HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
something about the scale of this whole area seems way off at ground level, especially with the little minigolf islands down the middle and the trash bucket bauble at the end.
Well yeah, when you have towering skyscrapers on one side, and nothing on the other, I could see some people saying that. But when these massive towers are all built back to back, bringing with them the extra clogged sidewalks, the wisdom of city planning for these open spaces will become clear for everyone. Let it all get built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

All of these bulky towers with 1000's upon 1000's of employees when filled up is going to wreck Penn Station. The numbers are only rising. The number 7 line is going to need more capacity/volume.

Likewise for the A,C, and E.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 3:59 PM
New Yorker for life

APRIL 13, 2019

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

[IMG][/IMG]

Credit: Michael Young via NYY

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 1:02 AM

Photos by me from 4/13/19.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:44 AM

https://www.instagram.com/newyorkyimby/

Tishman Speyer recently held a dedication ceremony to install the first steel column for 66 Hudson Boulevard, aka The Spiral.
The white-colored steel beam was signed before it was raised into place.
It now sits upright on the southern portion of the foundation.
This marked a major step in the construction process for the upcoming 65-story, 2.85-million-square-foot structure.
The site of the future supertall office tower is located in Hudson Yards.
It will be designed by Bjarke Ingels of Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG).
Turner Construction Company is the construction manager while Banker Steel is in charge of fabricating the steel.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 10:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

3rd crane in the making. They are not playing around.

Its going to be nice because its another race afoot. 50 Hudson and this.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 5:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:48 AM

Are they required to use union labor?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:42 PM
Metal Up Your !

While looking at towers designed like this one, makes me feel like the design was lazy. Don't wanna do a box... so let me cut edges out as it spirals around! Brilliant! Sure, but anything other than glass would be a proper start. It's fat and squat, which is already a huge minus. Proportions are everything if the design is bland, and this one can't even muster eye-pleasing proportions. Architecture is so boring nowadays (except for exceptions like SHoP).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
While looking at towers designed like this one, makes me feel like the design was lazy. Don't wanna do a box... so let me cut edges out as it spirals around! Brilliant! Sure, but anything other than glass would be a proper start. It's fat and squat, which is already a huge minus. Proportions are everything if the design is bland, and this one can't even muster eye-pleasing proportions. Architecture is so boring nowadays (except for exceptions like SHoP).

Architects will design what the client wants. The client will build what the tenants want or will be attracted to. In the case of this tower, it's both the large floorplates, and the outdoor terraces that are in so much demand these days. I find this building along with 50 Hudson to be a little too bulky, but that's the point of these things.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:52 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:56 PM

^^^^
From the last photo above it looks like the tower crane is mounted on the red painted iron frame. If so, does anyone have any ideas why it was done this way instead of mounting the base of the crane in concrete at the bottom of the building?

BTW, although I agree that this building is alittle too boxy, I like the concept. I think it would look much better if it were about 15 to 20 stories taller and the spiral continued and the building continued to taper to a smaller size. Easy for me to suggest spending another couple hundred million of somebody else's money. Going tall is expensive!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 11:06 AM

Third crane almost up, that dude is not looking too happy about it..

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw9SwzrjBcQ/

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 10:39 AM

Sorry to be that guy, but is there anything on the drawing board for that surface parking lot across the street?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Sorry to be that guy, but is there anything on the drawing board for that surface parking lot across the street?
I believe that's the site where Related and Spitzer plan a significant tower with offices (and perhaps other uses as well). I don't think that it's currently a public parking lot.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I believe that's the site where Related and Spitzer plan a significant tower with offices (and perhaps other uses as well). I don't think that it's currently a public parking lot.
Yeah, it's a two tower development. The residential tower on the eastern half will rise first, and the office tower fronting Hudson Boulevard will come later.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...56996702514194

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/2/2/14484...er-development

Quote:
Phase one would start with what the developers are calling the “Tenth Avenue Parcel between West 35th and West 36th Streets,” where they wish to build a 415,000-square foot, mixed-use building with 400 apartments set atop nearly 75,000 square feet of office and retail space.

Phase two, which would rise directly next door on the “Hudson Boulevard Parcel,” would see the construction of a roughly 950,000-square-foot office tower overlooking Hudson Boulevard Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive