HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
The stairs at Metrotown station have some new high-friction coating on them. Is this new?
The non-slip coating was applied to Metrotown station stairs in the early morning of Dec. 31 when the station was still closed. You can see the layer is a bit thin and the end result is not that good. I wonder whether a 2nd coating will be applied at a later date to make it last longer.
Joyce Station East entrance was totally closed for 2 weeks to have the same non-slip coatings applied. The stair looks very good.
There were a few incidents I witnessed where passenger slipped and fell on the stairs at Metrotown station and Stadium station. In both cases the passenger seemed to be hurted pretty bad and ambulance had to be called. I don't know whether Translink got sued because of that. It is good the station safety can be improved, probably should thank the Fare Gates project.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 4:14 PM

OK I'm LOST!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 7:40 AM

Honolulu may soon get long-awaited commuter rail

http://bettercities.net/news-opinion...-commuter-rail

As for the elevated transit line, that has also been controversial. Many of the urban planners involved in this effort might have preferred a surface system such as light rail. But there were pros and cons, and the County reviewed a full range of alternatives in its EIS/AA process, making the choice of technology carefully and openly. In the final analysis, Honoluluʻs primary urban center is quite dense -- one of the densest places in North America -- and an elevated transit line is a reasonable fit with this specific local urban environment. It will offer travel time benefits that a surface system wouldnʻt, albeit at the expense of the better integration with the street-level environment that you would get with LRT. (An underground system would not be feasible.) County planners and elected leaders saw Vancouverʻs SkyTrain as a model for Honolulu, and there are obvious similarities in the two places that should not be discounted (including the fact that all rail projects are controversial).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 10:56 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Nothing too exciting, more expansion at the Skytrain OMC lot.

Quote:
1.1 The project consists of three construction elements and one equipment storage element to the British Columbia Rapid Transit Company’s (BCRTC) Operations and Maintenance Centre (OMC) located at 6800 - 14th Avenue, Burnaby, BC. The facility was constructed in 1985, to provide maintenance, operational and storage facilities to support the Expo Line SkyTrain fleet.
1.2 The SkyTrain OMC facilities were expanded in 2000 (MK-II Maintenance Building), in 2001 (five additional lanes of storage track) to allow the facilities to support the Millennium Line SkyTrain fleet, and most recently in 2009 (MK-I Maintenance Building Expansion and three additional lanes of storage track) to allow maintenance of an additional 48 vehicles.
1.3 This project consisting of three new building construction elements, specifically a Guideway Shop Expansion, a Plant Shop Extension and Extension of Overhead Cover for Warehouse Receiving Loading Dock as well as LIM Motor Storage Racks is required to meet the ongoing and expanded maintenance operations at the OMC.
Quote:
3.1 The Consultant shall perform engineering analysis and prepare detailed engineering design (including electrical, mechanical, civil and structural work, as required) for the following modifications and/or improvements (collectively referred to as the “Work”):
.1 Guideway Shop Expansion (Shelter);
a. Scope: A new roof structure, located adjacent and parallel to the existing Guideway shop, is required to provide cover over two sets of railway tracks
where stock is loaded and unloaded and minor maintenance activities occur. The proposed roof structure will span the two railway tracks and have overall dimensions of 35 meters long by 11 meters wide.
A prefabricated steel roof supported on steel columns and concrete foundations is the recommended solution. A concrete strip footing exists to support the structure’s east columns. Pad footings will be required to support the west columns next to the Guideway Shop.
The new structure will require cladding along its east wall (35m), but will be fully open at both ends allowing for access and vehicle movement. With this arrangement air will easily flow through the structure, therefore the installation of a ventilation system is not required. Lighting and power will be required. It is anticipated that the roof will be sloped away from the existing guideway shop and that appropriate roof drainage will be incorporated.
b. Construction Budget: $250,000
c. Approximate Building Area: 385m2 (35m x 11m x 6.5 meters in height)

.2 Plant Shop Extension:
a. Scope: An extension to SkyTrain’s Plant Shop (Annex Building) located on the south side of the OMC site is proposed to house the escalator/elevator maintenance functions currently being performed in a make-shift tent structure.
A fully enclosed structure extending from the south face of the existing plant shop and matching the plant shop’s interior and exterior finishes is required. The new building space will require a new 3m x 3m electric roll-up door. Electrical, lighting and mechanical systems will be necessary to meet operational and current building code requirements for the new space.
b. The benefits and feasibility of relocating an existing roll-up door will be explored during the design. The benefits and feasibility of incorporating a second storey and connecting into the existing building’s second storey will be explored during conceptual design.
c. Construction Budget: 400,000.00
d. Estimated Building Size: 150 m2 (15m x 10m x 4m in height)

.3 Extension of Overhead Cover for Warehouse Receiving Loading Dock
a. Scope: The existing warehouse loading dock overhead cover needs to be extended to provide adequate coverage from weather for personnel and for equipment to be staged in the loading dock area on an interim basis. The appearance of the roof extension should match the OMC building and its existing short roof structure.

Support foundations cannot impede or obstruct operations. The covered area will not be enclosed therefore ventilation and heating will not be required. Electrical and lighting will be required in the covered space and fire alarm and sprinklers need to meet current building code requirements.
b. Construction Budget: $80,000.00
c. Estimated Area of new roof structure: 78m2 (13m x 6m, match existing building height)

.4 LIM Motor Storage Racks
a. Scope: Improved storage facilities for the SkyTrain Linear Induction Motors (LIM) are required. A specification is required for an appropriate industrial shelving system to accommodate 30 LIMs (6 bays x 5 high). The shelving will be located south of the warehouse receiving loading dock. When full, the shelving system will need to support approximately 9,000 lbs per bay, 54,000lbs in total plus the self weight of the shelving structure. Design shall include for appropriate support foundations.
b. The feasibility of extending the new warehouse receiving dock roof structure over the LIM storage shelves will be explored during the design.
c. Linear Induction Motor Specifications:
a. Weight: 1,800lbs
b. Dimension: 94”L x 35”W x 28”H
d. Storage Racking Budget: $100,000 (includes shelving and support foundations)
.5 It is anticipated that the Guideway Shop Expansion, Plant Shop Extension, Extension of Overhead Cover for Warehouse Receiving Loading Dock and the LIM storage support foundations will be issued as a single tender package. A second tender package will be required for the supply and installation of LIM Motor Storage Racks.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 9:00 AM

You guys need to check out this thread in the Canada section. MikeToronto talking out of his ass once again about Vancouver transit:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post5543892

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 9:10 AM

Yeah i saw that

Pretty funny stuff. For me the bus system here has always seemed amazingly extensive and frequent.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:21 AM

Exclamation virus warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
You guys need to check out this thread in the Canada section. MikeToronto talking out of his ass once again about Vancouver transit:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post5543892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yeah i saw that

Pretty funny stuff. For me the bus system here has always seemed amazingly extensive and frequent.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MikeToronto suffers from a virus called "Grandiosus Torontomyelitis" otherwise called "Toronto Grandiosity," a syndrome not uncommon to many residents of that city.

They will always think that whatever Toronto does is the Biggest and the Best, and they will always take potshots at Vancouver.

It's just Toronto, and the way it perceives itself.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:15 PM

He probably doesn't know the service area for TransLink is 3 times as large as TTC.

(large image)

Source: Buzzer Blog

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 9:50 PM

Spot a 2-cars MkI train at Brentwood at around 12:45pm today. Don't know if it is actually in service or not.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
He probably doesn't know the service area for TransLink is 3 times as large as TTC.

(large image)

Source: Buzzer Blog
Who services the 905 then? That should be taken into consideration also.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Spot a 2-cars MkI train at Brentwood at around 12:45pm today. Don't know if it is actually in service or not.
Get a photo? That is extremely rare. Would be nice talking to Skytrain about arranging a photo shoot day with a few 2-car Mark 1 trains (in service). That could be arranged.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Who services the 905 then? That should be taken into consideration also.
Different agencies - York Regional Transit (Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Newmarket), Durham Regional Transit (Whitby, Pickering, Oshawa), Mississauga Transit, Oakville Transit and Brampton Transit

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:28 AM

Any idea on Translink's timeline for capacity increases for the skytrain lines? Trains are getting pretty full throughout the weekday and often at crush-capacity during peak. They really need to up the frequencies if they insist on running 4-car MKI trains during rush hour imo.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:04 AM

Anytime I see a Mark 1, all seats are taken so it's not even worth getting on (and for a 6.1" guy too cramped).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It's just Toronto, and the way it perceives itself.
I gotta say that the layout of many of Toronto's subway stations where the buses drive right into the fare-paid zones and you can move between bus and subway without having to worry about transfers, etc. is a terrific way to do things. And it's not a new idea - I remember it working that way back in the 60's.

That having been said, I think the Skytrain with its automated, predictable starts and stops and its sweeping vistas is far, far more enjoyable to ride.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:16 AM

http://www.surreyleader.com/news/137034413.html
Quote:
TransLink has applied to raise transit fares an average of 12.5 per cent in January 2013 and this time the planned increases are to hit all riders.

If approved, cash fares would rise 25 to 50 cents to between $2.75 for one zone and $5.50 for three zones.

A book of 10 pre-paid one-zone FareSaver tickets would rise $2.50 to $23.50, while a three-zone book would climb $5 to $47.
Yay for upasses? And yeah skytrain seems to be packed many times of day now. No more 4-car MKI trains please!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
http://www.surreyleader.com/news/137034413.html

Yay for upasses? And yeah skytrain seems to be packed many times of day now. No more 4-car MKI trains please!
U-Pass cost will probaby be increased when the existing contract expires for a school.
I took Skytrain at Metrotown heading to Downtown around 8:30am yesterday and the new MK2 train is pretty empty?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 5:50 AM

this morning i transferred at broadway - arond 7:45 am and a 4 car MKI was just pulling out and the next train was waiting behind it and it was empty and it was a MKII single car one and it pulled up and filled up immediately, waiting just off the station was an in-service 4 car MKI

so is this a new thing? single MKII and two car MKI's?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:02 AM

There's a two car MKII shuttle that runs from Broadway to Waterfont to pick up overload passengers transferring from the Millenium Line. It then returns non stop to the switchover before Nanaimo Station. I don't know exactly how often this train runs, I think every 12 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:05 AM

ah okay

i used to catch the train from lougheed at 6:10 am ish and it was busy but i always got a seat, i catch it an hour or so later now - 7:30 ish and its packed, have to stand most of the way, a lot get off at SFU but just as many seem to get on there and than another large group get off at brentwood and i can usually snag a seat there if i am quick enough, often am not, than the broadway transfer is packed and i get squished onto the train into downtown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure