HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 1:32 PM

Costco – Ancaster

Costco – Ancaster

Within a couple of weeks, Costco will be building a new, twice the size store in Ancaster. It will be built in the parking lot and field to the west of the store. When finished they will be tearing down the present store and putting in a gas station. This store was the first building built in the Meadowlands as the Price Club.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:18 PM

I overheard an employee mentioning the new store a couple of weeks ago, but they were very vague on details so thanks for the info!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice. Keep the meat and veggies separate, shouldn't be in the same area.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 10:22 PM
Hammer'd

Geez, the existing one is already huge as it is. I guess this is how they do it in the suburbs though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:31 AM

A supervisor at the cash told me that there would be a full deli and pharmacy in the new store.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 1:39 PM

Looks like they have broken ground on the new Costco this past week. I wouldn't imagine that it will take that long to construct a warehouse...not sure when it will be opening.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:35 PM

The November 17th opening has been delayed until January. The store is almost finished but apparently a large important piece of equipment specially designed for the store was designed or built wrong. They have to wait for the new one to be delivered.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:53 PM

Drove past it last week... I cannot believe how big this building is.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Drove past it last week... I cannot believe how big this building is.
Good. There's not enough room to shop in the existing structure.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Good. There's not enough room to shop in the existing structure.
It does get crowded in there, but the awkward layout at the front of the store doesn't help.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:35 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio View Post
It does get crowded in there, but the awkward layout at the front of the store doesn't help.
It's true. As large as it is, it's not very well laid out, especially when you move up to the checkouts; it gets really cramped.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 11:50 PM

Any pics of the new Costco?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Any pics of the new Costco?
I'll get some this weekend. It's... big.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:04 AM

I was there today and its still not open. I was told its due to building codes. I find that funny because I cant imagine some one not being able to fallow the codes. In school I'm always designing building above and over the codes. Is this true? and the person i ask said it wont be open till march.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
I was there today and its still not open. I was told its due to building codes. I find that funny because I cant imagine some one not being able to fallow the codes. In school I'm always designing building above and over the codes. Is this true? and the person i ask said it wont be open till march.
Look up the page a few posts. LikeHamilton indicated why there was a delay.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
I was there today and its still not open. I was told its due to building codes. I find that funny because I cant imagine some one not being able to fallow the codes. In school I'm always designing building above and over the codes.
I studied Architecture and have built custom homes and from first hand experience I can tell you, all inspectors are different. Even thought the OBC is black and white, all inspectors interpret them differently and have their own standards. Same goes with National fire code, electrical........

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul29 View Post
I studied Architecture and have built custom homes and from first hand experience I can tell you, all inspectors are different. Even thought the OBC is black and white, all inspectors interpret them differently and have their own standards. Same goes with National fire code, electrical........
Oh totally agree with you on the different inspectors and how they view it. The biggest problem I've been hearing about is spray foam, with or with out vapor barrier. I knew each inspector has there own views and thoughts, and reasons why things they view the way the view them, but you'd think with the O.B.C giving you the minimum requirements it be a lot less of a head ace.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 12:04 AM

i'm so glad they built a second costco right next to the old one. now if the line ups are too long at one, you can just drive across the parking lot to the other one and shop there instead! i think all stores should put a second store at the other end of the parking lot just for this very reason.

another advantage of this idea is that you never have to park so far from the door anymore. cause if you think about it, the farthest away parking spot from the door of one store is the closest one to the door of the other store. so you never have to walk so far.

if some stores can't afford to build a second store yet, they could have another service... if there was like a go cart parked in each parking spot, then you can park your car and just get in the go cart and drive up to the door instead of walking. go carts are way smaller so they could have hundreds of go cart parking spots really close to the door.

For the really busy stores, they could have a moving sidewalk from the furthest go cart parking spots, so even if you have to park your go cart a little too far away, you can take a moving sidewalk to the store. so you'd park your car, take the go cart to the go cart parking and then take the moving sidewalk to the front door, reducing slow inefficient walking.

and the really big stores could have moving sidewalks inside the store too which would greatly increase the speed that you can get your shopping done...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
i'm so glad they built a second costco right next to the old one. now if the line ups are too long at one, you can just drive across the parking lot to the other one and shop there instead! i think all stores should put a second store at the other end of the parking lot just for this very reason.

another advantage of this idea is that you never have to park so far from the door anymore. cause if you think about it, the farthest away parking spot from the door of one store is the closest one to the door of the other store. so you never have to walk so far.

if some stores can't afford to build a second store yet, they could have another service... if there was like a go cart parked in each parking spot, then you can park your car and just get in the go cart and drive up to the door instead of walking. go carts are way smaller so they could have hundreds of go cart parking spots really close to the door.

For the really busy stores, they could have a moving sidewalk from the furthest go cart parking spots, so even if you have to park your go cart a little too far away, you can take a moving sidewalk to the store. so you'd park your car, take the go cart to the go cart parking and then take the moving sidewalk to the front door, reducing slow inefficient walking.

and the really big stores could have moving sidewalks inside the store too which would greatly increase the speed that you can get your shopping done...
Um....you do know that when the new store is built and open, the old one is getting demolished, right?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 3:33 PM

Still a huge waste. Disposable buildings...what's the lifespan on these things? 10 years?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs