HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 2:13 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^It will be an additional third tower. I'm not sure of a starting date.

Here's the MBJ article on it from last summer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...160-rooms.html

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:46 AM

Memphis-area planners consider area around I-269
The alternative is 'haphazard' development
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
As transportation officials and local planners see it, the highway project also will be the catalyst for a whirlwind of development. In an effort to help shape what kind of development occurs, the Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Memphis-Shelby County Office of Sustainability are embarking on studies of the I-269 corridor. The work will deal with land-use, environmental and transportation issues.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...artner=popular

The Commercial Appeal

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:48 PM

Downtown Apts. Finally Under Way
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Construction began recently on the more-than-a-century-old warehouse at the corner of South Front Street and East Nettleton Avenue, after partial demolition commenced last July. The $2.5 million development entails a three-story, 29,000-square-foot building with 5,500 square feet of retail space, 25 apartment units (19 one-bedrooms and six two-bedrooms) and 25 underground parking spaces.

Downtown development is familiar to Smith, having developed the 420 S. Front Condos. And he’s working with business partner Robert Mallory on a $3.2 million loft-style apartment development at 347 S. Front called Printer’s Alley Lofts. That project – for which The Center City Development Corp. approved an $85,000 development loan in March – involves two buildings. The 24,600-square-foot existing structure at Front and Talbot will be revamped to include 20 loft-style apartments. A three-story building will also be constructed in the parking lot to include nine townhome-style units. The building also will have about 750 square feet of ground-floor retail and 17 secured parking spaces.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...lly-under-way/

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:48 PM

Memphis named ‘Most Improved’ for bicycling
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The editors of Rodale Inc.’s Bicycling Magazine Bicycling Magazine Latest from The Business Journals Bicycling up 33 percent in Twin Cities, walking up 17 percentVolcano, wind-power pollution energize DBJ onlineBicycling: 3 Colorado cities among friendliest to bikes Follow this company named Memphis as the “Most Improved City” in its annual Best Bike City in America rankings. Cited as one of the country’s worst cycling cities in both 2008 and 2010, Bicycling noted that Memphis has since hired its first-ever bike-pedestrian coordinator and added 35 miles of new bike lanes, putting the city on track to exceed Mayor A C Wharton’s commitment of building 55 miles of bike facilities by more than 10 miles by the end of this summer.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...roved-for.html

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:49 PM

Bids will soon be solicited for final phase of Beale Street Landing
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The permit is for a river park with landscaping, wood decks, kid’s play area, concrete pavings and landscaped terraces. Dubbed phase 4b, the park enhancements include two guitar pick-shaped islands and an ADA-compliant walkway.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...for-final.html

Image: MBJ

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:08 PM
B-MORE than u strive for!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Bids will soon be solicited for final phase of Beale Street Landing
Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...for-final.html

Image: MBJ
i LOVE me some Beale Street! Love it!

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:10 PM

Grading of Union City Section of I-69 Nearly Done
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
UNION CITY, Tenn. (AP) – The first construction phase of a section of Interstate 69 in northwest Tennessee is ahead of schedule, but funds for the second phase are being held up. The local section of I-69 begins on the Kentucky border at South Fulton and mostly follows U.S. 51 through the Reelfoot Lake region on toward Dyersburg.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...9-nearly-done/

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:45 PM

U of M faculty, students get business collaboration lab
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The University of Memphis is expected to begin a $2 million renovation of a former Masonic Lodge near its campus that will be used as a breeding ground for new business.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-business.html

LRK INC. | COURTESY UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:16 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I went and took a quick photo from the Madison rooftop before I left downtown this afternoon of i-bank's signage going up on One Commerce Square.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I went and took a quick photo from the Madison rooftop before I left downtown this afternoon of i-bank's signage going up on One Commerce Square.
Nice!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 10:14 PM

about a week ago i read about the local investment firm, the boyle company, and its investment strategies, various investment areas, and locations. boyle is a locally owned company, begun by bayard boyle. two sons joined him in the venture, and the boys operate the day to day functions of the company, while mr. boyle comes in to help w/ major decisions, etc.

no doubt this company has been good for memphis, but i found its history interesting, beginning in the early 70's. during the last few years, on various forums, i have noticed comments and questions re: memphis, its apparent relative small downtown, as compared w/ its rather large city proper population, the small skyline, etc. for the most part, many who have commented have little available on which to judge memphis, for most aerial shots and ground shots are taken from the river or standing down under the bluff, on which memphis sits. too, the riverfront covers 5.5 miles of the city front, yet few, if any photos, show a complete view of the city in a pano view. too, the downtown medical center and infill is lost in most of the photos, inheritant because of the positions of the camera and its distance and ht from the desired object, the skyline.

boyle, in its history of memphis development, gives an account for the many buildings that have found their lives in ridgeway trace, and schilling farms, southwind, lennox park, and so many other large corporate parks. according to the history, the parting of many businesses began because of power issues involving about 10 movers and shakers. mr. boyle had a good deal of dislike for abe fogleman and henry turley, along w/ others. there was a final straw moment, in which each went his own way. clark towers was just beginning to be finished, and east memphis was looking more and more as the place to be, due to wealthy executives who lived in the immediate area, and the new office buildings opening and being proposed for these executives, their employees, and, of course, their companies.

consequently, the dual core of memphis developed. what memphians know as the poplar/240 corridor is a major business center. downtown began to lose law firms, dept stores, and many other institutions that the cbd and active downtowns need to thrive. a read of this history, for those interested, will put some things into perspective. personally, i would like to see how downtown memphis would have appeared, had it been sprinkled w/ all of the business complexes, towers, and large businesses existing in the corridor today. too, think of the submarkets that exist, and you really see just how large the citycape would be en masse. memphis, had land been restricted or unavailable would have skyscrapers galore, along w/ a much greater density.

to find the history of boyle investments, simply google, and you will see several headings. it shows that future developments are ahead, some that may, most certainly, be very controversial. i would like to see the inner core of memphis supported by those developers who are able to provide beautiful houses for solid middle income families, to find preservationists who would be willing to undertake neighborhoods, and urban planners who could really plan for strong neighborhoods, w/ the amenities to sustain them.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 10:26 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I love how as soon as I viewed their webpage I saw images of the Memphis and Nashville skyline, yet 95% of their properties and developments are in (far) East Memphis, Germantown, Collierville; and Franklin and Brentwood. Hypocrites. Anyways, I'll have to fully read up on them before I pass judgement, but they look like the typical suburban sprawl kings.

Thanks for pointing this out, kingchef. I'll definitely read up on them some more in the next day or so.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post

Wow how did this miss my ugliest skyscrapers thread?

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:29 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
Probably because it's not really even ugly, just bland and boring. There are thousands of skyscrapers in this world that are just like it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:38 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP
Lol, I don't think its as near as ugly as some of the buildings in your thread, but I thought a few of the buildings in that thread shouldn't have been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Probably because it's not really even ugly, just bland and boring. There are thousands of skyscrapers in this world that are just like it.
The lobby is actually quite nice (designed for banking), but nothing really ever happens in the lobby, but I'm sure that's changed now that i-bank is there. Outside of the lobby, the tower is pretty bland, but its proportions are nice.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:02 PM

Finally...

Southwest, Clear Channel reach deal paving way for construction of nursing building
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Southwest Tennessee Community College Southwest Tennessee Community College Latest from The Business Journals Billboard battle stalls construction at Southwest Community CollegeBillboard battle stalls construction in MemphisA C Wharton touts ambitious plans in State of the City address Follow this company hopes to begin construction in September on its $18.2 million Nursing, Natural Sciences and Biotechnology Building, thanks to a confidential agreement the school has struck with Clear Channel Outdoor to remove two billboards on the site. The school is to be built on 1.28 acres at Union and Myrtle, and construction could be completed by fall 2013. However, the school won’t be able to use the building until the spring semester of 2014, said Ron Parr, vice president of financial and administrative services for Southwest.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...each-deal.html

MBJ

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 9:56 PM

so, (lol) it is going to be built this week, and there is an actual set of plans that can actually be utilized? looking ahead, however, will it pass next week w/ a continued green light? how is that for sarcasm. seriously, most would be lost as a goose in a hail storm at midnight, if they were trying to keep up w/ the project, the plans, the area, etc. finaly, when a working set of plans was decided upon, i was pleasantly surprised. i thought they were the nicest that had ever been shown.

one or 6 comments about the information in the article, nevertheless. it is disappointing to know that students were lost, due to the lack of professionals being able to put the community and these students ahead of what, seemingly, was a really insignificant detail in the over all scheme of things. we talk about wanting to attract this class of people and that class, etc., yet we seem to have no civic leaders who are able to step in and give direction, prodding, encouragement, and a little arm twisting. i realize other schools for these programs are available in memphis; however, it just seems as if this problem could have been anticipated and hashed out, prior to the loss and delay in the project. beale street, same thing. a beautiful project, i'm glad it was not hacked to death, before it was realized as drawn; however, nearly 6 years to get it done. using rising steel prices as one of the primary reasons for cost over runs, councilmen unwilling to accept plans, thus continued redraws and expense, and 6 million dollars for cobblestone work? really? i just think that is where professionals should be consulted and the price tag seriously questioned.

in the end, w/ these and other projects, there seems to be a pattern of not being able to work together, to get things done in a timely manner, to have no anticipation for things in the future, and it undermines the public's confidence in local government. these students didn't have to be lost to construction delays, but some will be, mckesson didn't have to move part of its facilities to olive branch, however, they did because local officials couldn't jump through their own hoops and realize that businesses that are run well consider time management to be critical. the same is true about the recent dressing down that memphis-shelby leadership got about the airport city headqts, the investment made by one of the investors, and his disappointment about the lack of getting things done. again, local leaders. good ideas, perhaps, but no follow through.

the mpo and the aerotropolis vision exist on the internet as they did, after the first mpo meeting. another problem regarding our city---much of the information by IT is outdated, poorly presented, and has little edge to it, by and large. the loss of two more conventions (one of them a music gathering) walks out to other cities, because we don't have enough room for them. these, by and large, are not new problems for memphis. people won't wait, corporations, businesses, and other organizations won't either. we have these opportunities and many of them pass through our fingers, held up by councilmen, a few who think about their best interest, instead of that of the community.

still, i love this city and i want to see it and the region to prosper. so many of our resources are under utilized. the airport seems to be controlled by another city, instead of by our leaders. growth happens in other cities, even though slowed down, but that is no excuse for memphis to sit back and say jet fuel is the problem here. memphis doesn't need to allow everyone in the state of tn or anywhere else to pigeon hole us as to what we need to be or what we are relative to other cities, this state and the world. there comes a time when the phrase "we're on the cuff" about great things gets little credible attention. the payment of consultant groups to do a job, and then failure of the local government officials to follow the recommendations is a bit half-witted and foolish, particularly, when it is applied to the main street mall recommendations.

large amounts of money were spent for recommendations about increasing downtown traffic years ago. the very first thing in the recommendations, if nothing else could be done, traffic on main should immediately revert to two way traffic. what happened. according to the mayor, the city could not afford to spend the 1.5 million that was estimated to put up signal lights and street signage. so, another example of poor listening, poor government, and a failure to correct a problem that everyone knows exists. the same thing is about to happen concerning traffic in south memphis. we all know that it is busy and a mess, but why pay 2.5 million to have that studied over the next two years, just because the federal government is going to pay1.5 million of the study cost, the city will cough up the remaining 1 million. again, a pattern.

if we really knew how much business this area has lost, due to getting up, getting things done, working for the betterment of the community, and cut some of these silly phrases and provide the progress, work, and evidence of productivity, we would be a truly great city.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:51 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Minneapolis makes bid for Pinnacle headquarters
Article from the MBJ
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-pinnacle.html

Didn't Pinnacle just move to downtown from Olive Branch last summer? I know that they're going through bankruptcy, restructuring their operations, their CEO is in some trouble with the SEC or IRS, etc, but seriously, Memphis, especially One Commerce Square doesn't need to lose a tenant.

Pinnacle is about to start flying exclusively for Delta, Delta is continuing to cut Memphis operations, and Minneapolis is a Delta Hub...doesn't look too good.

Delta continues to do Memphis. Lol (Has anyone seen that Facebook of Twitter page?)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:11 PM

if i'm not mistaken, pinnacle actually moved from the airport vicinity to downtown. after the negotiations about the move---either downtown or olive branch or remain where they were at the time---it chose to move downtown, shortly after the ceo or president left the company, another guy took over, and the company disclosed that it had some losses, after it bought out mesaba airlines, minneapolis based, and a small fla arlines. this buy out was partially underwritten w/ a loan from a local bank, it may have been 10 mil or so. pinnacle was trying to avoid bankruptcy, supposedly due to unforeseeable explosive rising fuel cost, as well as other unforeseen cost, as related to their buyouts of the other smaller airlines.

mesaba airline employees wanted an agreement, even though they were absorbed by pinnacle, to remain in minneapolis. this agreement came about before the ultimate recent filing of the bankruptcy. as you may know, pinnacle is under contract to carry for delta, too, delta has filed bankruptcy and reorganization. prior to the current situation w/ pinnacle, their last 4 years have been ones of fabulous growth and profit. reorganizing will set them back some, but they should pull out w/out a protracted outcome. these airlines are really cut throat. pinnacle, in my opinion, may have been the victim of sabotage. the timing for all of these things seems to be a bit suspicious, but i believe they will come out fine and continue to grow. we'll see. i wouldn't be surprised if most of those 2000+ employees for the former mesaba company are moved to memphis, now that so much has transpired. too, in a city that has and is working to upgrade its airport and its re-branding image altogether, memphis is going to have to fight more for what is right for memphis. just because atlanta is building a new terminal it doesn't mean the rest of the southeast suffer w/ poor or inadequate choices in air service. the very purpose of building that huge ground control terminal, reworking the airport, the runways, and improving technical equipment is reportedly directly tied to utilizing the airport round the clock. i hope that is the case, as w/ rail improvement, interstate, and riverway.

btw, does that I-269 look a bit wasteful and too round-about? could it be that the bridge decision has been made to conveniently connect to I-269. to me, that representation of what is supposed to lead away from haphazard development seems to be getting off to a haphazard mapping. this looks as if it could do nothing but cut the entire county in two. industrial development on the south side and market housing on the north side. well, it isn't my state or my dime, but it looks like a potential mess, if this is how it will ultimately be built. any thoughts or opinions by others?

Last edited by kingchef; Jun 3, 2012 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:36 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post

btw, does that I-269 look a bit wasteful and too round-about? could it be that the bridge decision has been made to conveniently connect to I-269. to me, that representation of what is supposed to lead away from haphazard development seems to be getting off to a haphazard mapping. this looks as if it could do nothing but cut the entire county in two. industrial development on the south side and market housing on the north side. well, it isn't my state or my dime, but it looks like a potential mess, if this is how it will ultimately be built. any thoughts or opinions by others?
I kinda scratched my head when I saw the plans too. They're saying that I-269 will spur development, but lets be realistic, what development will be spurred other than maybe a handful of gas stations and a ware house or two. Like you said kingchef, it will split the county in half as far as development, land value, and future zoning. I'm guessing their are certain incentives/ tax breaks associated with where the interstate is specifically going.

And honestly, is anyone going to save any time taking that loop from 69/55 to 40 East anyways. Yes I understand the issue with 240 from Perkins to the I-40/Sam Cooper split, but still, sitting in traffic for 20 minutes seems much better than driving roughly 10-15 miles if not more out of the way.

Also, I haven't read the article in full since it was posted and I can't remember, but will I-55 that runs north through Whitehaven, then I-240 North that runs through the core continue to have the I-69 designations once this is completed?

Last edited by arkitekte; Jun 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations