's Bay Centre......Sugar3
Denver, CO

Glenarm Place....Brown Palace Hotel....Hotel Teatro
Denver, CO

Cooper Tower.......Plaza of the Rockies.......Antler's Hilton Hotel....USAF Academy Chapel
Colorado Springs, CO

The Austonian....360 Condos.........Altavida.......Four Seasons.....Legacy at Town Lake....The Monarch
Austin, TX

Last edited by The Dirt; Nov 24, 2008 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 9:15 PM
BANNED

great, welcome, and very nice diagram. did u made by ur own? if so, hope u can upload soon. good luck in community.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:02 PM
I am a typical

Wow!

So many great illustrators coming out of the woodworking in the past few months. A rebirth of SSP???

Keep going, its very good but there is room for improvement. You've got a lot of potential.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:32 PM

Thank you, thank you! I'm not an illustrator yet, but hopefully they will let me register. I plan on getting some more done for Denver, but I'd also love to fill in for Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. If only Colorado had more proposals... that would keep me busy for quite some time.

I had a lot of trouble with the structural top of the building -- so many angles and rounded edges! Ugh. All of the stylized additions (reflections, shadows, etc.) were fairly straight-forward. Could anyone suggest some tips or tricks or a web site? I used Adobe Photoshop and Windows Paint.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
A rebirth of SSP???
I didn't realize SSP had a death! I've been on the site for a very long time... back in the days when the site took forever to load! However, I didn't feel the need to create an account until now. I'm sure there's quite a lot of people like that out there.

Last edited by The Dirt; Dec 12, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 10:54 PM
I am a typical

Well the past couple years has seen a bit of a slow down in illustrators but it seems to be ramping up again. Dylan should have the registration system back up soon, I hope. Saturnspace got an illustrator account so maybe they can do the same for you?

The only tip or trick I have is to practise. Work on lots of smaller buildings to figure out new ways to draw things then apply it to larger buildings later on.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I actually really like the way your buildings have a realistic metallic look and your reflections/highlights add a 3rd dimension.

I can't wait to get an account so I can start to fill in some of the missing diagrams in my neck of the woods.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
I am a typical

Thanks. I used Paint.NET's cloud effect for that. You highlight the area to which you want to apply the effect, and then fiddle around with it until it looks good. I imagine photoshop has a similar effect? Paint.NET is basically a free but watered down version of Photoshop.

You could ask Martins how he does it, he's really good at that effect.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 4:47 AM
Robotic Construction

vid,
Where is the cloud effect located on Paint.NET ? I was just looking for it under "Effects" and did not see it anywhere. What should I practice doing, to learn how to illustrate buildings? I have Paint.NET and a couple other free programs.

The Dirt,
Nice job! I have been trying to put together an aerial rendering of downtown Denver, with the under-construction and proposed projects in the pipeline. I imagine you have seen some of my crud attempts? If you could put a quality one together and allow me to post it in City Compilations under my DENVER: Downtown high-rise boom - 12+ stories thread, that would be excellent. You would get full credit, of course!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 6:34 AM
Riga

Welcome, The Dirt! Nice drawing.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:17 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
vid,
Where is the cloud effect located on Paint.NET ? I was just looking for it under "Effects" and did not see it anywhere. What should I practice doing, to learn how to illustrate buildings? I have Paint.NET and a couple other free programs.
Effects > Render > Clouds

It was somewhere else, they've moved things around with the latest releases. They keep doing that, it's pretty annoying.

The best way to practise is to start off drawing lots of simple buildings, then gradually get more complex. You can always go back later and re-draw something when your skills improve. Draw what you see but don't go into a level of detail that's too cumbersome for you. (IE, don't draw lawns chairs or people in windows, and you can probably do without curtains at first as well)

I usually use paint to get the main part of the building done, and use paint.NET to add details afterwards. I use irfanview to scale the drawings. Irfanview also has some other effects (noise, blur) which can enhance the diagram if used properly.

Always save backups, especially when you're playing with effects. Just in case you fuck up, you haven't lost the entire thing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:13 PM

hey, no offense to "vid" , but I think Dirts diagram is just as good if not better!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:10 PM

Great drawing!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...40#post2931840

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 3:25 AM

I just added 1800 Larimer.

I think it's a bit wide, but what do you guys think? The diagram is based on the day-time rendering, so it will look different than what I have on here. Check out http://www.denver-cityscape.com/downtownprojects.html to see it. Again, comments would help me make it look more like the real thing.

Also added 1144 15th (Hines).

Last edited by The Dirt; Dec 17, 2007 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 6:00 PM

I just added The Mondrian. This is a small office building in downtown Denver that is being converted into luxury apartments. Right now I'm focused on modeling new, newly converted, proposed, and buildings under construction in Denver. 1144 15th is technically canceled, but may make a comeback in a similar design sometime next year. Tabor 2 sounds like it's a definite go for 2008.

If anyone has any requests for Colorado, let me know. I need the practice!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:11 AM

Added Four Season, currently under construction.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 1:02 PM

Posted by The Dirt
Quote:
I'm not an illustrator yet, but hopefully they will let me register. I plan on getting some more done for Denver, but I'd also love to fill in for Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. I
I think your work is amazing. I wouldn't begin to know how to do what you do. Want to give cooper tower a shot?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by front_range_guy View Post
Posted by The Dirt

I think your work is amazing. I wouldn't begin to know how to do what you do. Want to give cooper tower a shot?
Thank you very much! Cooper tower is definitely on my short list! I'll give it a shot -- I just wish there were some better renderings out there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Thank you very much! Cooper tower is definitely on my short list! I'll give it a shot -- I just wish there were some better renderings out there.
Yeah. A couple of different renderings appeared in The Colorado Springs Business Journal a couple of weeks ago. I posted them here. 5th post down.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 2:13 AM

Okay, so I finished the first draft of Cooper Tower. I'm sure I'll make about 5-10 edits to it by tomorrow afternoon. I tried to take the most common elements from the 3-4 different renderings, although they weren't identical. Hopefully, this project will move into development, and I'll be able to match up the diagram more accurately. I hope it looks good!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams