HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Winkler-Morden Thread

For discussion in regards to the booming area of Winkler-Morden which I have read has 30000 people in the area.

Edit: Or maybe the mods can change this to the "Other Manitoba cities" thread so that Brandon, Thompson, Steinbach, and all other Manitoba cities around 10,000 people can have a thread devoted to them like Alberta does.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:16 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Bigger than Selkirk and East St. Paul combined.

Time for some transit there if there isn't already.

When I hear the town name of Winkler, of course I think of this chap. The town name predates his acting career.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:20 PM

Morden-Winkler Transit

An SSP thread started by Armorand in 2011:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191329

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:36 PM

Last edited by LilZebra; Aug 7, 2017 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 10:27 PM

Morden has a plan to grow to 15,000 by 2020 (which is quite ambitious), but I'm sure that's attainable in the next decade if they continue bringing in so many immigrants.

http://www.mordenmb.com/wp-content/u...lan2017_sm.pdf

It's only a matter of years before Winkler swallows up Reinfeld and Schanzenfeld, which will add about 2,000 residents to it's urban area.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Morden has a plan to grow to 15,000 by 2020 (which is quite ambitious), but I'm sure that's attainable in the next decade if they continue bringing in so many immigrants.

http://www.mordenmb.com/wp-content/u...lan2017_sm.pdf

It's only a matter of years before Winkler swallows up Reinfeld and Schanzenfeld, which will add about 2,000 residents to it's urban area.
Imagine if Winkler-Morden eventually grew into each other, and merged. Imagine if the area surpassed Brandon in terms of population? That would really be something. I've never been there but I am sure it is nice. I've seen Morden on Google maps, and Lake Minnewasta.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:04 AM
Heart of the Continent

I thought that Steinbach was actually the area in danger of surpassing Brandon?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Imagine if Winkler-Morden eventually grew into each other, and merged. Imagine if the area surpassed Brandon in terms of population? That would really be something. I've never been there but I am sure it is nice. I've seen Morden on Google maps, and Lake Minnewasta.
I can't see Winkler-Morden surpassing Brandon, although I have contemplated what it would be like if they grew into each other. I believe they are trying to promote the "Pembina Corridor" (or something like that), with the goal of turning highway 3/highway 14 into a commercial and industrial strip.

I could see Steinbach and Brandon competing for the 100,000 mark, simply because of Steinbach's proximity to Winnipeg. MMM Group conducted a study a few years back which anticipated that city reaching 100,000 in about 50 years.

https://steinbachonline.com/local/st...in-fifty-years

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:31 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:

I could see Steinbach and Brandon competing for the 100,000 mark, simply because of Steinbach's proximity to Winnipeg. MMM Group conducted a study a few years back which anticipated that city reaching 100,000 in about 50 years.

https://steinbachonline.com/local/st...in-fifty-years
I just can't see that happening even if I would like to.

Steinbach is certainly growing quickly and there's no reason to think it will stop any time soon. That being said, even 50 years seems too short for it to achieve 100K. I can picture maybe 50 or 60 but not 100. In this case, its proximity to Winnipeg would probably hurt it as Winnipeg is neither big enough nor growing fast enough to require any sort of run-off city to deal with too much growth.

Brandon at 100K ? That's a much tougher call. Don't forget, Brandon was stagnant for years. Probably even longer than Winnipeg was (the 90's) The impetus for growth came from a hog processing plant so once that reaches its full potential, what's next?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:44 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

Steinbach is certainly growing quickly and there's no reason to think it will stop any time soon. That being said, even 50 years seems too short for it to achieve 100K. I can picture maybe 50 or 60 but not 100.
I think the idea is that the CA of Steinbach will grow - the surrounding area is already around 60K people.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:38 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I think the idea is that the CA of Steinbach will grow - the surrounding area is already around 60K people.

Oh. Well, that's not unreasonable.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

Steinbach is certainly growing quickly and there's no reason to think it will stop any time soon. That being said, even 50 years seems too short for it to achieve 100K. I can picture maybe 50 or 60 but not 100. In this case, its proximity to Winnipeg would probably hurt it as Winnipeg is neither big enough nor growing fast enough to require any sort of run-off city to deal with too much growth.

Brandon at 100K ? That's a much tougher call. Don't forget, Brandon was stagnant for years. Probably even longer than Winnipeg was (the 90's) The impetus for growth came from a hog processing plant so once that reaches its full potential, what's next?
i envision Steinbach is to Winnipeg like Hamilton is to Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
They need more CRUs!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 9:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
i envision Steinbach is to Winnipeg like Hamilton is to Toronto.
I envision it as Okotoks is to Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:28 PM

Isn't Steinbach in the process of expanding it's municipal boundaries right now? I remember reading something a year or so ago.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Isn't Steinbach in the process of expanding it's municipal boundaries right now? I remember reading something a year or so ago.
Yes, they are doubling the land area last I heard.

http://www.steinbach.ca/city-hall/ci...ng/land-annex/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

I figure that the RM of Hanover will be included in the Steinbach CA in the near future (maybe by the 2021 census), which together have a population of approx 32,000.

Imagine, by the time Winnipeg CMA reaches 1 million in 15-20 years,

Brandon CA will be around 75,000
Steinbach CA will be around 60,000 (incl. Hanover)
Winkler-Morden CA will be around 50,000

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:18 PM
There is always a way

Based on that map, the expansion would more than double the area the city limits occupy. That indicates to me that they are planning well ahead. I wonder if we'll keep seeing the kind of growth that Steinbach has seen in the last couple of decades persist.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I envision it as Okotoks is to Calgary.
Imagine Steinbach becoming like Okotoks or Airdrie, that's probably not too many years away and Oakbank being like Sherwood Park or St. Albert in a few decades.

I wouldn't doubt if in a decade, Ile des Chenes, La Salle, Lorette, Oak Bluff, Oakbank and St. Adolphe all have a population of 5,000 or more.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:17 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Imagine Steinbach becoming like Okotoks or Airdrie, that's probably not too many years away and Oakbank being like Sherwood Park or St. Albert in a few decades.

I wouldn't doubt if in a decade, Ile des Chenes, La Salle, Lorette, Oak Bluff, Oakbank and St. Adolphe all have a population of 5,000 or more.
I can't really speak for the others, but Lorette, where I grew up, should reach close to 5,000 in the next 5 years. Based on conversations with a councilor for the RM of Tache, there have been several subdivisions recently approved that should add close to 1,000 new homes by final build out. With the town already over 3,000 I'd expect there to be about 2,000 new residents from these new homes.

I also suspect the situation is similar in the towns you mentioned. Ile-des-Chenes is a bit smaller but growing more rapidly. I'd add Grand Pointe to the list, as well as Landmark, though these two are further behind and don't have the growth to do it in 10 years. I see a scenario where urban areas interact though for sure, which is kinda scary if you think about the whole sprawl thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan