HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 1:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Wow! I did not realize that construction of the actual building, as opposed to infrastructure, was starting.
It's supposed to be above street level like towers 2 and 3 next year, (although the towers are already peeking above ground). What's shown there will actually be the open space between the retail portions of towers 2 and 3, the station itself will actually be on the other side of Greenwhich (also known as PATH Hall).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 2:33 AM

IMG_3726.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3702.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 2:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Three towers...

pguillaud

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Three towers...

pguillaud

Curious to see in this picture the South Pool clearly was not running when the photo was taken. Have there been maintenance issues with the pools since the opening?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 2:06 AM
Frigidus Maximus

is there gonna be a lightning rod on this tower? Maybe we need to add a few feet to account for it??

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
is there gonna be a lightning rod on this tower? Maybe we need to add a few feet to account for it??
Actually something I've been wondering. WTC1 needs the big rod because of the spire filled with electronic gear and antennas connected to really expensive radios. You can't keep all the lightning off of the delicate stuff, but the rod will channel most of it.
If they don't garbage up WTC2 with a bunch of ugly antennas the peak of building frame might do the job.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

IMG_3726.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3702.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr
What's up with that gray paint on the tops of the vertical beams? That wouldn't by any chance be "weatherproof the exposed steel while construction stops for a year or two" paint, would it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Actually something I've been wondering. WTC1 needs the big rod because of the spire filled with electronic gear and antennas connected to really expensive radios. You can't keep all the lightning off of the delicate stuff, but the rod will channel most of it.
If they don't garbage up WTC2 with a bunch of ugly antennas the peak of building frame might do the job.

Jeez. I thought STR cleared this up- the spire itself is now taller. The 1787 ft number does NOT include the lighting rod.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 1:08 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Jeez. I thought STR cleared this up- the spire itself is now taller. The 1787 ft number does NOT include the lighting rod.
Glad to see at least one person around here actually reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
It's the 3rd highest perch in the city. Expect it to be crammed with gear at some point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:01 AM

New World Trade Center Construction UPDATE (Oct 9, 2011)

Hi Guys! This is the footage I shot yesterday while I was at the New World Trade Center Site. I still have alot more footage to edit & then post. Please subscribe to my channel. Thanks! :-) -Greg (IntoTheLens827).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SjvUv6wsCA" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
We know they at least flirted with the idea of an extension...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 4:24 PM

The tops of the beams aren't painted, they're actually small extensions to bring all of the beams to level for the lobby floor. Because of the slope of the site, the beams on the west side had been "shorter" than the ones on the east side.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:16 PM

Joe Woolhead (wtc.com)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Sweet, sweet, steel and concrete...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 2:20 AM

Joe Woolhead

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 2:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The slenderness of tower 2...(Image of the model taken from)
http://english.cntv.cn/20110908/105873.shtml

Less so from this angle...

redwingx

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:43 PM

I went to Open House York this weekend with tours at the memorial and 7WTC and got a few interesting bits of info. According to the marketing rep from Silverstein:

1) They anticipate streets being done in 2013 in time for 4WTC to open (1 WTC won't open until 2014)

2) If financing goes according to plan, towers 3 & 4 will be done in 2015, though she didn't give any hint as to whether there are any prospective tenants lining up

3) Podiums are definitely being built for both towers. They are being reviewed by architects to figure out how to cap the podiums if need be so that retail can be accessible (she made a comparison to PA bus terminal. Yikes.)

4) Tower 2 is not currently undergoing a redesign like tower 3 did.

5) The pyramid frame atop tower 2 is meant to be enclosed in glass even though it doesn't look it in the renderings. (I asked because the floor to ceiling model had the tip clad in plexi)

Now as a disclaimer, these things aren't out of the mouth of Larry, but since it was a marketing rep, I would trust that this is the info they're telling prospective tenants.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 8:01 PM

No photos to add.....but just wanted to say the amount of work done to this building in the last 5 days is amazing. The concrete & wood & rebar put down in this time is mind boggling. It seems like they finished almost 1 basement floor already. I've looked at Earthcam about 10 times a day and I'm amazed how much they do in one day. I reallllllllly hope they find tenants for this building. It would be a shame for them to leave it at street level until they do find some.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:11 PM

Snapshot from Earthcam earlier today.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...er/?cam=tower3

With just the podium stumps I'm assuming they'll rise to where the green stops (assuming they include all retail and mech floors) Yellow is the wood boards they're putting down now, and red is built/in the process of having concrete poured.

Photoshopped from http://www.wtc.com/news/2-world-trade-center-renderings

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:17 PM
West bench livin'

Sims Tower! I miss that little game... :^)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction