HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:27 PM

I hate to say it....but I couldn't watch the game and turned elsewhere before halftime. Rod Black has no business being on anything but figure skating, and Matt Dunigan really should stick to the panel.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
I hate to say it....but I couldn't watch the game and turned elsewhere before halftime. Rod Black has no business being on anything but figure skating, and Matt Dunigan really should stick to the panel.
Couldn't agree more - I didn't even last that long. They are the worst duo by far and totally ruin the game. Rod Black and his sucky comments and ridiculous nicknames and Dunigan sounds like he might still be concussed. TSN really needs to get it together.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:42 PM

If you had the same mentality and not watching because Rod Black was calling the game with last night's game, you missed a beauty. I agree, Rod can be a tough listen, but not watching a game because of him with the quality of games we're having this year seems a bit much. With Matt, moving from the desk where they rehearse much of what they are going to say to colour a game is a big jump for most people. I'm sure he knows he's not the greatest at it and is basically taking one for the team for TSN.

The one and only good thing I thought that would come out of Rogers winning complete national NHL coverage would be that TSN would put more money into its CFL coverage, but as many have said in previous posts, nothing has really changed in 10 years aside from some additional stat sessions.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:08 PM

Dunigan has been doing spot duty as the colour man for years now, it's nothing new for him. What he lacks in nuanced detail he more than makes up for in enthusiasm and intensity

I agree though, it wouldn't take much to improve the already decent quality of TSN telecasts. They need some fresh blood on the panel - even adding one former defensive player would make the difference. And yes, a new play by play guy such that Rod Black could then become a backup alongside John Wells.

Oh, and it looks like the meltdown is on in Hamilton... I'm a bit surprised, I kind of figured the Cats would be hitting their stride now that Collaros has some real experience under his belt.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:44 PM

Mike Riley

Mike Riley is going to be voted toughest player in the CFL again. The Ti-cats puts some massive hits on him last night and he got up every time and won the game with an awesome passing display (plus porous Ti-Cat secondary). Hate the Esks, love Riley.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 2:49 PM
Community Guy

In Riley we trust!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:34 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post

The one and only good thing I thought that would come out of Rogers winning complete national NHL coverage would be that TSN would put more money into its CFL coverage, but as many have said in previous posts, nothing has really changed in 10 years aside from some additional stat sessions.
Although many years past due, TSN did add a real slow-motion camera to all its CFL broadcasts this season. That's a very visible improvement. But, yes, TSN could and should be doing more, although I don't have a major issue with Rod Black, whose enthusiasm and crisp, clear voice I appreciate.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
although I don't have a major issue with Rod Black, whose enthusiasm and crisp, clear voice I appreciate.
People who haven't a clue about broadcasting have never forgiven him for having a figure skating background. Like crapping on refs, people just have to bitch about the most convenient victim. Quite lame really. That wasn't meant for you Prometheus.

Last edited by elly63; Jul 22, 2017 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:43 PM

What an excruciating loss by the Bombers in BC last night... they played well enough to be in the game despite an extremely slow start, but sadly they just couldn't seal the deal. Medlock's miss at the end was just a salty reminder of the WSF. And in hindsight, that fake punt in the 4th may have just been a case of going to the special teams razzle dazzle well too many times.

Lulay had a great game and I thought the Lions D was pretty good despite the tear that the Bombers went on during the third quarter. Harris was nearly invisible for most of the game, and there was constant pressure on Nichols.

It was certainly an entertaining game to watch but what a heartbreaker at the end.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:59 PM

I don't like the Lions and I certainly don't care for the Bombers, but when you put the two together it is definitely must watch television! Maybe not having a bias helps, but I was quite entertained!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:35 PM

That was a helluva crazy game last night. Great advertising for the wacky CFL. I hope people out east stayed up to watch it!

Going to Riders vs Stamps tonight - hoping for an entertaining game but even if it isn't there's always the stuff going on in the stands, lol. Best rivalry in the CFL IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
People who haven't a clue about broadcasting have never forgiven him for having a figure skating background. Like crapping on refs, people just have to bitch about the most convenient
I couldn't care less what his background is, but used it as an example of something he actually was good at. He's totally out of his depth in football play-by-play and as basketball host on Raptors' games. He's unprepared and often rambling; sometimes one can almost hear his partners cringe at something he says. Why TSN keeps him on while Gord Miller and others are available is incomprehensible.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
That was a helluva crazy game last night. Great advertising for the wacky CFL. I hope people out east stayed up to watch it!

Going to Riders vs Stamps tonight - hoping for an entertaining game but even if it isn't there's always the stuff going on in the stands, lol. Best rivalry in the CFL IMHO.
I'm jealous! I have a work function tonight or we would have headed up for the game. Likely the Stamps first sellout of the season, though there will be as many green jerseys as red!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:56 AM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
I'm jealous! I have a work function tonight or we would have headed up for the game. Likely the Stamps first sellout of the season, though there will be as many green jerseys as red!
I was at the game in Calgary on Saturday night vs Saskatchewan. There was ~10% people in green, which is a very large number, but no where near half. And the game was not really close to being sold out, Attendance was 30,274, Capacity is 35,650.

That is not good if they can't sell out a Saskatchewan game on a Saturday night in July. I think tickets are far too expensive for the CFL ranging from $50-120. And video replay is getting a bit excessive. There should be a judge in the spotters booth, his decision is final, no need for coaches to choose what to challenge and cause delays. They don't even explain the calls on the jumbotron during the challenge for fear of sparking a revolt. And challenges of challenges, give me a break. Very boring! And I am a huge CFL fan.

I brought along 3 friends from the UK, they found there was too many breaks and stoppages in play. But that is compared to Rugby. They found the atmosphere of the fans awesome, very family friendly. You definitely don't get that at sports games in the UK.

I don't think the Stampeders can blame all of their problems on the old stadium, that will not be changing anytime soon. There is just a level of apathy in Calgary for the CFL. But they do have a devoted following of season ticket holders, and are not worried about going bankrupt.

Last edited by ggopher; Jul 24, 2017 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:28 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Great video essay on TSN (by Dave Naylor, narrated by Doug Flutie) about the 1997 Argos.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/snapshot...ssay%7E1173386

Those Flutie Argonaut teams were so incredibly loaded.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
I was at the game in Calgary on Saturday night vs Saskatchewan. There was ~10% people in green, which is a very large number, but no where near half. And the game was not really close to being sold out, Attendance was 30,274, Capacity is 35,650.

That is not good if they can't sell out a Saskatchewan game on a Saturday night in July.

I don't think the Stampeders can blame all of their problems on the old stadium, that will not be changing anytime soon. There is just a level of apathy in Calgary for the CFL. But they do have a devoted following of season ticket holders, and are not worried about going bankrupt.
The bigger the city the bigger the apathy it seems, Argo management would be doing cartwheels if they could get Calgary like attendance. However I wouldn't expect a sold out stadium on a Saturday summer night in Calgary, summer is short and people are getting out of the city this time of year, it's an old problem for the Stamps and why they prefer mid-week games this time of year. And the poor play of the Riders over the last couple of seasons has likely taken its toll on The Nation coming out to sit in the cheap seats and witness another beating at McMahon, what was this the 9th loss in a row for them?

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:28 PM

How long of a leash does Chris Jones have at this point? There are no signs of an imminent turnaround in Sask... this is definitely a full on rebuilding year.

What say you, Rider fans? Give him another season to sort things out and see what happens in 2018, or axe him now?

(Personally I tend to give coaches the benefit of the doubt, but there is something about Jones that almost makes one root for him getting fired)

And oh yeah, Monday nighter tonight, Ottawa @ Toronto. Key matchup in the eastern division turtle derby. There will be some nice warm and fuzzy nostalgia too as they induct Doug Flutie as an all time Argo and salute the dominant 96/97 Grey Cup teams. I expect Toronto to win this one handily over the exhausted and depleted RBs.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:

I brought along 3 friends from the UK, they found there was too many breaks and stoppages in play. But that is compared to Rugby. They found the atmosphere of the fans awesome, very family friendly. You definitely don't get that at sports games in the UK.
Rugby and soccer are built around the live experience, North American sports are built around the TV experience.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I don't think a crowd of +30,000 in the middle of summer reflects any level of apathy at all. Quite the opposite, really. +30,000 would surely be considered a good turnout for any Major League Baseball game in any North American city. It would be considered a HUGE turnout for any Major League Soccer game. So why the double standard for a CFL game in Calgary?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada