HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I was thinking similar thoughts. Yeah, enough with the "all or nothing / my way or the highway" attitude. Old buildings are great, and new buildings are great... when they're great. There's a lot of old crap and new crap too... and mediocrity in between. IMO, Frost Tower is closer to great while the garage so far isn't. That is a completely separate issue from anything else in San Antonio.
I couldn't agree more! Love the frost tower but so far the garage is a bit of a let down. It looked more promising in the renderings.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
I couldn't agree more! Love the frost tower but so far the garage is a bit of a let down. It looked more promising in the renderings.
I agree. I wonder if the glass had been a bit less translucent (more "frosted") or if it had a very soft color, would it "read" better. In your third photo of the garage, the glass actually gets lost so much that you have to look hard to delineate it from the concrete beams.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I agree. I wonder if the glass had been a bit less translucent (more "frosted") or if it had a very soft color, would it "read" better. In your third photo of the garage, the glass actually gets lost so much that you have to look hard to delineate it from the concrete beams.
Yes, exactly. Garages are unattractive but are a necessity so it is key that the structure be dressed up as much as possible to hide the skeleton and to also compliment the tower in this case.

I understand it's just a rendering and that the construction of the garage isn't complete yet, but this is what I was expecting. So far i'm not seeing it and it doesn't look like they were going with the glass panels here..or maybe they were but they would of been more reflective than transparent and slimmer..

Last edited by PDG91; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:05 AM

This is an example of how the Frost Tower could have retained its shape and design with the parking garage included in the height of the design. I previously believed the new Frost Tower could not have had both in preserving its shape, especially at ground level facing N. Flores Street. I feel as more time goes by that the Frost Tower is going to become exemplified as what future developments (if any of this scale) should not do and what can be done to better the downtown skyline of San Antonio. Of recent, the garage has by far been the biggest disappointment, making this altogether project a "okay, we got it, let's move on" development. When walking around the tower at ground level, one gets the feel of concrete and missed opportunities, a feeling that is not one you should have when being close to two parks on both ends of the Tower.

https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...ight-increase/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Definitely a great addition to the skyline, but it could (and should) have been two or three stories taller.

https://instagram.fbos1-1.fna.fbcdn....83021044_n.jpg

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
This is an example of how the Frost Tower could have retained its shape and design with the parking garage included in the height of the design. I previously believed the new Frost Tower could not have had both in preserving its shape, especially at ground level facing N. Flores Street. I feel as more time goes by that the Frost Tower is going to become exemplified as what future developments (if any of this scale) should not do and what can be done to better the downtown skyline of San Antonio. Of recent, the garage has by far been the biggest disappointment, making this altogether project a "okay, we got it, let's move on" development. When walking around the tower at ground level, one gets the feel of concrete and missed opportunities, a feeling that is not one you should have when being close to two parks on both ends of the Tower.

https://austin.towers.net/downtown-a...ight-increase/
This was a good example, would it have been possible to have a garage at the base of the tower in shape of the tower itself? We will never know..

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Definitely a great addition to the skyline, but it could (and should) have been two or three stories taller.

Magnificent!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

Architecturally/aesthetically I agree. But it was a pretty unproven market at the time, with it being the most expensive office space in town and what not, so keeping it on the shorter side was a reasonable hedge imo. I heard earlier this week that they're doing pretty good getting it leased up (I think they said 2/3rds leased, I don't have any details though).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:56 PM

The Frost building is the best thing going (IMO), but it looks lonely. We definitely need to build it some glass friends!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:05 PM
Meh

It looks great, but as always (and I say this about almost every building), I wish it was taller. With this design especially, though, I really wish it was taller. It's such a great looking building. I'm still wishing they had either put the parking below grade or had it under the tower to give it some more height. If they had put all of the parking levels under the tower, they likely could have added another 120 feet or so pushing it past 500 feet. Still, it's a great design. The only reason I wish it was taller is because of how good it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
This was a good example, would it have been possible to have a garage at the base of the tower in shape of the tower itself? We will never know..
Of course, they could have. There are plenty of round shaped buildings with round parking garages.

For me, the most notable one has always been Chicago's Marina City Towers.

Video Link

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Nov 17, 2018 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:07 AM
JACKinBeantown

^^ The gradual curve would be perfect for the ramps anyway.

My problem with the garage is that it's precast concrete with some thin slabs of glass attached. It looks nothing like the tower and everything like a precast concrete parking garage with some thin slabs of glass attached.

https://media.tenor.com/images/53cfe...d7e6/tenor.gif

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:56 AM

[IMG]Frost Bank on the skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:08 AM

[IMG]Old meets New by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:20 AM

The lighting of the tower has been going a floor at a time. Based on this, it looks like either tomorrow or after the holiday, they will light up the whole tower at once.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Like the look of the tower, I can even tolerate the garage, but that awful parking lot right on San Pedro Creek is unacceptable. I know there's residential right there that the lot serves, but DAMN!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Like the look of the tower, I can even tolerate the garage, but that awful parking lot right on San Pedro Creek is unacceptable. I know there's residential right there that the lot serves, but DAMN!
That isn’t parking for residential. That’s a parking low for the Christus medical facility.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 12:26 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I get the feeling something will go up there in the next few years. The Alameda, the Creek, Frost with its retail, and the impending growth in the area will make that location too desirable.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
I get the feeling something will go up there in the next few years. The Alameda, the Creek, Frost with its retail, and the impending growth in the area will make that location too desirable.
On to of the garage? I don't think so. They just built it lol

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:33 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
On to of the garage? I don't think so. They just built it lol
I'm sorry, I meant the parking lot in the foreground. My bad. Yeah, the garage sucks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:09 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant the parking lot in the foreground. My bad. Yeah, the garage sucks.
No. It's too small, and CVS owns it. They make a lot of money just having it as a parking lot. During the opening ceremony of the San Pedro Ceek Culture Park, this place was charging $25 just to park. I did not pay and just used the spot where I work not fair down the street. Nevertheless, people were parking there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio