HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:33 PM

Congrats to LA! They have the existing infrastructure and facilities to host the games with little to no risk.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:51 PM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Are you really, really sure you want to host the Olympics?

https://supermouse.blog/2016/08/10/the-olympic-chalice/
Given LA's historically successful economic track record with hosting, the deal they struck subsidizing this one, and the fact that their proposal doesn't require the expensive construction of new venues? Yes. I think LA is pretty sure that they want to host.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:

We; Los Angeles, are very sure we want to host and that it will be a great event that provides benefits to the city. We remember 1984. We already have everything built and the more years go by the more proposals for private investment roll in making the city grander!! To live in LA right now and experience the transformation over the past 10 years is amazing; we are firing on all cylinders. WE GOOD!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:

YEAH, bring it on!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
No other city in the country wanted this, Boston ran them out of town and the committee had to beg for a US host city. This is more like a burden than a win.
Yea, this isn't true at all. NYC and Chicago tried very hard on their bids a few years ago.

The truth is most cities don't have the resources to pull it off.

LA is built to handle this event. It is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This is part of the role of Los Angeles... LA seems to get the olympics when no other city wants them, then transforms how they operate and it creates momentum for future bids... we are the rescue city. Look at the history of 1932 and 1984 bids.

By the way... the Olympic village concept began in 1932 LA olympics. Judging by the way our college and university system is structured that we as Americans; especially Angelenos, will always have an upper hand in that the Olympic village will always be ready, seeing as how we have major universities with dormitories that are empty during the summer. I'm not sure of many countries/cities Outside of America that will always have this part handled without constructing a huge new village every time.

LA is built for the Olympics.

.... oh, one more thing, the possible arrival of a new clippers arena in Inglewood may actually merit creating a new full fledged Inglewood sports park in the revised 2028 plan.
That's the thing. LA never really ASKS for it. It doesn't need it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
NYC and Chicago tried very hard on their bids a few years ago.
chicago did try very hard on its bid years ago, but after the way the voting went down, and the sense that the IOC deck was stacked for Rio right from the very start of the process, left a very sour taste in this town for the olympics.

my guess is that chicago won't ever bother to bid for the games again in my lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No other city in the country wanted this, Boston ran them out of town and the committee had to beg for a US host city. This is more like a burden than a win.
Every US city wants the Olympics but they simply don't have the resources or infrastructure to pull it off. If the Olympics were low cost or free, cities would be lining up.

LA is built for major events, no other city has hosted more major sporting events than LA. This city can host the Olympics whenever. Today, yesterday, 11 years from now, it doesn't matter.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:41 PM
Ascension

Quote:

Los Angeles can host the Olympics today. Not even Paris can say that.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago did try very hard on its bid years ago, but after the way the voting went down, and the sense that the IOC deck was stacked for Rio right from the very start of the process, left a very sour taste in this town for the olympics.

my guess is that chicago won't ever bother to bid for the games again in my lifetime.
I remember.
I was there at the time. I thought it was going to be great for Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Every US city wants the Olympics but they simply don't have the resources or infrastructure to pull it off. If the Olympics were low cost or free, cities would be lining up.
This is a total lie, nobody in the US wants to host the Olympics for congestion alone, no one in this country is impressed with the concept anymore, it's a dated relic, even average viewership is old. New York has always had very large groups and powerful people vehemently against it, if they honestly wanted it they could have easily out bid a lower tier city like LA but that didn't happen and the committee was desperate.

Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Except for the athletes accommodation, Paris could host the Olympics today.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I remember.
I was there at the time. I thought it was going to be great for Chicago.
Thank god Chicago didn't, it only would have emphasized and broadcasted the city's problems to the world. Chicago is looking at Rio right now and thanking their lucky stars.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
This is a total lie, nobody in the US wants to host the Olympics for congestion alone, no one in this country is impressed with the concept anymore, it's a dated relic, even average viewership is old. New York has always had very large groups and powerful people vehemently against it, if they honestly wanted it they could have easily out bid a lower tier city like LA but that didn't happen and the committee was desperate.
Where is your proof no other city wants it? I remember DC/Baltimore trying to get plans together. The Bay Area. Philadelphia.

I'm pretty sure every big city in America has plans/dreams should it ever come to them.

A lower tier city haha. Like LA is Dallas or something.

Easily out bid LA is hilarious too.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:18 PM
Ascension

Hell I remember Tulsa, Oklahoma quietly speaking about an Olympic bid in 2012.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:04 AM
Paramoderator

So Los Angeles essentially gets $2 Billion to put towards the Olympics, which are expected to cost 500 million? Does that mean we get 1.5 Billion to put towards other projects around the city? This is an incredible boon to Los Angeles.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Every US city wishes they could have it but they can't. This would be a financial loser for any other city because they simple do not have the sports facilities and infrastructure LA has. LA has was built for. No other city can compete. This is going to be huge for the city. I guarantee it will be the most profitable of all time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:32 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Sour grapes!?

Dated relic, except our last shot you had almost every major US city vying for it. I thought San Francisco would be great, Dallas wanted it, New York, Chicago, Houston, Boston.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:34 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post

Video Link
Melbourne could too - the facilties from the 2006 Commonwealth Games are still there/in-use/not-a-white-elephant, might need a few alterations (like putting the temporary stands back up at the aquatics centre, reconfiguring the MCG to put the aths track back in) but other than that the only thing that would probably need a new build is an athlete's village.

And congratulations to Los Angeles!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:35 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
This is exactly where the Olympics should always be. University campuses and existing facilities. Cities around the world shell out billions to impress a bunch of self important douchebags from the IOC. Let them stay in dorms. Let them play at colleges.

I hope every future bid city follows LAs lead as far as focusing on existing facilities. If only to spite the IOC. lol

At the same time, one has to wonder how much longer the Olympics will be around...

https://newrepublic.com/article/1360...st-millennials
I actually would advocate a rotation of major cities that are set up for this, where you might have LA get the games every 20 years or so, it would incentivize the maintenance of the facilities. You could even have wild card years, but maybe a handful of cities that are most capable are regulars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions