HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:21 PM

website up www.marinegateway.ca has a rendering including the rental housing component

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 3:02 PM
ON3P Skis

I think this project looks fantastic. I too am wondering about where the rental tower would go. Hopefully it wouldn't be at the expense of anything that is currently there in the render?

I also don't think this will kill the Wal-Mart on Marine. It may delay it, but I doubt it will kill it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 3:08 PM

^ jlousa said this project would fill the area's retail capacity, and considering how big Wal-Mart is (especially what they were proposing at Marine) it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Here's the rental building, on the left:

And the rental building's top is peeping above the office buildings....also notice, behind the market housing tower there seems to be a faint outline for a tower across the street:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 3:46 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

OK now here is a stretch buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

in the renders they show a SUPERSTORE as a store.............

maybe Superstore has feelers in to move over? Both Vancouver Superstores are dumpy IMO.

Or on the other and and even better hand Walmart would be wise to snag the space there I mean its got great transit AND road connections. right?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 4:07 PM

^ if you've seen the ICBC site, it's actually pretty small....I'd imagine Superstore would need a lot more space, and parking as well. Most of their customers, at least from what I've seen, buy cart loads of items. It's basically a mini-Costco.

I believe their Marine Drive store is also a regional warehouse.

I think a Walmart there would be much more realistic and ideal.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Leftcoaster has provided you guys with a few juicy hints lately, but obviously hasn't been able to release too much info. Well he'll no longer be held back as the info has been made public now.

Here are a few renders of what it might look like.

Hey! I didn't even know I was allowed to post things! Left out of the loop once again.

I am confused though... these renderings are missing a large tower which should be situated to the left of the development, the 22 storey rental tower.

where did you come across these renders Jlousa, because that is a rather large oversight!

Edit* Oops that is the rental-less option. I haven't been paying attention to that one as much, because as it appears right now PCI is leaning to building all 3 towers... but we all know how quickly an owner can change their mind.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I take it that the "wavy" roof feature is what jlousa talked about when he said that the similar motif on one of the early convention centre plans would appear elsewhere soon.
That is the roof I was talking about, but the initial renders when I was alluding to it preciously had it much more similar to the convention centre design. This is what I was talking about that I wasn't allowed to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
I think the project overall is fantastic....though one thing I'd like them to change is the charcoal grey wall on the podium's facade. It might look alright in the renderings, but odds are when it actually does get built....not so much.

Of course, this is probably far from being the original design after the City has its way with it. But, just pointing it out.

The charcoal grey will actually be a type of brick facade seen on PCI's other major Vancouver development Crossroads. It actually turned out quite well on crossroads and I imagine it will look great here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
OK now here is a stretch buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

in the renders they show a SUPERSTORE as a store.............

maybe Superstore has feelers in to move over? Both Vancouver Superstores are dumpy IMO.

Or on the other and and even better hand Walmart would be wise to snag the space there I mean its got great transit AND road connections. right?
I believe the space is for a grocery store right now (maybe a RCS) but it is probably too small for anything that large. Despite how it looks on the renderings the CRU is only 41000sf, although it is right next to a 23000sf CRU and below two more spaces as well so perhaps they could be combined.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:39 PM

Out of curiousity, and because I didn't see it in the docs - does anyone know:

-Proposed FSR
-Total Sq Ft of project (residential + commercial)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:53 PM

if you look closely there are exactly 2 towers on the north side of the marine, looks like it might be the old commercial strip,

tried to quote/reply to Mr.2X but running IE beta 8 and the quote option didn't work.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:14 PM

Thanks for the info!

Mr. X2 is right - the existing Superstore is part of ther regional warehouse - that's how the store was able to open in the industrial area - as "ancilliary" to warehouse (industrial) use (i.e. and that's why Save-on-Foods hadn't opened in Vancouver)

Can't say I'm keen on the gray brick strip along SW Marine Drive - looks too bulky to me. Like a heavy awning - the type buildings are removing, not building.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:58 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this proposal on a site currently zoned Industrial? Is the City very likely to release industrial land for residential use?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 11:11 PM

wonder if the residential tower will force the trains to slow down near the station because of noise, very much like the citygate towers near main&sci world stn.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 1:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not surprised Officedweller was the one that noticed this projects biggest snag.

The property is currently zoned industrial, PCI is going to use the eco-density card here and offer the city an amenity it desperately seeks(the rental tower). As you know the city is trying to preserve it's indusrtial base, with a new program starting up to save space especially around transit. PCI will try and get this approved soon before that process concludes.
If you noticed their documents, they've even done the studies to show this project will employ more people then if left strictly industrial. Will certainly be many eyes watching what the city does on this project.

The supermarket won't be a RCS, I'm almost positive no tenant has been chosen yet but think closer to a medium sized supermarket store.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 9:48 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The supermarket won't be a RCS, I'm almost positive no tenant has been chosen yet but think closer to a medium sized supermarket store.
I would put my money on a Save-On Foods

thanks for all the info this is a very exciting project to say the least

TOD anyone?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:06 PM

And I bet a Starbucks will be there too ^^

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 3:08 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ And Tim Hortons??

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 7:53 PM

they put the condos close to the tracks and the rentals further from them - won't it be really loud next to the tracks?

my friend lived right next to joyce and he said he could never open his windows cause of the skytrain noise all day

anyway - maybe they could open the smaller new format of wal-mart there - like the one in east van - its said to be an example of their future stores - small more compact but all the same stuff inside

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:27 PM

As long as the don't allow the residents to slow down the train or cause problems for the surrounding industrial lands i am happy about this development.

First thing the sales rep should point out - Train plus Industrial lands will equal noise. Of course anyone with half a brain does not need someone to tell them something so simple, but after seeing the attitudes of many condo and home owners...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:44 PM

^ i highly doubt sales reps are that responsible, i mean that's just a terrible sales pitch - why NOT to buy.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 8:49 PM

I am just saying the city should not always let new residents knowingly moving into louder areas get their own way. From my apartment i can hear the skytrain, traffic on Kingsway, emergency vehicles non-stop and drunks on the weekend, but i don't complain, simply because i knew i was moving into a more urban environment and I knew to expect such noises in trade for having close proximity to so many services and a view. The people moving here should simply accept there is a train and industrial lands, and for every benefit (living close to mass transit and jobs) there is a con (the noise) and to simply deal with it. The same way those moving to the low density suburbs or rural locations (looking for peace and quiet) accept that they will have poor transit and long drives to amenities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver