HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 9:30 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

(SA) Haven for Hope - Homeless Campus - Renderings and Information

Construction on this will begin Monday and the entire campus should be complete by the fall of next year with the first phase being ready by this winter. The campus is designed to help alleviate homelessness in San Antonio by not only providing shelter and food but also medical assistance and job and life skills training. No other homeless shelter/campus like this exists in Texas.
  • Size: 22-acres and nearly 1,000 beds

Looking Northwest

Looking Southeast

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 10, 2008 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
BANNED

Excellent. SA will now be a "destination city" for the homeless. I am undecided about whether this is good or bad for the city. But it is definitely good for the homeless.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 2:50 PM

IMO, it's a good thing. I seriously doubt these people chose to be homeless.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 7:01 PM
Meh

I disagree that it would turn San Antonio into a destination city for the homeless. They said the same thing about Austin's Arch Center when it was built. If anything I've noticed a decrease in the homeless population in Downtown Austin since it was built. That's either because they're getting some help and are getting jobs and getting off the streets, or they're simply off the streets and staying at the center. Whatever it is it's a good thing for both the homeless and the city and downtown's appearance.

I remember walking around Downtown San Antonio and seeing homeless people at a few notorious locations such as Travis Park and the greyhound bus station. That is a real turn off to tourists who are weary about them for safety reasons and not wanting to be begged for change. So having a place for them to get them off the streets, makes the streets safer and more friendly to tourists, but it also improves the homeless people's lives and gives them resources for getting back on their feet.

You can't simply throw them out of town because you dislike them. Unfortunately homelessness is a part of the urban environment.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio