HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 7:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Miami just had a competition for a similar downtown landmark as that being considered for the WTC site:

http://dawntown.org/2013/05/08/landm...ers-announced/
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but that is a design competition. None of the submissions need to be remotely feasible, either from an engineering or financial perspective.

The WTC was an RFP, which means all the entries need to have a business plan as well as a design. I definitely think we could have gotten better submissions, but that's the city's fault for not publicizing the RFP properly. Taking out a major ad in the Wall Street Journal would probably have done the trick, and gotten more sophisticated entries from coastal developers.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but that is a design competition. None of the submissions need to be remotely feasible, either from an engineering or financial perspective.
You are preaching to the choir ... but that does not make you any less right!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 3:54 AM

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

Odyssey Records on Canal Street to shut its doors, after more than 30 years in business

Well? Any word on what is going in this place? This is part of the really dumpy side of Canal that I am embarrassed out-of-towners see.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 7:34 PM

Lakefront Airport will be getting a commercial carrier for the first time in decades. A startup based out of Memphis called Southern Airways Express flying small planes (10 seaters) to Memphis, Oxford, Gulf Shores, Destin, and Panama City. I think the beach routes will do well during the peak season. No TSA and free parking are big selling points.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/22...l-destinations

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:35 PM
TL;DR

Maybe this might work. I don't know. The problem is that it's difficult to get around in any of those cities once you land, with inadequate public transportation and very few if any taxicabs. You'd probably need to rely on someone picking you up.

I like the idea of small-capacity flights, though. If they're price-competitive with Amtrak, this might be a lower-cost alternative to restoring the eastern leg of the Sunset Limited. It could even tie into the Amtrak system, since the Crescent runs right past Lakefront Airport and a small platform could be set up for transfers.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:26 PM
-

Smile

Id like everyones help here if they can take the time to write the city council that they support my project on Diamond Street id really appreciate it.

Here is a sample letter if that helps anyone:

I have the support of the HDLC but one neighbor has appealed that decision to the city council. So Id like to have as much support as I can to send a message about development and that this city is ready to move forward.

Dear Councilmembers Cantrell and Head:

My name is ( ) and I live at ( ) and I work in the Warehouse District, near the property located at 329 N. Diamond St. and 320 St. Joseph St. (Diamond Street Lofts).
There are two appeals of the CBD HDLC's April 10th decision to conceptually approve the Diamond Street Lofts that are scheduled for the Council's consideration on May 16, 2013.
I am writing this email to let you know that I support the project.
The project will replace two rundown, unoccupied warehouses with much-needed residential housing for the area and commercial activity on the first floor. The project will also add architectural interest on the streets where it will sit. I have no issue with the penthouse size, location or design.
I support the Diamond Street Lofts project by Landcraft, LLC. Please do not overturn the decision by the CBD HDLC for conceptual approval of the project.
Thank you for your consideration. If you have questions, I can be reached at( ).

If you live or work in the area please indicate in the letter that you do, but even if you dont, more support is always appreciated.

Here are the five email addresses to send to:
lcantrell@nola.gov
(cc: bplener@nola.gov)

shead@nola.gov
(cc: jbrochelle@nola.gov)

Dscontrino@landcrafthomes.com

Thanks for any help and support guys!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:09 AM

The Lakefront news is exciting...but I think everyone here knew I was going to say that. I had actually wondered about the possibility of a north shore airport having minor commercial flights... like Slidell having flights to Atlanta. Can't imagine MSY being happy about that though.

So Landcraft is your company, Tennis? I saw the model house on Canal... that bedroom/bathroom is awesome.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 1:42 PM
-

Appreciate that !

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 5:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
The Lakefront news is exciting...but I think everyone here knew I was going to say that. I had actually wondered about the possibility of a north shore airport having minor commercial flights... like Slidell having flights to Atlanta. Can't imagine MSY being happy about that though.

So Landcraft is your company, Tennis? I saw the model house on Canal... that bedroom/bathroom is awesome.
I think this service seems like a neat deal. My only question would be the car service once there. It does say they will have planeside car service so that will be interesting.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:46 PM

Looks like the VCPORA folks are at it again with Habana Outpost...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:42 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
Looks like the VCPORA folks are at it again with Habana Outpost...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2
Im going to this next meeting to show support if I can.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I think this service seems like a neat deal. My only question would be the car service once there. It does say they will have planeside car service so that will be interesting.
The panama city airport (NW Florida Beaches Int'l) has rental car services.

The others- Oxford, Destin, Gulf Shores, appear to be GA airports. Would imagine that at least destin and oxford have rental car services for the locals, though, and maybe Enterprise or something that would be willing to drive to the airport and would be thrilled about an extra 5-10 rentals a day.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 8:09 AM

I'm hoping for additional service to regional cities down the road. MSY is losing service to Birmingham in a couple of weeks as WN seriously draws down it's Birmingham operation. I think a flight there would do well. Flights to Shreveport and Lake Charles would probably also do well.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I dunnnoo...neat idea, but things like Gulf Shores, Destin, etc would only work for people who have a condo or full setup at the destination and maybe even a second car there so that they just need a cab to and from the airport.

Otherwise it'd be $300 roundtrip for a couple to gulf shores, rent a car for a few days, and then you dont have your ice chest, beach chairs, etc.

Anyway, just my thought that its a limited market and expensive if its only going to save you 45 minutes over driving...

As for Habana Outpost....of all the French Quarter groups VCPORA is geeeenerally the most unreasonable.... Not sure I can stick my head out to support the Outpost in a public meeting (but I do)....give me a few things to wrap some pending stuff up down there before I turn the dumb public against me

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
The panama city airport (NW Florida Beaches Int'l) has rental car services.

The others- Oxford, Destin, Gulf Shores, appear to be GA airports. Would imagine that at least destin and oxford have rental car services for the locals, though, and maybe Enterprise or something that would be willing to drive to the airport and would be thrilled about an extra 5-10 rentals a day.
Have flown into Oxford and they do have rental cars available at the airport. On Ole Miss game weekends, it is pretty much impossible to get one though. Pretty easy to get a cab there as well and it's less than a 5 minute drive to main part of town.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:28 PM

Seriously, what is VCPORA's deal? Rarely do they even have a valid argument about whatever is going on.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:39 PM

Outlet Collection @ Riverwalk

This article says Outlet Collection is almost 100% leased with more than 100 tenants; current tenants should be out by the end of the month; Hughes Corp. may consider building a hotel and/or condominiums onsite; and they should be making an announcement in the next few days.

Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:
In the next few days, look for a public announcement by the Hughes Corporation that Riverwalk is almost 100 percent leased with scores of stores that have never before been represented in New Orleans or in Louisiana or in the Gulf South. The few remaining tenants of the old Riverwalk should be moving out by the end of this month and renovations will begin.
http://uptownmessenger.com/2013/05/a...for-retailers/

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 8:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
This article says Outlet Collection is almost 100% leased with more than 100 tenants; current tenants should be out by the end of the month; Hughes Corp. may consider building a hotel and/or condominiums onsite; and they should be making an announcement in the next few days.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://uptownmessenger.com/2013/05/a...for-retailers/

Soon enough! Think people will be pleased.

Won my vote today so thanks for the support from some of you on here. Always appreciate it.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 8:45 PM

I am a long-time fan of New Orleans and will be moving to the city later this year. Over the last few months I've been keeping up with some of the development news and I'm happy to see this forum has lots of people who post regularly. A few of my thoughts on recent subjects:

For the World Trade Center/Canal Street redevelopment, I think the W proposal is the way to go.

First of all the WTC Building is a unique place with a lot of history and some architectural significance. If it can be renovated into a functional space that is a much better option than tearing it down, especially when the only "plan" to replace it is a vague idea of building some kind of "iconic" monument or structure. IMO it would be tough to build something that would actually get foot traffic down there, and taking away the building could very possibly result in a dead zone. Much better to keep the building and keep the feet, eyes, and dollars in the area. Also the W proposal uses mostly private funds and is more grounded in reality.

I like some of the ideas in Burch's proposal (keeping some space to be used for consulates, opening up the lobby, the outside project), but his proposal seems pretty short on specifics and I'm not sure if it actually attainable.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the ferry service from Canal to Algiers will end? I like the ferries and think they provide some needed connectivity with the other side of the river. The current ferry building is a bit of an eyesore, but the underlying service itself has some value IMO.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Soon enough! Think people will be pleased.

Won my vote today so thanks for the support from some of you on here. Always appreciate it.
Congrats. I sent an e-mail to Head late last night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations