HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
On the contrary, recent studies (http://www.collierscanada.com/~/medi...ng%202011.ashx) have shown that Canadians spend more per capita on retail goods than our American counterparts.

This is particularly interesting when one considers that Canadians possess a lower average income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita) and yet pay a greater amount (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...es-bmo-110414/) for the same item as our southern neighbors.
And Canadian consumer debt levels have now surpassed US ones, so anyone basing a business plan for high-end retail on that report is going to get burned, likely sooner rather than later. There are only some wealthy immigrants to go around, and they're unlikely to keep a large store afloat. The rest of the populace waits in 2 hour border line-ups to get to the Premium Outlet Mall in Burlington.

As to the building, its not as horrendous as some woudl make out. Google any modern downtown department stires. Aside from the strangely missing ground level windows, its no worse than many examples, and better than some:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...31&FORM=IDFRIR

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
What is Jysk, (or is it J.Y.S.K.)? Love to know
you live in europe they are all over europe

www.jysk.fr/

they are based out of denmark with stores worldwide

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
What is Jysk, (or is it J.Y.S.K.)? Love to know
It's pronounced "yisk" and it's the Danish equivalent (but not really) of IKEA.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:06 AM

There is one in Maple Ridge, it is pretty much a smaller scaled IKEA.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:08 AM

nordstrom knows what they are doing, i am sure they have kept track of their shipping and customers based in canada - i think i read once that they had a large amount of vancouver based customers based on their internet shopping numbers

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Having Sears closing is great news! But for me it seems to be only the first step of a true big announcement. What is done with the site and what replaces Sears could go either way, it actually makes me nervous. For example, a new tenant could move in without even re-cladding the building. Another bad scenario is that condo towers are built on site (and this area would be the worst in the entire city to have condo towers). I guess thats why I feel like this, because as is right now it is very open ended.

makes me nervous too, all the way over here. given the stupidity awards of the city government, hold your breath tight on this one, and get ready to protest if necessary ... (well, however to express yourself best)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
you live in europe they are all over europe

www.jysk.fr/

they are based out of denmark with stores worldwide
Yes I know, I was kidding

they are craptastic

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
It's pronounced "yisk" and it's the Danish equivalent (but not really) of IKEA.
How do the Danes carry all that stuff home on their bikes?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:54 AM
loafing in lotusland

For those of you worrying about another high end retailer surviving... you don't have to worry. The gap between the extremely wealthy and the poor is wider than ever before. More and more industries and retail is targetting this growing market. Growing in wealth and influence, not necessarily size.

It's just the way things are going in most English-speaking developed countries. Governments with little money, wealth being concentrated in a few.

Not to be such a downer, it's just the way it is. I'm sure Nordstrom will do just fine. But I could be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:57 AM

the way high end works too is say nordstrom and holt renfrew both carry chanel - but nordstrom may get the exclusive on certain chanel pieces from the collection so they are the only store one can go to, to get that particular piece and vice versa for holts - exclusive could just mean colour too - like holts get all the red jackets and nordstrom gets the same jacket in black or whatever

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:05 AM

I think Nordstrom is going to give Holt Renfrew a tough time since it has stronger buying power due to the companies shear size... meaning it is buying for more than 100 full line stores as opposed to Holt's 9 stores. That also means if brands are forced to choose between Holts and Nordstrom they would sooner drop Holts in order to maintain their business relationship in the US with Nordstrom. It will be interesting to see what brands will be carried in Nordstrom's future Vancouver store.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:15 AM

nordstrom isn't as high end as holts though - i mean you can get sketchers, converse and nike at most nordstrom stores in the shoe dept. compared to gucci, dsquared and whatever

my korean friend said holt renfrew is a real dept store to him like back in korea, but small, he said sears and the bay are not dept stores he is used to and doesn't think of them the same way

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:22 AM

I didn't say that Nordstrom was more high end than Holt Renfrew. Nordstrom covers a much broader market than Holts. They carry much more lower end stuff than Holts and in some stores carry just as a high end merchandise. The difference is Holts is a high end department store and carries majority luxury items and Nordstroms merchandise is usually mid-high but can vary dramatically depending on location. What I was trying to point out is that Nordstrom will want to have some exclusivity in the market... meaning they might have to fight Holts for some desired high end brands such as Chanel, Gucci and Prada and due to the companies size and strong relationships from the US they are more likely to win.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 8:39 AM

i got what your saying - it will be interesting to see which one we get here - i know the downtown seattle store compared to the bellevue store are quite different one is more like bloomingdales and the other is more like neiman marcus

many people complain about the selection at holt renfrew but they are tied into selfridges which has some clout as well in the fashion world

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:56 PM

Let's start a Sears Site FANTASY THREAD. (It couldn' hurt)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
my korean friend said holt renfrew is a real dept store to him like back in korea, but small, he said sears and the bay are not dept stores he is used to and doesn't think of them the same way
And this is relevant in a Canadian context how? We're doing it wrong?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Let's start a Sears Site FANTASY THREAD. (It couldn' hurt)
I'm not sure the words Sears and Fantasy belong together in the same thread.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm not sure the words Sears and Fantasy belong together in the same thread.

You're right! That's a bit like apples and shoe-polish.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:40 AM

Interesting article in the Vancouver Sun about the possibilities for redevelopment of the site! Hopefully no one has previously posted this.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...884/story.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van23H View Post
Interesting article in the Vancouver Sun about the possibilities for redevelopment of the site! Hopefully no one has previously posted this.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...884/story.html

Interesting article. I like the idea of a "40 to 50 storey 'trophy' officer tower"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver