HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
To me it does. Because:

Bigger river. Bigger bridges. Trolly buses (although I don't remember seeing them last time I was there - are they gone?). The University seems more integrated with the city. More main streets.

Just the whole vibe thing I guess. Or maybe it's just because I'm use to Calgary and Edmonton is different.
The trolley buses are gone now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:55 PM

Victoria - historic (for a western city), beautiful harbour, too touristy, lovely natural environment, great museums/attractions

Vancouver - ultra-modern, cosmopolitan, expensive, urban, green, homeless people, condos, condos, condos

Abbotsford - That place I've flown into or driven through on my way somewhere else many times

Kelowna - hot, never-ending sprawl along the lake

Edmonton - surprisingly diverse, increasingly confident in itself, the loser mentality still too prevalent from locals

Calgary - dynamic, ambitious, very clean

Saskatoon - a city that increasingly wants to make itself into Calgary

Regina - too small, big box stores a main local attraction, the worst ghetto in the country

Winnipeg - a city that you know was once more prominent nationally than it is today

Hamilton - the smell of rotten eggs from the QEW, the gritty neighbourhoods around the football stadium

Niagara Falls - Possibly the tackiest place in the world

Toronto - freeways, cosmopolitan centre, office towers, the PATH system

Ottawa - very clean, very proper, every tourist attraction seems to be within walking distance of the Hill

Montreal - the smell of good food, crazy cab drivers, cultural capital, architecture, subway, underground city, neighbourhoods, feels like the biggest city to me

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
The new sterile 'dentist office' Devonion Gardens.
Yes. I miss the old ones too but I'm not sure visitors would feel the same. The new ones seem more touristy I guess in that it's easier to see all of it at once and there's less need to explore (which is my main complaint).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:22 PM
Montérégien

Very interesting thread indeed, as it is a recurrent matter in various discussions here. I love that it hasn't become a pissing contest yet. Let's keep it this way

So let's go with the cities I've visited / There is a gap in the Prairies obviously, as I alway flew over them... Project for the future I guess!

From East to West / WARNING : subjective material below. Thin-skinned people : back off please

St. John's | Attractive, colourful, vivante, kind of folkloric, best pub scene, mysterious, makes me want to wander and discover more of it (by foot mostly)... It's kind of a nest of life amongst surreal, magnificient yet harsh landscape (I've seen icebergs - quite a surprise for a Montérégien such as myself).

Halifax | Feels international, important harbour ambiance (caractère portuaire très prononcé, qui m'a rappelé certains secteurs de Boston et Portland), sea smell and seagulls, surprisingly small as it feels way bigger than it actually is... Halifax has this capital city vibe; rich, cultural, old and new... My very first impression from the citadel was that it felt a bit scandinavian (it didn't last long and was mostly due to the architecture of St. Paul's steeple).

Moncton | Felt small, new and quite horizontal... More like a town than a city. However, despite its so-so character (my sole opinion here), we manage to feel that the ocean isn't that far away; maybe it's the smell, maybe it's the apparent joy that I felt from Monctoners. Loved the light and the strands.

Saguenay | Surprisingly alive and impressively urban for its location. The warmth of the population contrasted with the fjord and the landscapes.

Québec | The closest to Europe I've ever felt in North America. The inner neighbourhoods are human-scaled and very intimate. A mix between tradition and innovation. Foody, quite trendy, cultural and a bit snobbish. It has this big city feel and bones (for North America) that are reversely considered to the ambiance of a big provincial town by Europeans. It simply is an amazing place (despite the galloping sprawl).

Sherbrooke | Exhausting, hilly, surprisingly small and sprawly. Students everywhere - party vibe downtown.

Trois-Rivières | A rough diamond. Torn up between its industrial past and its cultural renewal. I got a proletary vibe that Sherbrooke, for example, doesn't seem to have, at least downtown.

Montréal | I actually am biased on this one, as I've lived there for 10 years. However as a néo-montréalais, I've alway found that city extraordinary, dense but very liveable, walkable, sunny, tense especially around the east/west divide, intercultural, worldly and classy. You feel the history and the former importance and past glory. One thing which struck me above all else is how Montreal is in fact a collection of villages -each with its very own vibrant heart and monumental church- that grew into each other.

Ottawa | Very walkable and friendly, even when you speak French , cultural but too tidy and organized. As a francophone I was quite shocked that the parliement was turning its back to French Canada when I first visited.

Gatineau | Felt like a former gem that was destroyed - post-war feel especially on Hull island. I felt bad.

Kingston | A kind of epitome of the canadian town. Downtown and the old neighbourhoods are amazing, and you get this impression of importance.

Oshawa | Endless sprawl and jammed highways. Sea of beige cladding. Didn't make a strong impression to me. Maybe it's liveable, but I wouldn't bother to try to know...

Toronto | Eclectic, young, vibrant, windy, cosmopolitan, hard-trying, segregated and ambitious metropolis where everything seems possible (but I was surprised to be able to find myself surrounded by sfhs quickly outside the core). Le contraire de Montréal : feels like a provincial town that quickly grew into an alpha city and tries hard to adapt itself to its newfound glory.

Hamilton | The best testimonial to the canadian industrial history with everything that comes with it (architecture, history, urban forms and scales), unfortunately badly treated. Edgy city on the path to renewal.

St. Catharines | -_-

Calgary | Ambitious and VERY proud of itself. A nice balance between nature and urbanity. It also felt american to me (Single-family housing neighbourhoods where the garage seems to be bigger than the actual house, car and power center culture, etc.) Distant people (for example that don't kiss on the cheeks or really hug when they first meet... ça me rend mal à l'aise lorsque vient le temps d'interagir).

Vancouver | Felt foreign to me (for example, Calgary didn't) for whatever reason. A kind of San Francisco of the north especially because of the geography and the natural light. Soft, apparently liveable, artsy, laid-back and sporty...

Victoria | Charming, classy, confortable, well-scaled and very friendly city that I don't want to leave everytime I go.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:25 PM

Interesting comments

Kingston - Historic (For Canada)..Felt like a more important place then expected.
Felt that awkward sense of "Am I in a city or a town?'

Sudbury - Run down in a Niagara Falls in the off season, or random towns in up-state NY sense, yet busy hub for it's size at the same token. Just like Kingston, I felt that awkward sense of "Am I in a city or a town?'

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:31 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Vancouver | Felt foreign to me (for example, Calgary didn't) for whatever reason.
I find that an interesting comment. Before leaving for Quebec City last week (my first ever visit there) my expectation was that it was going to feel foreign.

But even with the language difference, it didn't really. Most definitely different than Calgary, but not foreign.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:35 PM

Totally depends on the time of day, neighbourhood, etc. All Canadian cities have these vibes in varying shades depending how and where you visit.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal: sexy MILF, devil-may-care, boisterous, self-absorbed, loud, warm, genuine, rude, reckless, mañana, irresponsible, stylish, creative, mature
That is exactly what I felt when I was in there last month.

God-damn those Sexy MILFs! LOL!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting comments

Kingston - Historic (For Canada)..Felt like a more important place then expected.
Felt that awkward sense of "Am I in a city or a town?'

Sudbury - Run down in a Niagara Falls in the off season, or random towns in up-state NY sense, yet busy hub for it's size at the same token. Just like Kingston, I felt that awkward sense of "Am I in a city or a town?'
I was in both Saguenay, QC and Sudbury, ON during the Summer and feel that there are many similarities between the two cities.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:42 PM

I'd second the Kingston opinions here. When I first moved here, the first thing I noticed was how obvious it is that the city was a lot more important in the past than it is today.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
St. John's | Attractive, colourful, vivante, kind of folkloric, best pub scene, mysterious, makes me want to wander and discover more of it (by foot mostly)... It's kind of a nest of life amongst surreal, magnificient yet harsh landscape (I've seen icebergs - quite a surprise for a Montérégien such as myself).

Vancouver | Felt foreign to me (for example, Calgary didn't) for whatever reason. A kind of San Francisco of the north especially because of the geography and the natural light. Soft, apparently liveable, artsy, laid-back and sporty...
Glad you seem to have enjoyed it here. Additional exploration may not be necessary, though - our core is very small. All you probably missed are suburbia and the variety of rowhouse districts (poor, industrial, hipster, touristy, etc.), but they're not dramatically different than the ones downtown, so meh.

Agreed regarding Vancouver feeling so foreign, and I wasn't expecting that from an anglophone city.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:32 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
St. Catharines | -_-
Very accurate.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:41 PM

Love this thread! I'll go from West to East, omitting cities I haven't been to since childhood (ie Victoria and Regina). Also omitting Calgary and Edmonton because there's too much bias.

Vancouver -- racially tense, clean, urbane, very dense; compact; efficient, older by Western standards, extremely lush, fading countercultural element, foreign, outdoorsy, pretty, vain

Kelowna -- felt like Utah or Arizona but Canadianized, sprawly, vapid, glossy, very hot, lush yet arid

Saskatoon -- used to be more like Edmonton but now more like Calgary, enthusiastic, go-getter, vibrant, fairly artsy, well-utilized downtown

Winnipeg -- downtrodden, grungy, hella sketchy, has-been, friendly, terrible infrastructure, architectural gold mine, riddled with character, surprisingly French, slower paced, staid, very beige downtown

Niagara Falls -- touristy hell hole, sad downtown

Toronto -- the city, immensely diverse, bustling, energetic, dynamic, towers everywhere, construction everywhere, congested, hodgepodge vernacular, old yet youthful, arrogant, a city whose best days are yet to come, intellectual, options galore

Ottawa -- only superficially bilingual, walkable, slow-paced, unionized labour, nondescript, amazing museums filled with accomplishments from afar, culturally dull

Montreal -- industrial, gritty, cultured, pretentious, full of character, foreign within the Canadian context, beautiful, historic, very artsy, lots of graffiti, spiral staircases, distinctive, timelessly fashionable, weirdly bilingual, past-its-prime, grandiose, sexy, great food

Saint John -- very American, gritty, jaw-dropping architecture, industrious, historic, friendly, grandiose

Moncton -- generic, optimistic, Alberta-in-New-Brunswick, new, suburban

Charlottetown -- historic, too polished, friendly, wealthy, way too touristy

Halifax -- clean, historic, lots of character, stupidly pretentious, overwhelmingly touristy, very dynamic for the region, distinctive, stunning, moody, awesome old neighbourhoods, fairly spread out, very educated, artsy

Sydney -- grungy, down-on-its-luck, ridiculously friendly, endless character neighbourhoods, somewhat artsy

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 11:57 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Agreed regarding Vancouver feeling so foreign, and I wasn't expecting that from an anglophone city.
Huge parts of the city have felt foreign to me since roughly 2005 and I've lived 29 of my 36 years in Vancouver. 1980s/90s Vancouver was much more stereotypically Canadian.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 12:24 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

East to West:

Montreal: has the things I like from every other city I've seen. Also cool brutalism.
Gatineau: Various bits that seem like they could make a decent city, but have been sliced and diced by urban 'renewal' and other schemes.
Ottawa: Clean and acceptable at pretty much everything.
Toronto: Big, but still dealing with growing pains.
Niagara Falls: Kind of broken.
St. Catherines: No. If you value your sanity, then no. (Except Port Dalhousie, that's not bad. Though they might have demolished it all?)
Hamilton: Trudging along. Not great at many things, but not as bad as most people think, and definitely not as bad as locals tend to think. (Needs to clean up though.)
Thunder Bay: Confused. A lot of folks see it as terrible, but a solid chunk see it as the best thing ever too. The latter seem to run a lot of things and refuse to take any advice. Be prepared for frustration. Also some bits are quite sketchy.
Winnipeg: Impressive architecture and lots of history. Kind of run down though.
Regina: More solid that I had expected. Has some similarities to Ottawa.
Saskatoon: Felt weirdly like Hamilton and Thunder Bay both (especially the latter). Which is odd with it being a landlocked Prairie city and them both being ports.
Edmonton: Like Winnipeg's more modern twin. If you're inside and can't see the weather it will feel like winter.
Calgary: A more ambitious and modern (and Anglophone) Ottawa. With hills. The hills are nice. The mountains on the horizon are nice too.
Vancouver: If you took what made Toronto different from other Ontario cities and distilled that into it's own city you would have Vancouver.
Victoria: Chill and sunny. Suprising levels of oomph for the size.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 12:56 AM

The fact that most posts don't include Regina and Saskatoon is probably the best description of Regina and Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:57 AM

From what I've seen on my visits to other Canadian cities:

Calgary: My current hometown. I feel like people here are quite proud of the city, and have a really optimistic and can-do attitude. I might be biased on this, but I feel like the people here are very friendly (i.e. a smile or a "hello" when walking by you, etc.) Everyone seems connected to the outdoors in some ways, possibly because of our proximity to the mountains. Hospitable and welcoming.

Edmonton: Feels like it's finding it's place, trying to decide what kind of city it wants to be. Very modern and growing, for example the brand new ICE district, etc. Again, I felt that people were very proud of Edmonton

Fort McMurray: Used to live here. Strong and resilient people, hardworking people, very can-do attitude toward everything.

Toronto: To me, Toronto felt like the cosmopolitan heart of the country, very much had a big-city feel. Almost felt American to me for whatever reason

Ottawa: Clean and beautiful. I found the people here to be quite modest, not sure if anyone else has felt that?

Montreal: Very multicultural, and I was quite impressed by the amount of bilingualism in Montreal, how somehow everyone seems to know both French and English! Personally I found them to be quite polite, well-mannered.

Quebec City: Felt like Europe in Canada. Charming, elegant, felt like France in almost every way possible.

Vancouver: Absolutely beautiful city, people were friendly, the city felt more connected to nature than any other city I think I've ever been to. People here seem to really enjoy the outdoors. In the denser areas, feels lively and has a big-city feel.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 2:04 AM

My impression of CalgaryCheese is that he finds most people in general to be quite friendly.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 3:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Vancouver -- racially tense, clean, urbane, very dense; compact; efficient, older by Western standards, extremely lush, fading countercultural element, foreign, outdoorsy, pretty, vain
You felt a racially-tense vibe in Vancouver? I know this sort of thing is portrayed in the media with the whole China/foreign investment issues, but you actually felt like people were tense with each other based on their ethnic make up? Interesting. I've never experienced any sort of racially-motivated outbursts in all my time there. What did you experience? Just curious.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 4:55 AM

For the places I've spent enough time to comment on... I tend to personify these things so it's not to say that's what the residents are like...but if I could describe the overall personality...

Halifax - Worn,kind, hopeful, regionally confident, students, pronounced struggle between history and future. A windburned but beautiful Atlantic girl trying to decide if she should move to the big city, or if doing so would mean giving up what makes her who she is.

Montreal - Swagger, aloof, wise - yet still immature, heavy, settled, inviting yet a bit harsh. A blunt but sexy cougar in furs, she never will confess if they are real though... Inspires love and/or fear in most.

Winnipeg - Tired, quirky, content, unsure, creative. The slightly crazy girl that's off in the corner doing cool things that the rest don't notice. Wouldn't mind being recognized...but mostly gets picked on so just does her own thing.

Calgary - Protestant work ethic, clean, brash, polished, aspirational, competitive. The genuinely nice hot guy showing off his shiny car, but comes across a bit weird and nobody can decide if he's actually a douche.

Edmonton - See Winnipeg, but a bit different. He's a bit more confident than that quirky girl in the corner in some ways but can't figure out if he wants to hang with the cool kids or just keep working on his sketch book in his ugly clothes.

Vancouver - Polished, yoga, vain (but perhaps for good reason), seductive. The very fit and good looking girl - did she mention she's a vegan?

Victoria - Stoic, older, an odd mix of stick-in-the-mud yet oddly progressive. The lady at the old folks home organizing bible studies, but also sets up late night orgies in the cafeteria. She'll brag about either depending on who she is talking to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada