HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Spec travelled on the bus for over 3 hours taking pictures and asking questions. So my Grandpa will be on the newspaper perhaps Saturday's edition.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

Well they are at it in two weeks they, perhaps Bratina, should propose a 5 year moratorium on transit fares.

Bus fare hike isn't sitting well

November 30, 2007
Nicole Macintyre and Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 30, 2007)

Transit advocates are reeling in the wake of council's confirmation of the second approved fare hike this year.

"I was extremely disappointed," said poverty advocate Tom Cooper, who led a one-day e-mail and phone campaign trying to delay the decision.

"I think they made a mistake in bumping up the fare."

In a 9-6 vote, councillors agreed to raise fares 15 cents to $2.40 for a cash fare or $1.85 for a ticket. Adult monthly passes will increase $8. The hikes take effect Jan. 1.

Councillor Brian McHattie was openly disgusted that his colleagues wouldn't entertain his proposal to split the increase between taxpayers and transit users. "I think it's incredibly wrong-headed," he said after the meeting.

"Council is not dedicated to transit."

But supporters of the fare increase argue city taxpayers just can't handle any more increases to improve transit. Mayor Fred Eisenberger said the hike is reasonable given that it also comes with new route expansions.

"I think we're hitting a home run here in terms of balance."

Councillor Brad Clark was upset that council refused to delay the decision after a flood of e-mails and phone calls but agreed to defer a decision over development fees after just one letter from builders.

The debate over who should fund transit is set to divide councillors again in two weeks when Councillor Sam Merulla brings forward his motion asking staff to investigate the feasibility of making buses free by putting the entire cost on the general tax levy.

He said the city's new affordable pass program won't go far enough to help the city's working poor. "That's like throwing a match onto a glacier."

Peter Hutton of Hamilton Transit Users Group said the increase may seem small, but it will be enough to push some users off the bus.

"It puts transit beyond the reach of a lot of people -- the most vulnerable people. They can't participate as equal citizens."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The debate over who should fund transit is set to divide councillors again in two weeks when Councillor Sam Merulla brings forward his motion asking staff to investigate the feasibility of making buses free by putting the entire cost on the general tax levy.
You know, I know "city-like" establishments that have this... they're called Universities. And no one there bitches b/c most students are progressive and understand the importance of Public Transit.

To my knowledge, both Mac & Brock have "free" yearly bus passes to their students. The only thing is, the cost is automatically included in their tuition w/ no Opt-Out option.

If it works for them, why couldn't it work for a city of 505,000 people? Maybe not 100% subsidised, but at least something/ANYTHING!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

When I was watching the debate on Cable 14 Merulla mentioned Edmonton's approach which is free public transit during rush hour only. So that's probably what he'll propose.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 3:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
When I was watching the debate on Cable 14 Merulla mentioned Edmonton's approach which is free public transit during rush hour only. So that's probably what he'll propose.
The C-Train in Calgary is also free downtown as well, isn't it?
If only our province were as rich! haha

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 4:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

What's the dilly-o with the Eastgate transit terminal? Update!! Is it all done yet?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 8:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Haha yea that's my Grandpa!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 9:35 PM
Closed account

here's an interesting submission I found on RaisetheHammer from Bratina:

By Bob Bratina
Posted 12/1/2007 4:45:42 PM

You failed to mention my motion at Council to reduce the fare to 2 dollars as part of a two year pilot program to see if indeed ridership increases, which is what we should all be working toward. Although my motion was withdrawn due to the inability of some councillors to understand the idea, the work will continue. I received a commitment from transit staff on Thursday, the day after the unfortunate Council meeting, to survey communities where transit fares have been reduced and see what effect it had on ridership. If the review indicates a positive result in terms of increased ridership, then I will bring forward the proposal again to REDUCE fares. You may also be interested in the Downtown Transit Terminal matter. Staff wants to build a 12 to 15 million dollar terminal beside the Piggott Building. I am proposing an alternative hybrid approach using the current McNab Street facility and the GO Station on Hunter Street. This would get the buses off the Gore as well, at amuch less cost.. perhaps a million or 2. This would free up $10 million dollars earmarked for the Piggott terminal to be used for.........can you think of a good use for $10 million? How about the beginnings of a light rail system? As a member of the GO Transit board I also received a commitment from the CEO to work for more GO train service to Hamilton at James Street North, and invite VIA to use the facilities, platform, ticketing, etc., to reinstate VIA service to Hamilton. You may be aware of the $3 million dollars allocated to that project by the GTTA, based on our submission to them.
Bob Bratina,
Councillor, Ward 2.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:41 AM
Hammer'd

Great to see Bob is active in our communities online. Also good to read about the downtown terminal and that he is on board with light rail. One of the few good councillors and he catches so much bull for it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:19 PM
Closed account

Wow... I'm actually really impressed that he's reading raisethehammer.org So now we KNOW he's listening. I feel so comforted.
However he is one voice in a sea of idiots.

But at least we have a member on council who knows what Light Rail is. Hopefully he can educate the rest of his colleagues. *prays for Bob*

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:46 PM

What is up with Hamilton Light Rails's web site? It has not been updated since September 25th. There are no ninutes to the November 20th meeting on the site yet. If you want to generate excitement you have to keep adding or people will stop checking.

http://www.hamiltonlightrail.com/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 9:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

For Dec 12th council meeting a motion will be made.....

Feasibility of Provide Full or Partial Free Transit to Hamilton Residents

That staff be directed to investigate the feasibility and impacts of the costs for the entire public transit system being paid for by the general levy in order to provide free public transit to the citizens of Hamilton and report back to the Emergency & Community Services Committee.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 9:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Also on Dec 18th the City and VIA will be having a meeting to discuss a VIA station location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:27 AM
It's Hammer Time

Do you guys think HSR will have automated stop announcements in the future? GPS hooked on buses to track a bus?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hammer'd

Nope. The TTC didn't do it until many complaints were put forward and they were still pretty reluctant. I don't think the HSR can afford to implement a feature that hasn't even been requested (as far as I've heard).

The GPS is pretty unlikely as well. A feature the TTC is just looking into now (and I think VIVA is the only other transit system in Ontario to use it).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Guelph and Thunder Bay both have the GPS on buses now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:44 PM

LRT on Main Street - what I'd like to see

I came upon this conceptual drawing earlier today. Wouldn't it be amazing if this was an aerial of Main Street?

This is a rendering of how TTC envisions the dedicated transit line for Toronto's Cherry Street. It also is exactly how I would like to see Main Street in Hamilton transformed. Heck, I'd even be happy with retaining one-way traffic on Main, so long as it is reduced to three lanes and has a dedicated LRT running along the south side of the road. Comments?

Link to the TTC report

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 6:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks great. Though wouldn't the East-West transit corridor only have one transit lane for Main St from McMaster to the Delta square - East bound? And one transit lane along King St - West bound? Instead of two transit lanes for Main St?

Eventually after when King and Main hooks up at the Delta that'll be two transit lanes to Eastgate.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 7:57 PM

Personally in my minds eye I always pictured an LRT system in Hamilton looking much like the picture that Mark posted, only with main still being one way East bound.

Just because Main is east bound and King is West bound doesn't mean an LRT system has to follow the direction of car traffic. Why not have both east and west LRT lines on Main St?

I'm not too familiar with how an efficient public transit system works so maybe someone could tell me if the following is a good idea.

Two main LRT lines in Hamilton, East - West on Main from Mac to Eastgate. North south on James - West 5th - Jog over on Mohawk to Upper James and out towards the Airport.

The bus services in Hamilton would then be relegated basically to picking up people from bus stops further from LRT stations and bringing them to the stations to take the LRT.

There would of course be some Bus Rapid Trasit Lines that travel East - West Like along Barton to Centre Mall, Delta along King to stoney creek, Along Stone church to Meadowlands and east to RHVP.

So if for example you lived by East Gate and wanted to go to meadow lands you would take the LRT to the downtown station, get on the North south LRT to Stonechurch station and take the BRT to Meadowlands.

Does that work? do other cities do something like this successfully? Forgive me, for I am but a young Northern boy from a small town recently moved to hamilton in the last 5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure