HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 6:24 AM

NBA Star to Help Get MLS to Vancouver?

Mark Masters, National Post Published: Sunday, June 15, 2008

Nash actively pursuing Vancouver MLS team, brother says

Steve Nash may be the wildcard in the race to bring another Major League Soccer franchise to Canada.

Martin Nash, Steve's brother, has confirmed that the Phoenix Suns star is ready to become actively involved in getting an MLS team in Vancouver, the city where he grew up.

"He's trying to get involved. I don't think he's very involved yet but he wants to get involved. He just wants to give the game of soccer a higher profile in Canada," said Martin Nash, who plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps of the United Soccer Leagues.

"Soccer is our first-love sport. We grew up playing it and my dad played it and still plays it, so it's just something embedded into us."

MLS commissioner Don Garber met Steve Nash in May and wrote on the league Web site that the two-time NBA MVP may be interested in getting involved as part of an ownership group trying to bring a team to Canada.

Mark Abbott, the president of MLS, said the league is hesitant to speculate further.

"Steve Nash is obviously interested in soccer in Canada and what his role is ... I don't know how to say it, he would have to say what his role is with respect to that," said Abbott, who is the league's spokesperson on expansion issues.

The Whitecaps and the Montreal Impact are both trying to make the leap from the second-tier USL.

Major League Soccer will expand to Seattle in 2009 and Philadelphia in 2010 bringing the total number of teams to 16. An additional two franchises are likely to be added by the 2012 season.

Many American cities have expressed interest, including Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Portland, San Diego and St. Louis.

The league will likely cap expansion once it reaches 18 teams, making this bid process all the more intense.

Bob Lenarduzzi, the president of the Whitecaps, said he would gladly welcome any support Nash offers.

"With his profile and his interest in the game and the fact he's a great Canadian that we're all very proud, of course we would welcome him. As far as his involvement, that's certainly premature from my perspective."

Nash recently invested in Women's Professional Soccer and has made no secret of his desire to help the sport grow.

Both Vancouver, with owner Greg Kerfoot, and Montrea,l with the Saputo family, appear to have the funding to pay the projected US$40-million for an expansion franchise. And Montreal just opened a new soccer-specific building, Saputo Stadium. MLS has said this is a necessity for any expansion applicant.

The Whitecaps are scrambling to get the ball rolling on a new soccer stadium to be located on Vancouver's waterfront. A disagreement with the Vancouver Port Corp., which owns some land the Whitecaps need, is holding up the project.

The next key date in the process will be July 24 when the MLS gathers in Toronto for the All-Star Game, with expansion talk expected to be on the agenda.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 7:03 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I think we are needing a GO NASH GO!!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:15 PM
Site 8 Lives

That is great news! Steve Nash is a true Canadian sports hero, and the furthest thing from the brooding, me-first jock that pervades today's pro sports scene.

I'm glad that a guy like him is making the millions, because he seems so intent on giving back to his roots -- whether it's supporting charities, helping kids participate in sports, or bringing an MLS franchise to Vancouver.

To echo Hollywood, "Go Nash Go!"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:26 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

That would be awesome.

Ottawa's next!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:39 PM
arf

Do it and do it now. Canada needs a stronger football/soccer presence. It's a game that most kids play, but there's almost no venue to play it at a higher level except disappearing to other countries.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:43 PM

He's "ready to become actively involved"? What does that even mean? Nash spends his offseasons in New York, and until he retires, I can't see him devoting a significant amount of time to a cause that, without a new stadium, is a longshot at best.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 5:58 PM
BANNED

whatever happened to the Steve Nash Sports Club?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 6:15 PM

It sucks, thats what happened to it. Still exists at the base of the Hudson building though.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 1:41 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Unhappy

Vancouver definitely needs this, with or without the Waterfront Stadium.

IMO, I don;t like the Waterfront Stadium and hope instead the improvements to BC Place Stadium are tip top notch - and let the Whitecaps play there along with the BC Lions. Not to say I dont want development on the Waterfront, but I think we should reserve it to tall and supertall office or mixed use towers. I dont want to screw up the waterfront just so we can get a MLS team.

IMHO, Vancouver should have been awarded a MLS franchise over Seattle, but I suppose they have ownership under control wheras in Van it's still a question??? Remains to be seen whether Seattle can support it (esp when the team loses). However, Vancouver is a natural - given all of the international presence in this city! Imagine the instant rivalry we'd have with Seattle, LA, and Toronto (also Chicago and NY and DC perhaps.)

I think, MLS should award both Vancouver AND Montreal franchises. Maybe make it 20 franchises and let 2 cities in the US fight it out.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
IMHO, Vancouver should have been awarded a MLS franchise over Seattle, but I suppose they have ownership under control wheras in Van it's still a question??? Remains to be seen whether Seattle can support it (esp when the team loses). However, Vancouver is a natural - given all of the international presence in this city! Imagine the instant rivalry we'd have with Seattle, LA, and Toronto (also Chicago and NY and DC perhaps.)
Seattle's team has already sold 20,000+ season tickets, which I believe is more than any other club, could be wrong though. If Vancouver got a team, we'd finally have a good Seattle-Vancouver sports rivalry.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Mark Masters, National Post Published: Sunday, June 15, 2008

Martin Nash, Steve's brother, has confirmed that the Phoenix Suns star is ready to become actively involved in getting an MLS team in Vancouver, the city where he grew up.
Hrmm, I'd like to point out that he grew up in VICTORIA not Vancouver, but this is pretty cool nonetheless

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:24 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Vancouver definitely needs this, with or without the Waterfront Stadium.

Not to say I dont want development on the Waterfront, but I think we should reserve it to tall and supertall office or mixed use towers. I dont want to screw up the waterfront just so we can get a MLS team.
Why not have something where EVERYONE can enjoy the Waterfront... instead of a bunch of towers.

Seattle got a team because they have a stadium. A bit of bait n' switch, mind you... as they were supposed to build a new stadium as part of the deal... but renegged on it and are going to use the football stadium.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation