HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:44 PM

Former Hollywood cinema near the Esplanade Mall sells, to be demolished to make way for 256 apartments:
http://realestate.nola.com/realestat...art_river_home

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboyfloyd View Post
I’m very put off by the exterior of the convention space on Canal. I was thinking maybe they will have some sort of creative signage for the retail below (most likely not considering the city’s sign permitting process), or maybe they would install something to cover it up. Reminds me of those beautiful buildings on upper Canal with the third world retail on the bottom floor with the metal panels over the facade of the four upper floors. It would look better covered in tacky Vegas-style video boards or a strip club advertisement IMO.

As for the interior, major letdown.

Anybody hear what could be holding up the Canopy by Hilton renovation for the Oil and Gas Building?
Well one good thing for the exterior of the jung they got waivers for the signage so they can have alot more than normal .

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 4:31 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Imassuming the building will need some remediation of the project location considering what it is at the moment.
Probably not. Concrete is mostly crushed limestone and sand, with a little bit of portland. There’s nothing in it that we don’t already put in the ground by the truckload, lol. If anything, the piles of material probably acted as a surcharge like on the hospitals or airport terminal, it’s also close to the river so this is probably some of the sturdiest soil in the city at this point.

The only thing would be if they had a fuel tank, that would need to be dug up and treated, but that’s pretty routine.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Probably not. Concrete is mostly crushed limestone and sand, with a little bit of portland. There’s nothing in it that we don’t already put in the ground by the truckload, lol. If anything, the piles of material probably acted as a surcharge like on the hospitals or airport terminal, it’s also close to the river so this is probably some of the sturdiest soil in the city at this point.

The only thing would be if they had a fuel tank, that would need to be dug up and treated, but that’s pretty routine.
Good point

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 4:24 AM

New statue

St. Louis Cathedral unveiled a new marble statue outside facing Jackson Square of Pope John Paul II. The statue is 6 feet tall and sits on top of a 2 foot base (for a total of 8 feet).

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...6a5cb28ae.html

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:03 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Supposed be announced later this month but guess we shall see

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:44 AM

Given that the number called by the reporter answered as the Hard Rock Hotel project, I'd say that is a good sign. Of course, the developer isn't going to say anything about the project until it's officially announced. No shocker there.

I have a feeling the reporters read this forum to get story ideas.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
$10 million in additional funding approved for major transportation project at New Orleans airport

http://www.wdsu.com/article/10-milli...irport/3609174
Tennis, thought you may be interested to know that the full Y-interchange is off the table for new airport access road and Loyola.

To the chagrin of many engineers, the state had narrowed down their interests to the following;

1. A near carbon copy of the current Airport Access Rd/I-10 ramp.
2. A DDI with flyovers provided for traffic to/from the city.
3. DOTD’s favorite, a cloverleaf. (picture Williams/I-10 with more loops)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:11 AM

Small project, but saw construction today at the old church on S Jeff Davis a couple blocks off Canal. There was a small old apartment building next door that they wanted to tear down, and when I passed by today there was a bulldozer on site and the building had been leveled.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:59 AM

I prefer the diverging diamond interchange with the flyover ramps. Those diverging diamonds can move a ton of traffic. Have used them frequently near where my brother lives. I think they would require the least amount of right of way acquisition which should keep costs for the project down.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administr...Slide_Show.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:13 PM

Developer plans a 345-unit apartment complex for Algiers riverfront

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...art_river_home

Developer plans a 345-unit apartment complex for Algiers riverfront

Developers are angling to erect a large apartment complex on the bank of the Mississippi River in Algiers complete with hundreds of market-rate units, a share of affordable housing, shops, parking garages, a plaza and a public park.

Plans call for four 8-story buildings packed with seven floors of apartments totaling 345 units - 35 of which would be slated to qualifying low-income residents - plus ground-floor retail space. It would be set on 3.4 acres of land in Algiers' Riverview neighborhood, tucked near the Crescent City Connection bridge and bounded along the riverfront by Socrates and De Armas streets.

Along with parking garages, the proposed complex would also come with a pedestrian plaza and public park to unlock certain zoning waivers restricting heights and housing unit density along the riverfront. The project's backers also tout the addition of more affordable housing stock for New Orleans via the 35 low-income
units

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:14 PM
TL;DR

What is this crap? It doesn't look like the other renderings. Hopefully it's just a rejected design.

This is out of the Algiers Point district by two blocks, so no HDLC review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What is this crap? It doesn't look like the other renderings. Hopefully it's just a rejected design.

This is out of the Algiers Point district by two blocks, so no HDLC review.
That's an old rendering from September. This is the scaled down rendering released last month. Definitely an improvement in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:22 PM

Another update - I saw a large construction trailer placed at the site of the Parkway Apartments project at S. Jeff Davis and Washington. Hopefully that is finally moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:13 PM
-

Im not in nola right now but my friend said he saw them pile driving at the hard rock site today

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:49 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Im not in nola right now but my friend said he saw them pile driving at the hard rock site today
I noticed yesterday there were new bulldozers and the site had been cleared.. again.. We'll see if that means anything

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I noticed yesterday there were new bulldozers and the site had been cleared.. again.. We'll see if that means anything
I wonder if that's just a minimum of activity to keep the construction permits from expiring - I think they were set to expire this week. I don't think I'll believe in this project until the doors open to the public!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:01 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I wonder if that's just a minimum of activity to keep the construction permits from expiring - I think they were set to expire this week. I don't think I'll believe in this project until the doors open to the public!
lol exactly

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
But piledriving ? Thats seems like a lot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations