HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:20 PM

Minneapolis - Highlights

Minneapolis highlights photographed in May 2010:
This large city is the larger of the twin cities of Minnesota, just 8 miles from its smaller neighbor, Saint Paul. Both sit on the shore of the Mississippi River.

Mill City Museum:
The banks of the river next to downtown were once a major flour milling center; the Washburn Mill complex was the largest, operated by the companies that became General Mills. One of their brands was Gold Medal, and a sign for it sits atop a group of silos. An adjoining mill building burned years ago, and an excellent modern museum has been built inside its ruins. The museum focuses on the history of milling in the region and its effect on the history of the city as well as the products generated.

Mill Ruins Park:
Adjoining the museum is an area of other former industrial sites, some of which have been converted into housing while others remain abandoned. Foundations of former mills and trails compose the park itself, and the river is crossed by several historic bridges that view the spillway of the falls that attracted the mills to locate here for power originally.

Downtown Skylines:

City Hall:
This grand edifice is near the center of downtown, with a refined interior lobby that contrasts with its rusticated exterior.

Downtown late 19th and early 20th Century buildings:
The wealth from milling and other industry was sometimes spent on richly detailed buildings from this period, and the core of the city has good examples from a variety of styles all the way through to the Classical Moderne of Art Deco.

Downtown 1960's and 70's:
A few interesting buildings survive from this period, although perhaps more notable are the urban landscapes. Nicollet Mall was a groundbreaking conversion of a street to a pedestrian-and-bus-only thoroughfare that is the heart of downtown to this day, although its design details have been updated so that it appears more modern. Adjoining it are Peavey Plaza and Loring Greenway, both textbook examples of their original design period.

Nicollet Mall:
Updated from its original look, a wide variety of buildings are located along this shopping and business street closed to private vehicles. A statue of Mary Tyler Moore throws her hat to emulate the opening of the fictitious television show once set here.

Modern Downtown:
A light rail line serves downtown and connects to the airport as well as the largest mall in the United States, located about 10 miles South. The downtown streetscape is dynamic but clean, towered over by skyscrapers, most of which are from the late 80's and after.

Bridge Square:
The Federal Reserve Bank and a nice plaza that interprets the city's growth are located here.

Federal Building and Courthouse:
This is fronted by a plaza designed by Martha Schwartz featuring her typically bold design.

Hennepin County Library:
This central branch in downtown was designed by Cesar Pelli, who also designed the Art Deco-inspired skyscraper called Wells Fargo Center pictured earlier, the last image in the modern downtown section.

Target Field:
This is the new downtown home of the Minnesota Twins major-league baseball team, designed by Antoine Predock.

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and Walker Art Center:
On the edge of downtown, this complex for modern art includes a large formal garden and a museum that features a newer addition by Herzog and de Meuron.

Gold Medal Park:
Coming full circle on this downtown tour, this new greenspace is on the bank of the Mississippi River next to the Mill City Museum and the city's origins. Several modern buildings grace its perimeter in this newly infilling section of downtown.

Guthrie Theater:
Adjoining Gold Medal Park and next to Mill City Museum is this striking performing arts center by Jean Nouvel.

Last edited by geomorph; Apr 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 8:48 PM

Looks awesome, thanks geomorph!

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 9:23 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

A beautiful modern skyline! Always enjoy seeing this skyline! Thanks again for another Highlight tour!

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 1:34 AM

VERY nice!!! Just one correction...the part where you talk about "modern downtown", I wouldn't really say most were built in the 70s and 80s...very few were built in the 70s...a large chunk of the bigger buildings opened after 1987, with several opening in the early 2000s.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 2:07 AM

MNMike, thank you for the compliment and suggestion, I changed the text to read 'late 80's and after' instead!

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 2:42 PM

i've always admired minny's collection of contemporary architecture, almost reminds me of what i'd expect to see in rotterdam.

great photos, but i always chuckle at your prescripted intro. (lots of duplicates in this thread, hehe)

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 3:25 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Minneapolis is a gem.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 7:33 PM

Are there higher architectural standards written into the zoning in Minneapolis or is it just luck? It seems like the buildings work together better than in the average city. The effect is shimmering and sleek. Taken as a sculptural composition, I think the three most prominent towers in Minneapolis rival the greatness of the old lower Manhattan skyline of the 1930's and 40's.

http://www.timothyjuddviolin.com

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 2:59 AM

Wonderful thread Geomorph. Lovely details

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the compliments, and yes my prescripted intro is getting old! I am a sucker for consistency though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos