HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:58 PM

Pedestrian Scrambles in HRM

This has been mentioned before from time-to-time on the forum before but I was wondering who would support a pedestrian at some intersections in HRM.

The article below provides some good examples of where a scramble could work excellently and I'd like to highlight that few people pay attention the the pedestrian lights on Spring Garden Road.

Halifax needs a pedestrian scramble
By Jake Schabas // 6 Comments

HALIFAX - I've watched with joy as cities around the world have embraced pedestrian culture. From one side of the globe to the other, cities have been implementing 'pedestrian scrambles'—intersections where all car traffic is stopped and pedestrians are allowed to cross in any direction without fear of being hit. First known as a Barnes dance, these crossings now grace the streets of Auckland, Tokyo, Kansas City, London and Toronto to name only a few.

About a month ago, Joshua Biggley posted on Charlottetown's recent steps towards getting the first pedestrian scramble in Atlantic Canada. While I applaud their initiative, it strikes me as odd that in Halifax, the region's biggest city, scrambles haven't even been mentioned. So it got me thinking, if Halifax was to get a pedestrian scramble, where would it go?

Spring Garden and Dresden Row
Arguably the most frequented intersection in the city, this thoroughfare would likely be the ideal location a first pedestrian scramble. [ view ]

Robie Street, Quinpool Road, Cogswell Street and Bell Road (pictured above)
Maybe this is a little too ambitious, but what about installing a seasonal pedestrian crossing to help connect the Common to Quinpool Road. Currently, it's not too much of a stretch to say this intersection is one of the most pedestrian un-friendly in the city. Throwing down some painted stripes and enabling pedestrians to cross the street in any direction all at one time could demonstrate the added safety benefits a scramble would bring, while also potentially providing tentative cyclists a way across the otherwise forbidding intersection (although this would have to be written into the by-law). [ view ]

Pizza Corner (Grafton and Blowers Streets)
Already a bit of an unofficial scramble, putting an official pedestrian scramble here might not only be the easiest way to introduce pedestrian scrambles to Atlantic Canada, but it could be a good way of getting similarly developed intersections scrambles of their own. [ view ]

Barrington Street
There are a whole number of spots on Barrington that could benefit from pedestrian scrambles. Either at Sackville, Prince, Blowers or possibly even at Morris Street, putting in this kind of infrastructure could really inject a little life into the currently shuttered sidewalks of much of Halifax's downtown main street. [ view ]

photo by Lawrence Plug

Here's a link to the original article

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:06 AM

One of those at the Willow Tree is a ridiculously bad idea.

You already have one at SGR and Queen since pedestrians ignore the traffic signals there and just walk randomly into traffic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Seems like a huge stretch to think that a pedestrian scramble would "inject life" into an area. All it does is make it slightly more convenient for pedestrians.

They're kind of trendy now. I've seen them in New York and Toronto and they seem fine. I could see them being included in streetscaping projects for Spring Garden Road and Barrington.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One of those at the Willow Tree is a ridiculously bad idea.

You already have one at SGR and Queen since pedestrians ignore the traffic signals there and just walk randomly into traffic.
Actually, in terms of clueing in motorists that isn't such a bad spot because no one can make a right hand turn there on red as it is so there would be few cars trying to inch anywhere when the scramble came on. The only right hand turns that happen on red are Quinpool to Robie and Robie to Quinpool. The issue of course would be building in the time to allow pedestrians to cross without completely gridlocking motorists.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:52 AM

For me the Willow Tree would be too dangerous for a scramble.

However further up Robie at North would work I believe. Its a small intersection, heavy traffic and pedestrian loads, no-left turns and from my experience few right-turns and its in a fastly densifying neighbourhood. It could be installed along with one at North and Agricola to synchronize the traffic and pedestrian flows better. One could even make an argument to allow cyclists left-hand turns during the pedestrian scramble.

EDIT: I just thought of a brilliant one! Lower Water @ George.

In the Summer and Fall it is a very busy intersection with tourists. Its just off the water and George Street is one-way down the hill. One side of the intersection is almost traffic free (cul-de-sac parking), and Lower Water should be one-way northbound. During the busy season it is packed with pedestrians and even in the colder months people use it because of the bus/ferry terminal, parking garage, law courts, and its proximity to the financial district. It's the only stoplight on Lower Water Street and installation could coinside with the deisgnation of Lower Water as one-way northbound. Construction of Waterside Centre will pick-up pedestrian flow in the area and its current designation as a truck route makes a pedestrian scramble even more sensible for safety reasons. Only four signs would be required (three 'No Rights on Red' and one 'No Left on Red').

Last edited by Dmajackson; Nov 25, 2009 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 8:31 PM

Nevermind

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Nevermind
Ok.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 4:00 PM

We have two of them in Calgary in the Eau Claire market area. I find they are fun, but the signage to tell people what to do could be improved.

We did them as an experiment - I don't see why Halifax couldn't try one on either side of the harbour and see how well it works? If Spring Garden and Queen is pretty crazy - then I'd say maybe at the next set of lights on Spring Garden Road (by HMV). Why not the main lights by the Dartmouth Library too?

Try it and see how it works - then if it works out; let them stay.

I will say this for the Eau Claire examples: The area is pretty dead on the weekend so it's okay; but during the day with the office workers (especially during festivals or nice days); those things get busy!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:33 AM

I really like this idea. Nothing gets me more angry than having to yield to cars when walking around spring garden or anywhere downtown where there are no skyways. In fact today I missed my bus because I was stuck on the other side of the street waiting for the light to change and the "walk" signal. None of them are actually there to shop. They are just driving through!!

To be honest they should have turned that shopping area of spring garden into a pedestrian mall long ago. From star bucks all the way to the lord nelson. But this idea is alot cheaper and faster I guess. And it will put Halifax's impatient drivers in their place!

They need to have them all down the busy retail area of spring garden and the bottom in front of Maritime Center and in the intersection of Duke and Barrington. Right now I have to use the skyways just to pass that intersection. (which I would still do anyway on the wet/cold/hot days.) Maybe also have one between City Center Atlantic and the Dresden row entrance to Park Lane.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
I really like this idea. Nothing gets me more angry than having to yield to cars when walking around spring garden or anywhere downtown where there are no skyways. In fact today I missed my bus because I was stuck on the other side of the street waiting for the light to change and the "walk" signal. None of them are actually there to shop. They are just driving through!!

To be honest they should have turned that shopping area of spring garden into a pedestrian mall long ago. From star bucks all the way to the lord nelson. But this idea is alot cheaper and faster I guess. And it will put Halifax's impatient drivers in their place!

They need to have them all down the busy retail area of spring garden and the bottom in front of Maritime Center and in the intersection of Duke and Barrington. Right now I have to use the skyways just to pass that intersection. (which I would still do anyway on the wet/cold/hot days.) Maybe also have one between City Center Atlantic and the Dresden row entrance to Park Lane.
So you want one at Maritime Centre, one at Queen (where the new library would go) another at HMV/City Centre Atlantic (Dresdon Row) and then one at the Public Gardens? I just want to make sure I understand you...

Personally, I think going full hog might be overkill at first, especially considering the amount of bus traffic there too. The one downside to a scramble is that if you don't catch the light at the right time - you (as a driver or a pedestrian) have to wait an extra cycle.

Perhaps starting out with the one at Queen or say Dresdon Row would be a good experiment and then expand it?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 8:48 PM

They have a lot of them in Australia, I really liked the idea. Usually the scrambles are around transit hubs like a train station or a tram stop, so I think the best spot would be the intersection of Duke and Barrington. Personally, the one I would use the most would be at Queen and Spring Garden because of the coffee shops located kitty corner to each other.

Eric

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjonsson View Post
They have a lot of them in Australia, I really liked the idea. Usually the scrambles are around transit hubs like a train station or a tram stop, so I think the best spot would be the intersection of Duke and Barrington. Personally, the one I would use the most would be at Queen and Spring Garden because of the coffee shops located kitty corner to each other.

Eric

Well, almost no pedestrians using that corner pay attention to the walk/don't walk signals at SGR and Queen anyway, so you already have a scramble of sorts there now. The only difference is that it has cars trying to get through the intersection at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:43 AM

Haha, Agreed. Now we just need the wonderful drivers of Montreal to come and teach us Haligonians how to disrespect our pedestrians lol... Then there will be a clear need for scrambles haha

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
So you want one at Maritime Centre, one at Queen (where the new library would go) another at HMV/City Centre Atlantic (Dresdon Row) and then one at the Public Gardens? I just want to make sure I understand you...

Personally, I think going full hog might be overkill at first, especially considering the amount of bus traffic there too. The one downside to a scramble is that if you don't catch the light at the right time - you (as a driver or a pedestrian) have to wait an extra cycle.

Perhaps starting out with the one at Queen or say Dresdon Row would be a good experiment and then expand it?
Not the intersection of spring and south park. There are no stores on the Gardens side of the street to go to. So a scramble would be unnecessary there. And the scrambles would still be better because you would be able to cross diagonally. Say you were on the Second cup corner and wanted to go to starbucks. You would have to wait twice to get there. A scramble would allow you to go straight to your destination rather than cross once, and then have to wait and cross again.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 5:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Say you were on the Second cup corner and wanted to go to starbucks. You would have to wait twice to get there. A scramble would allow you to go straight to your destination rather than cross once, and then have to wait and cross again.
In practice this isn't much better with scrambles than it is with lights on a quick cycling period timed for pedestrians. If you're on the corner with a conventional set of lights you can go either direction at first, and one of them will be green (or yellow, which is a short wait). Once you cross, the light will cycle and you can get to your final corner almost right away. The distance walked is greater but with a scramble you might also wait for the pedestrian crossing.

Spring Garden and Queen is going to be a very busy intersection once the new library is completed. I think I read at one point that they're considering more traffic signals nearby, maybe at Morris and Queen where there's currently a four way stop?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Spring Garden and Queen is going to be a very busy intersection once the new library is completed. I think I read at one point that they're considering more traffic signals nearby, maybe at Morris and Queen where there's currently a four way stop?
Stop? People are supposed to stop there? Haha! Have never seen that, lol.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 6:30 PM

What about at South Park and Spring Garden? You have the parks on two sides and then commercial on the other two?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues