HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:45 PM

I wish the garage was wrapped on all sides, but at least the unwrapped side is along the interior street.

And that pool courtyard with the Officers' Quarters looks kinda cool.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:42 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has some new information about the replacement development for the "Garden Block" on the North Side. The new development (post demolition of the three historic buildings) will be a five-story, 50-unit apartment building - a downgrade from the eight story, 72-unit building originally proposed. TREK Development believes that because the height is identical to the Alphabet City building on the opposite corner, it will get easy approval based upon contextual height.

The article provides two images. The ground-floor plan is interesting. It appears they hope to merge the Garden Theater itself will the new development, breaking up the current open space into a mixture of two commercial spaces (one large and one very small) along with it acting as the grand entrance for the apartment building. It also appears there's more ground-level retail than I recall from the original plan, which is a good thing in an under-retailed portion of the city.

The rendering itself is kinda genetic, but anything is better than the status quo, so I'm not complaining.

The two historic storefronts along Federal Street were saved, and will have retail space below, and six apartments on the upper floors.
Am I looking at this correctly? It looks like the Garden Theater entrance will serve as the main entrance into this building. The lobby/lounge is essentially away from the main entry which would allow for the seating to be arranged along the windows.

I like this layout. Yes, it is a shame those buildings cannot be saved, but I see a couple of things that were likely factors. One is uneven floor heights between the three buildings, another is cost to rehabilitate these buildings. All three look like they were in dire need to not just be renovated but to be brought up to code. The cost to do so likely exceeded that of demolition.

The architectural style that is replacing these does seem to reflect common structures erected in the 1920s or 1930s. I like they're looking to keep the two storefronts along Federal Street.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:54 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

The rendering itself is kinda genetic, but anything is better than the status quo, so I'm not complaining.

The two historic storefronts along Federal Street were saved, and will have retail space below, and six apartments on the upper floors.
I understand that there was a lot of pressure to reduce the overall size of this project but I wonder why they changed the style and materials? I really loved the first Trek rendering. It had a nice color scheme and style.
What style is this even, it looks like the old treasury building downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post

Yes, it is a shame those buildings cannot be saved, but I see a couple of things that were likely factors. One is uneven floor heights between the three buildings, another is cost to rehabilitate these buildings. All three look like they were in dire need to not just be renovated but to be brought up to code. The cost to do so likely exceeded that of demolition.
"brought up to code"

About the only that could have been done with those buildings would be to "deconstruct" the facades, or more realistically, just remove the architectural details and somehow incorporate them into the new design.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Am I looking at this correctly? It looks like the Garden Theater entrance will serve as the main entrance into this building. The lobby/lounge is essentially away from the main entry which would allow for the seating to be arranged along the windows.

I like this layout. Yes, it is a shame those buildings cannot be saved, but I see a couple of things that were likely factors. One is uneven floor heights between the three buildings, another is cost to rehabilitate these buildings. All three look like they were in dire need to not just be renovated but to be brought up to code. The cost to do so likely exceeded that of demolition.

The architectural style that is replacing these does seem to reflect common structures erected in the 1920s or 1930s. I like they're looking to keep the two storefronts along Federal Street.

What was The Bradberry before? A hotel?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, due to the tense you use here, the three buildings in question have already been demolished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I understand that there was a lot of pressure to reduce the overall size of this project but I wonder why they changed the style and materials? I really loved the first Trek rendering. It had a nice color scheme and style.
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be because the earlier, bolder style was meant to draw attention towards the historic facades. With those buildings gone, you don't want a showy building which upstages the historic structures on North Avenue - you want something which blends into the background more.

Also, I'm not sure if they're still working with Rothschild Doyno, who did the original design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
About the only that could have been done with those buildings would be to "deconstruct" the facades, or more realistically, just remove the architectural details and somehow incorporate them into the new design.
Yeah. IIRC the main issue with the buildings was not the crumbling facades themselves, but the poor condition of the foundations underneath. It's really hard to save a facade when the support structure below it is shot.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:40 AM

Behind a paywall, Pittsburgh Business Times has some new details regarding the Civic Arena site redevelopment, which was presented to stakeholders in the Hill District at the Energy Innovation Center.

1. The first residential phase will include 121 units in a 12-story highrise fronting on Centre and 167 in a series of low rise structures. Out of the total 228 units, 58 will be affordable. There is a rendering, but it's a picture of a projected slide, so it's not the best. Unit count actually seems kinda low though given the scope shown in the rendering.

2. Less impressive is the first commercial block, which will basically be an 800-space parking garage with a 100,000 square foot "three-in-one live music venue" (whatever that means) built on top. They claim that having the garage completed first will help make the surrounding commercial parcels easier to market, but my guess is they more want to quickly replace the lost spaces from developing these two megablocks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
121 units in a 12-story highrise
Highrise construction with only 12 units per floor? That would have to either be very high-end residential or heavily subsidized. There's a reason why most apartment projects are five-story wood frame construction.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:00 PM

Man, I thought we would one building of some substance out of this.

I don't mean huge, but something...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
Highrise construction with only 12 units per floor? That would have to either be very high-end residential or heavily subsidized. There's a reason why most apartment projects are five-story wood frame construction.
In fairness, it looks like most of the first two stories are taken up by some sort of patio/storefront (restaurant?). And the side facing the hill on those levels seems to be underground. It really seems like only the corner facing town would be usable for residential.

That said, something is off.

Judging by the knowledge that that's on Centre, the curve of the corner, and City View Apartments being in the shot, it's probably this entire megablock. This is about 7.46 acres of land, or 324,000 square feet. This works out to approximately 1 unit for every 1,125 square feet.

This is very low compared to unit counts per square feet for other recent apartment developments. For example, the first phase of Arsenal 201 fit 243 units into only 170,000 square feet (701 square feet per unit). The Yards fit 300 units in 179,200 square feet (597 square feet per unit). Morrow Park fit 213 units in only 55,500 square feet (261 square feet per unit).

I mean, we can see that they've decided to use that big swooping turn of Fullerton Street for nothing but hardscape and grass. There are also those two big plazas chunked out between the low-rise buildings. There's clearly a lot of empty space on the parcel. But it seems like there's a second tier of buildings behind the ones "fronting" on Fullerton. And of course the 12-story high rise. I just don't see how you can possibly get only 288 units out of this. It should be something like 500 given the density they seem to be building out the site. Never mind that an area that close to the urban core should be built out more more intensely than areas further from Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:53 PM

Some development news for Coraopolis at the former Montour Junction rail yard. This is where the Montour Trail is slated to pass through on its way into Coraopolis' business district.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...in-coraopolis/

"Allegheny Health Network and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds outlined plans Wednesday for a sports complex and health clinic on the site of a former railroad yard in Coraopolis.

The $16 million, 78-acre facility will feature 10 synthetic FIFA-regulation soccer and multipurpose fields, two of which will be indoors, and a 20,000-square-foot AHN clinic offering a full range of services including walk-in primary and pediatric care and sports medicine programs."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:50 PM

For the sake of my mental health, I am going to put aside what could have been and note--I kinda like this! This perspective emphasizes how the Garden Theater now becomes a very prominent focal point, bookended by the buildings on either side:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...theater-block/

According to the article, that's a shared rooftop deck on the new building, which of course is looking out across the park toward Downtown. So that's kinda neat too.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:55 PM

This is pretty cool news. Sorry if already posted.

Courier Exclusive: 40 units of affordable housing coming to Hill District, labeled New Granada Square Apartments

https://newpittsburghcourier.com/201...It_7rJTlNs88kM

Dubbed the New Granada Square Apartments, construction will begin next year on a five-story building on Centre Avenue in between the Black Beauty Lounge, 2037 Centre Ave., and the building that houses the Hill District Federal Credit Union, 2021 Centre Ave.

The first floor will be reserved for 7,200 square feet of commercial space, and the remaining floors will house 40 units labeled as “affordable,” with the units priced from 20 to 80 percent of the Area Median Income. Twenty-seven apartments will be one-bedroom; 13 will be two-bedroom. Many of the apartments will be marketed to those in the arts community.

The New Granada Square Apartments would be located to the far right on this photo, a building to be constructed beginning in 2020.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
This is pretty cool news. Sorry if already posted.

Courier Exclusive: 40 units of affordable housing coming to Hill District, labeled New Granada Square Apartments

https://newpittsburghcourier.com/201...It_7rJTlNs88kM

Dubbed the New Granada Square Apartments, construction will begin next year on a five-story building on Centre Avenue in between the Black Beauty Lounge, 2037 Centre Ave., and the building that houses the Hill District Federal Credit Union, 2021 Centre Ave.

The first floor will be reserved for 7,200 square feet of commercial space, and the remaining floors will house 40 units labeled as “affordable,” with the units priced from 20 to 80 percent of the Area Median Income. Twenty-seven apartments will be one-bedroom; 13 will be two-bedroom. Many of the apartments will be marketed to those in the arts community.

The New Granada Square Apartments would be located to the far right on this photo, a building to be constructed beginning in 2020.

It will be nice for the Hill District to have one block with some semblance of its traditional urban vitality once again.

Though right across the street is still a mess for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:46 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
It will be nice for the Hill District to have one block with some semblance of its traditional urban vitality once again.

Though right across the street is still a mess for the foreseeable future.
Hopefully that new development could lead to something for that piece of land across the street. That white building looks abandoned according to Google Streetview.

Regarding that proposed development, I agree it looks to attempt to restore what was lost. Is that an outdoor amphitheater there on the corner? I can almost imagine jazz music resonating from there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

They'll need cops always stationed there if they plan on having that be an open air amphitheater thing. Hopefully that plan actually goes through, the Grenada Theater has been abandoned forever and is probably a total disaster inside.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:19 PM

I feel like we discussed a proposal, or maybe just a community plan or something, like that a million years ago (rough estimate). Definitely nice to see something actually moving forward.

Things keep happening to incrementally improve various parts of the Hill. I keep wondering if it will pass some critical feedback loop point, maybe thanks to the combination of Lower Hill and Uptown projects finally starting to really move.

We shall see.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 11:54 AM

Lawrenceville has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, in part out of recognition of it large stock of working class rowhouses--which is cool:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...thers-we-have/

As the article points out, the practical consequences for development are minimal on their own, but I believe being a contributing structure to a registered historic district can help qualify some projects for certain federal tax credit programs, and I think the state might have programs that could consider that factor as well.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
They'll need cops always stationed there if they plan on having that be an open air amphitheater thing. Hopefully that plan actually goes through, the Grenada Theater has been abandoned forever and is probably a total disaster inside.
I think there's a police station just across the street from this proposed development. At least according to Google Maps, this is anyway:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4437...ov%3D100?hl=en

If you look at the rendering, it's the greyed-out building in the bottom right corner. And no, I would NOT advocate demolishing/relocating a police station to accommodate a future development!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
I like that the rendering shows that the buildings might have a bit of color to them (i.e., the yellow accents). Kinda like the new Buncher apartment building on the river in the Strip. It's good to see some brightness and color in Pittsburgh's built environment (aside from the ubiquitous burnt orange), considering all the grays and browns of the buildings, landscape half the year, and weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
They'll need cops always stationed there if they plan on having that be an open air amphitheater thing.
Man, I think you've been hanging around Dr. Avis too long.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations