HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 12:31 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2016 in Fuzhou, China

Fuzhou is not a major city for foreign tourists, but there is enough for a comfortably-paced itinerary. I had a free flight, and thanks to cheap hotels, it was worth a long weekend.

"Three Lanes and Seven Alleys" is the historic city centre, which has been revitalized although the side alleys are still pleasant for a stroll. Individual buildings are open to the public but each charges its own admission.

However, I avoided the main thoroughfare, which has been transformed into a big shopping mall.

The Double Plum Blossom Study was built around the end of the Ming Dynasty on a north-south axis.

The Former Residence of Chen Shouqi comprises of 4 compounds covering over 1500 sq m.

The Former Residence of Wang Qi was originally a guild hall that was completed in the early Qing Dynasty. Wang was the owner during the early days of the Republic.

I suggest avoiding a visit after lunch. Being the most famous attraction in the city, the alleys do fill up.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the city ...

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/fuzhou.htm

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 11:28 AM
Hong Kong

Fujian Museum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:21 PM

Unreal. Feels like you could spend a lifetime exploring China and not scratch the surface.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Good to see that some historic neighborhoods still exist there. I feel like when I lived in China in 2007 that the people were just realizing the importance of preservation and saving historic neighborhoods so that all Chinese cities didn't look exactly the same.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:32 PM

Very nice set with good historical images. Starbucks?? I wonder if they charge 110% tariff on imported Coffee like they do imported cars/trucks

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:53 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Very nice set with good historical images. Starbucks?? I wonder if they charge 110% tariff on imported Coffee like they do imported cars/trucks
Costs a fortune by local standards but not too much more than in North America.

There was some controversy on their pricing in the Chinese press a few years back : http://www.reuters.com/article/us-st...99K17H20131021

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 11:34 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

interesting! the alleyways themselves (and the cityscape) do not look very attractive. however, when you face a residence and go inside - wow. i would love to visit. i really like places like this where you have to scratch the surface a bit to see its best sides.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 11:30 PM
Hong Kong

Gushan stands 969m tall and is a popular hiking destination for locals and a pilgrimmage spot for Buddhists. It is easily accessible by bus although they are building a new subway station in front of it. For those who don't want to spend half the day walking up, a cable car can do the trip in 20 minutes.

It was markedly cooler up here than back in the city. The fresh cool freeze didn't deter tired hikers from rolling up or taking off their shirts by the time they reached the observation point with wonderful views.

The bus station is just a short walk away just past the arches. Construction for the new subway line continues beyond that.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 5:59 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Great photos and thread. Those blocks of high-rise residential buildings are amazing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 7:23 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Lots of interesting history here. Enjoyable post hk.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos