HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Is Angel Knolls (next to Angel's Flight incline?) a big enough parcel for a supertall? How about fronting on Pershing Square?
Yes it is big enough. Supertalls are going up in tiny spaces in NYC, all the super slender towers. But this lot has enough space to hold a massive building.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. Is Angel Knolls (next to Angel's Flight incline?) a big enough parcel for a supertall? How about fronting on Pershing Square?
Barring some sort of demolition, I doubt we could have a supertall adjacent to Pershing Square. However, I don't think it's necessarily crazy to think that the lot just south of Pershing square on The east side of Olive St behind the immigration court is a perfect size for a nice slender super tall. One can dream.

I'm more excited for the day that parking minimums are relaxed or removed altogether downtown and we can start to see those slender lots (which outnumber the large parking lots 10:1) give way to interesting developments.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:19 PM

Lightbulb

^^^ Maybe that day may come sooner than later. The BEST thing about this boom, minus the obvious height, sheer amount of towers and economic boom happening downtown, is the fact that that most of the "Big wide open lots" are gone. So now we're getting down to plots of land that can only hold one tower and not 3-4 towers.

The city will be pressured to figure out the parking minimum mess since some of these lots are too small to actually consider holding any kind of large amounts of parking. Best example.... The parking lot that serves the Pantry..... If/when that 975 ft tower gets built. That Pantry parking lot is, in my opinion, tooo small to have subterranean parking and/or parking structure. Engineers are brilliant and I'm sure it can be done but its just a waste. We'll start seeing developers saying NO!.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:28 PM

Good news. 4th and Broadway under construction.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:31 PM

^^^ AMAZING. GREAT NEWS ! Let the construction train keep on rolling.

Just an opinion. I know everyone has their sights set on Angel Knolls for the cities next supertall. But in my opinion, (purely for aesthetic purposes) I think a supertall, hopefully somewhere in the 1200-plus range, should be on that lot across the street from Macys plaza on flower street.....There's also that parking lot next to the standard hotel that could hold something pretty tall... Both spots will Keep LAs famous "Peak" in the skyline if they were chosen.

And I know I'm going to get backlash for this.... I always do...But....im going to say it again anyway. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEAR DOWN THAT DAM* SMART & FINAL STORE ON FIG ! PLEASE ! IT NEEDS TO GO!. That lot can easily hold 2 modest towers and maybe a supertall. It would be a great way to link Metropolis with the fig corridor.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ AMAZING. GREAT NEWS ! Let the construction train keep on rolling.

Just an opinion. I know everyone has their sights set on Angel Knolls for the cities next supertall. But in my opinion, (purely for aesthetic purposes) I think a supertall, hopefully somewhere in the 1200-plus range, should be on that lot across the street from Macys plaza on flower street.....There's also that parking lot next to the standard hotel that could hold something pretty tall... Both spots will Keep LAs famous "Peak" in the skyline if they were chosen.

And I know I'm going to get backlash for this.... I always do...But....im going to say it again anyway. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEAR DOWN THAT DAM* SMART & FINAL STORE ON FIG ! PLEASE ! IT NEEDS TO GO!. That lot can easily hold 2 modest towers and maybe a supertall. It would be a great way to link Metropolis with the fig corridor.
I actually agree 100%.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:24 AM

This has nothing to do with any projects currently in the works or under construction but I would like to share my thoughts and get some opinions. I have always hated the substantial gap left between Bunker Hill and US Bank. CBRE is there, but not tall enough to create a "flowing" skyline, if you will. Is there any possibility of the AT&T switching center getting bought & demolished? Not sure how important it is, as it seems to be a place that still provides cell service so I would guess it won't be going anywhere any time soon. I did a little mock-up below. One is just a taller CRBE, and the other is a tower behind CRBE.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Unlimited height according to few sources.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:46 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
This has nothing to do with any projects currently in the works or under construction but I would like to share my thoughts and get some opinions. I have always hated the substantial gap left between Bunker Hill and US Bank. CBRE is there, but not tall enough to create a "flowing" skyline, if you will. Is there any possibility of the AT&T switching center getting bought & demolished? Not sure how important it is, as it seems to be a place that still provides cell service so I would guess it won't be going anywhere any time soon. I did a little mock-up below. One is just a taller CRBE, and the other is a tower behind CRBE.
That building serves 1.3 million users of the 213 area code so I don't think it's going to go anywhere anytime soon. There's a couple of parking lots around the building but I'm not sure how safe it is living next to a giant microwave tower.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Good news. 4th and Broadway under construction.
This is a pretty big deal as Chinese money has been drying up of late. Good to hear this one happening.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
That building serves 1.3 million users of the 213 area code so I don't think it's going to go anywhere anytime soon. There's a couple of parking lots around the building but I'm not sure how safe it is living next to a giant microwave tower.
Why is something like that even allowed to still be downtown?? Isn't that dangerous!? Shouldnt it be on the top of a hill, or as high as possible? Possibly even away from people?? Kinda like towers on Mt Lee.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
This is a pretty big deal as Chinese money has been drying up of late.
That's actually not the case.

An influx of Chinese capital will continue into 2017 as China’s economy slows. L.A., NY and San Francisco are the favorite cities for Chinese investments.

Many more projects like "Olympia" are in the pipeline.

That said.. It might slow down at one point. China's government is trying to curb investments abroad. The government says that they are afraid that companies take too much debt.
The truth is that they are pushing companies to improve the connectivity and cooperation between Eurasian countries. It's called "Belt and Road" project. More and more regulations are enforced..

edit:

Glad that 4th and Broadway is moving forward...

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Aug 23, 2017 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
That's actually not the case.
It's actually quite the case. The Chinese govt recently put very restrictive controls on capital leaving the country. Here's just a few articles on the topic-

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/chin...s-working.html

And after years of Chinese firms and individuals snapping up properties overseas, pushing real estate prices to new highs, buyers are finally pulling back. China's overseas direct property investment fell 82 percent in the first six months this year. Analysts forecast the downward trend will continue, leading to a "material slowdown," with transaction volume and prices expected to come under pressure, according to a Morgan Stanley report.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ywang/2.../#776b2c5f3da6

These guys are the owners of One Beverly Hills project-

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...utiny-j6mxxzja

https://www.wsj.com/articles/billion...ams-1501170450

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...727-story.html

Wanda’s sudden retreat comes as China’s communist leaders have moved to rein in some of the country’s biggest private companies. The government believes Wanda and other firms have borrowed too much and invested blindly overseas — overpaying for assets that have little strategic value to the country.

Many many more examples like this out there right now.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:05 PM

USC Village

Certainly not the most significant bit of news but this is amusing.

USC Didn’t Misspell ‘Shakespeare,’ Okay?
https://www.thecut.com/2017/08/usc-d...eare-okay.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:36 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/mitsui-fudo...ond-dtla-tower

So that Mitsui Fudosan tower on 8th street between Hope and Grand has apparently had some minor changes to the design ( no new renderings yet) AND *Drum Roll* its gotten taller. It was 467ft tall now its 499ft tall. Ill take the extra 30 feet. BUT.....They are adding 60 parking stalls....It has a Spring 2019 Ground breaking. So 3 years since it was initially proposed?. I thought the Mayor promised to streamline the approval process on these new buildings ?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:30 PM

Edit, sorry. Transferred to the the non-downtown forum.

Last edited by Steve8263; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:10 PM

Hey guys, i'll be updating the front page shortly. Take one last glance at it because I fear we might not have that many projects rising at once for awhile.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:43 PM

Any recent 820 So. Olive & Oceanwide update?

Could someone post new photos on the progress of 820 So. Olive (49 floors) & Oceanwide (50/40/40 floors) here or on the specific project pages. Those towers must be reaching at least the 1/2 way point. Thanks! The Metropolis 58 story is great addition to skyline.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 23, 2017 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Hey guys, i'll be updating the front page shortly. Take one last glance at it because I fear we might not have that many projects rising at once for awhile.
Would love to see at least one more supertall (ideally over 1200') before this boom winds down (hopefully it won't wind down). L.A.'s Empire State Building (but mixed use residential/office/hotel/retail). At Angel Knolls, on top of Bunker Hill, fronting Pershing Square or So. Fig. The 975 footer on So. Fig. almost qualifies as a super--maybe they can add a spire to get it well over 1000'? Is that approved & funded, or just a proposal?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations