HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:24 PM

Earl's on Main

Is it possible that Earl's on Main could abandon its current location to become part of the development at 300 Main - the the 4 story building connecting 300 and 360 Main? This would then free up the current site for a more appropriate development.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Is it possible that Earl's on Main could abandon its current location to become part of the development at 300 Main - the the 4 story building connecting 300 and 360 Main? This would then free up the current site for a more appropriate development.
IMO it's very unlikely that Earls would walk away from their location at Main and York given that their free parking lot gives them a pretty big leg up on the downtown casual dining competition.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:15 PM

^^ Agreed, parking is key for Earl's. They could move to 300 Main and setup parking in the underground lot. That said pretty sure they own their current building and parking lot so the lease cost at 300 Main would have to be very attractive.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:22 PM

^ Isn't Joeys sort of but not really a corporate sibling? Maybe they end up in there just to prevent a real competitor from setting up and taking a bite out of Earls business.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:15 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Isn't Joeys sort of but not really a corporate sibling? Maybe they end up in there just to prevent a real competitor from setting up and taking a bite out of Earls business.
They once were corporate siblings, but IIRC, Earls and Joeys are now fully separate, and very much in competition with each other.

That said, Joeys could coexist with Earls at that location without issue.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
^ That's actually not bad... better that the current setup remains than a new even worse one that would be locked in for decades to come. It's a fairly attractive parcel of land... it's not hard to imagine a developer buying it to build something.

In not too long that building will be pushing 40 years old and I'm sure Earls management would be willing to consider offers.
It might seem like a nice piece, but access is poor (in particular the u-turn off main and winter months). Earl's reputation bypasses a clear access problem, but anyone else? Who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
That would be sweet as hell!
Quote:
IMO it's very unlikely that Earls would walk away from their location at Main and York given that their free parking lot gives them a pretty big leg up on the downtown casual dining competition.
I'm pretty sure the free parking would be quickly swept aside for the new construction, heated/indoor parking, proximity to all towers and indoor accessibility year round (especially to jets games).

The main concern must be the ownership of their current land, and desire to create value out of something they own. Comparing both locations, 300 is simply a lot better.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:41 PM

I hope cactus club takes that location would be perfect location

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:09 PM

Tried the White Star for the first time this week. What a great addition to the graham street strip!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:58 PM

Actually somewhat surprised how much the old Albert St location for White Star was actually holding them back. Considering they were busy lots of days there to see what the crowds now is definitely a shock.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:54 PM

What's happening with Barley Bros downtown location?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
I hope cactus club takes that location would be perfect location
That would be best case scenario, to introduce a highly regarded national chain to Winnipe at 300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
What's happening with Barley Bros downtown location?
There is one planned? That makes me happy!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Actually somewhat surprised how much the old Albert St location for White Star was actually holding them back. Considering they were busy lots of days there to see what the crowds now is definitely a shock.
Speaking of which, this does NOT look inviting; how cold and, well, sad. The interior is whimsical and charming. Just love the "drywall" adorning the exterior.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:28 PM

I like the exterior. The owner mentioned that they have a sign coming. I honestly didn't even notice they were missing one. I was too excited to get inside after reading the menu online.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:38 PM
BANNED

The sign could make a big difference.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:39 PM

^ With a sign it'll look better. The recent makeover of that building has approved its appearance dramatically over the 70s-shabby that it used to be. Although I'd still love to see the whole building get replaced with something better than a squat one storey building.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Totally agree.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:15 PM

anyone tried Boucher Bouchee on Marion and Tache? went there once and thought it was pretty average, although it is neat to see what they did to the place. went there again this week and had maybe the best pasta dish I have ever had (the pesto linguine). they change the menu every week which kind of makes me nervous as my experience has been hit and miss..

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:19 PM

^ I had a reservation there for last weekend but I ended up cancelling in favour of another place in St. Boniface, In Ferno's, instead... 100% likelihood of a great meal there

I will get around to Boucher Bouchee one of these days... it looks really busy whenever I go by.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
^ I had a reservation there for last weekend but I ended up cancelling in favour of another place in St. Boniface, In Ferno's, instead... 100% likelihood of a great meal there

I will get around to Boucher Bouchee one of these days... it looks really busy whenever I go by.
love infernos. that in house made burger is sooo good.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:08 PM

Earls owns the building, the land, and the parking lot. They've been there almost 30 years - so everything is more than paid off and they have no rent. No way they move across the street to "free up" their own land for development. They're not in the urban planning business.

Earls and Joey were never corporately related. The Earls founder has 2 sons - one runs Earls, the other started Joey (originally Joey Tomato's). Owned by the same family, but different companies.

Earls is a part owner of Cactus Club - unlikely we'll see one (downtown) here for years, if ever. The reason Saskatoon has one is because the Earls there is still franchised, one of the few left. One of the original founders of Cactus Club was bought out, and then founded Browns Social House.

The Centrepoint Browns is the same franchisee as the 2 existing - pretty sure they're just not making as much money as they thought, so probably can't afford to pay all the construction at once, unfortunately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan