HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:56 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Ravens are a big noise maker. So are the geese. The train tracks and the bells are not that noisy. You can hardly hear them at night. Sirens are much more present. Don't get many bikers rolling up Argyll near my place but some loud vehicles can be heard. Airplanes fly too high over my house to make much noise.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 2:46 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
^That reminds me of Kuta in Bali.

I can kinda see why but it's way more organized and has colonial vibes same like North America. No sewers running beside the streets like Bali.

I mean other parts of the city look like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/NWi59QNCw4s
https://goo.gl/maps/XrJzCT2p5n72
https://goo.gl/maps/Gpv4DfzR12M2
https://goo.gl/maps/YwN3bXZTq2U2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Well, I find the yappy coyotes annoying at night and also the train whistle from 5 miles or so across the valley.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gree...BnbS3XLl4QQHM:
At one time, I was living on the 38th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis and I had a weekend place, with 15 acres, near 2 rivers 80 miles north.

And which was quieter? Living in the high rise!

Throughout the summer, the weekenders in my area would target shoot for the coming deer season, boom, boom, boom! And let's buy the kiddies dirt bikes which would run across my property, noisy as hell! And, the canoeists would canoe down the river, park themselves at a sand bar, not far from my place, and play loud music on their boom boxes.

Come winter, the screeching snowmobiles, day and night!

And the sounds of nature!

I knew there was hope for noise in big cities when I was in Manhattan, 7 years ago, seeing the signs in the residential neighborhoods: $350 fine for honking your horn!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:34 PM
Ex Houstonian

My girlfriend lives in the middle of exurbia and is surrounded by 15 acres of woods. Living where I live right in the middle of the city on a busy street I get way better sleep then when I go there. The birds are loud as hell, squirrels run across the roof, acorns drop on the roof and sound like hammers, for the past 4 weeks a woodpecker has been banging on the side of the house for about 3 hours in the morning, I can hear the neighbors dog barking in the middle of the night, etc. I usually come back home exhausted from lack of sleep.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:57 PM

One thing I always notice when I visit family in suburbia, is dogs barking. It’s ever present. Little dogs making little barks, big dogs making big barks, some far and quiet, some near and loud… In the city, you very seldom hear the bark of a dog. You see people walking their dogs all over the place – especially around 5 PM when an army of dog walkers pours out into the streets – but, in general, the sound of dogs barking simply isn’t part of the urban soundscape.

As for which is quieter – urban or rural / urban or suburban – I think sometimes it depends on what you’re used to. Sounds you aren’t used to are going to be perceived as louder or more annoying. For instance, I was once visiting some relatives in a small town called Elizabeth, which is pretty far out in the sticks I guess – I'd say about a half-hour drive past the edge of suburbia. Anyway, at one point during dinner, my aunt and my grandmother simultaneously became washed over with some sort of pressing concern. It was like they both received the same telepathic message the rest of us weren’t privy to. “I wonder what’s going on,” my aunt said. All my cousins (who are also urbanites) and I were shaking our heads at each other with furrowed brows like, ‘just what the fuck are these two carrying on about?’ My aunt and my grandmother finally got up from the table and went to a window to examine the horizon. “I think it’s a firetruck! Over on Pine Ridge Road! I wonder if it’s the Peterson’s!” That’s when I finally noticed the faint sound of a siren.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions