HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Tulane is doing a big PR push today for it too: http://news.tulane.edu/pr/freeman-sc...trepreneurship. It says their portion will have space for 240 students and 19 faculty/staff offices and will open in January 2019. Interesting tidbit that 35,000 people work within walking distance of the building.
I dont know why but I have a gut feeling this endeavor is going to be extremely successful, and could become a mini campus in that area. Tulanes involvement really lends major credentials to the project as well as affiliations with Culinary Institute of America. The local industry has needed something like this but I can see many people nationally and internationally being trained there. Could be a huge source of exporting ourculture and cuisine all over the world

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:53 PM
-

VUE Nola opens midle of next month (you can see the glass railing going up on the rooftop of the pic below)

http://vuenola.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 16, 2018 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 11:54 PM

Another Parkway update - pile driver and other equipment is onsite and work is picking up. Nice to see this area getting more residential.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:08 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Another Parkway update - pile driver and other equipment is onsite and work is picking up. Nice to see this area getting more residential.
Pics or it didn’t happen!

If you can take pics try to

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:42 PM
-

4600 Magazine St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: SCPJB5
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Brooks Graham
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Expansion of an existing business into the adjacent tenant space. Work shall include: new single fixture toilet room,storage room with ice machine, additional seating, new light fixtures, and new finishes. The existing business is 2,798 s.f., the expansion area is 895 s.f., for total area of 3,693 s.f.

Plans for a new culinary school get rolling, and some in New Orleans call it a game changer

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...ce984801f.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:44 PM
-

Coffee Whiz Will Revive Some Kaldi’s Coffee Drinks At Coffee Science

https://nola.eater.com/2018/1/16/168...w-orleans-nola

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:18 PM

Amazon narrows list for HQ2 to 20 metropolitan areas

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -0.17% announced Thursday a short-list of 20 metropolitan areas that it has chosen to move to the next phase of the selection process for the e-commerce giant's second headquarters, or HQ2. Amazon said it narrowed the list from the 238 communities that submitted proposals. The areas that made the list, in alphabetical orders: Atlanta; Austin; Boston; Chicago; Columbus; Dallas; Denver; Indianapolis; Los Angeles; Miami; Montgomergy County, Maryland; Nashville; Newark, NJ; New York City; Northern Virginia; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Raleigh, NC; Toronto; and Washington, D.C.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...eas-2018-01-18

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Amazon narrows list for HQ2 to 20 metropolitan areas

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -0.17% announced Thursday a short-list of 20 metropolitan areas that it has chosen to move to the next phase of the selection process for the e-commerce giant's second headquarters, or HQ2. Amazon said it narrowed the list from the 238 communities that submitted proposals. The areas that made the list, in alphabetical orders: Atlanta; Austin; Boston; Chicago; Columbus; Dallas; Denver; Indianapolis; Los Angeles; Miami; Montgomergy County, Maryland; Nashville; Newark, NJ; New York City; Northern Virginia; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Raleigh, NC; Toronto; and Washington, D.C.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...eas-2018-01-18
I get the impression that they already have a clear Top 5, and this list is to:

1) Get some people to up their offers and drive the incentives up
2) Pay respects to those who are trying to the hardest (unsuccessfully) to lure them and thereby driving up the incentives they will eventually get. The Indiana delegation's incentive plan must be mind blowing to get Indianapolis on there.
3) Bezos has an amazing ego to stay in the news cycle for this kind of stunt.

No one really thought NO/BR would get it. DXC is a big enough leap for a small economy with relatively little IT or corporate talent. I'm afraid the incentives for Amazon will be something only North Carolina, N. Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, or Ontario can afford while simultaneously offering established tech talent pool to feed this office that won't demand NYC or Boston-level salaries.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
I get the impression that they already have a clear Top 5, and this list is to:

1) Get some people to up their offers and drive the incentives up
2) Pay respects to those who are trying to the hardest (unsuccessfully) to lure them and thereby driving up the incentives they will eventually get. The Indiana delegation's incentive plan must be mind blowing to get Indianapolis on there.
3) Bezos has an amazing ego to stay in the news cycle for this kind of stunt.

No one really thought NO/BR would get it. DXC is a big enough leap for a small economy with relatively little IT or corporate talent. I'm afraid the incentives for Amazon will be something only North Carolina, N. Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, or Ontario can afford while simultaneously offering established tech talent pool to feed this office that won't demand NYC or Boston-level salaries.
Its pretty clear he wants an east coast location.. my bet is it ends up in dc suburbs or philly... maybe atlanta ... but i think Philly because its midpoint between dc and nyc

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its pretty clear he wants an east coast location.. my bet is it ends up in dc suburbs or philly... maybe atlanta ... but i think Philly because its midpoint between dc and nyc
Philly would make sense too considering it's much cheaper than other Eastern seaboard metro areas these days while having Penn State and UPenn to provide talent. I just wonder if Pennsylvania will be as aggressive as one of the sunbelt states with their incentives.

Overall, I'd be shocked if the their HQ2 didn't end up in the Eastern Time Zone...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Philly would make sense too considering it's much cheaper than other Eastern seaboard metro areas these days while having Penn State and UPenn to provide talent. I just wonder if Pennsylvania will be as aggressive as one of the sunbelt states with their incentives.

Overall, I'd be shocked if the their HQ2 didn't end up in the Eastern Time Zone...
All the other cities are just a way for Bezos to get more incentives and attention. I could see Bezos getting his own giant compound like small city in Newark or Long Island City area too.

BTW i saw the state approved 600 million dollars in additional roadwork including the I-10 interchange by airport. DO we know at this point which plan they are going with? the cost differential between the different options is quite extreme.

$600M In Louisiana Interstate Projects Moving Toward Reality

http://www.bizneworleans.com/January...oward-Reality/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:42 PM
-

New Office Building Going up On Harrison In Lakeview:

I noticed the development site for lease signs are off the fence now at The Feil Property on Tulane Ave

United Refrigeration Warehouse
745 S Galvez St·Stormwater Management · Project #SW002-18 ·Ref Code: H4NYMG
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Stormwater Management
Applicant:
Ernest Verges
Application Docketed
Date Filed:
1/8/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Stormwater plan for site greater than one acre in size.

2001 Bienville Ave·Demolition ·Ref Code: F4G15F
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Ernest Verges II
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/11/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Demolish to grade an existing Orleans Parish School as per owner’s request and HDLC approval.

4600 Magazine St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: SCPJB5
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Brooks Graham
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Combine 895 sq ft vacant commercial suite with existing 2798 sq ft specialty restaurant as per plans.

533 Iberville St, 537 iberville·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: GU8C4K
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Richard Choate
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate 2 vacant 6-story structures into 17-unit multi-family dwelling as per plans: ground floor - lobby and parking; 2nd to 5th floors - 4 apts each; 6th floor - 1 apt

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:50 PM
-

Mano Lito (this bar is too cute)

508 Dumaine St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Permit #18-01662-RNVN ·Ref Code: DMLKPF

Download (8) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Rick Lord
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
1/16/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of a 540 sq ft restaurant. Work to include electrical, plumbing, finishes with drywall,

400 Lafayette St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: CWN1T8
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Craig Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/16/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Exterior changes and repairs as per plans.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:30 AM

I must have missed the plans for the new office building on Harrison Ave., and I can't find it online.

What is that new building, and where is it on Harrison?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:46 AM

I do know the airport interchange will be a design/build project to speed up the construction timeline, and that 110 million is the projected cost of the project. Not sure which design will be the one picked though.

As far as Amazon, whomever hands over the biggest bags of money will likely be the winner among the 5 or so cities at the top of the list. I'm glad we landed DXC instead. The success of that will help establish to other companies that offices can be open here. Honestly, I'd rather have 5 or 10 DXC type deals then one Amazon type deal. If that one company folds or is bought out, the HQ2 city may end up getting screwed. This is especially true of a smaller metro where Amazon will be the biggest fish in a small pond. No one can say how long a company will be around. At least with several different companies, the risk is more spread out if one company closes shop.

Last edited by SlidellWx; Jan 19, 2018 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I do know the airport interchange will be a design/build project to speed up the construction timeline, and that 110 million is the projected cost of the project. Not sure which design will be the one picked though.

As far as Amazon, whomever hands over the biggest bags of money will likely be the winner among the 5 or so cities at the top of the list. I'm glad we landed DXC instead. The success of that will help establish to other companies that offices can be open here. Honestly, I'd rather have 5 or 10 DXC type deals then one Amazon type deal. If that one company folds or is bought out, the HQ2 city may end up getting screwed. This is especially true of a smaller metro where Amazon will be the biggest fish in a small pond. No one can say how long a company will be around. At least with several different companies, the risk is more spread out if one company closes shop.

you arent kidding... thats a lot of eggs in one basket!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
So are you thinking they will have to bulldoze that 7 story hotel?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I must have missed the plans for the new office building on Harrison Ave., and I can't find it online.

What is that new building, and where is it on Harrison?
Its across from restaurant we are building at 117 west harrison .. so im assuming the address is like 118 w harrison or so ..

its a three story office building!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:18 PM
-

1031 Canal St, Temp A·Construction Loop ·Ref Code: 7XB6AC
Type:
Construction Loop
Applicant:
Timothy Samuel Blanchard
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/16/2018
Closed:
No
Description
1,200 amp, 120/208v underground, (2) 200 amp circuits for tower cranes. Building permit 13-43016-NEWC

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:50 PM

[QUOTE=tennis1400;8053091]1031 Canal St, Temp A·Construction Loop ·Ref Code: 7XB6AC
Type:
Construction Loop
Applicant:
Timothy Samuel Blanchard
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
1/16/2018
Closed:
No
Description
1,200 amp, 120/208v underground, (2) 200 amp circuits for tower cranes. Building permit 13-43016-NEWC

Not sure if 1031 Canal will be strictly hotel rooms, but the link below is a video from Dec 2016 of a penthouse condo. Looks nice.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/21263...e=0&portrait=0

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations