HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I mean in a few years, whether or not all these boutiques can actually move enough product to pay the rent. Honestly the area just doesn't have high pedestrian activity the way Lincoln Park or Lakeview do, so I'm just skeptical of the economics is all. Clearly right now agglomeration is in play, as each incremental boutique is trying to co-locate to get the same shoppers as the others, I'm just unconvinced that the volume is there in that location.
I would suggest you head over to the North/Milwaukee/Damen area some Saturday. The foot traffic in Bucktown for that general area is absolutely obscene. It's got a lot of restaurants and bars like Absinth, Feast, Northside and Silver Cloud that are reasonably priced and great hangouts, so the draw is always there. And the retail market there is as good as it gets. Hoteliers on Michigan are sending guests who are looking to shop over to Bucktown specifically for the boutiques, so it is a destination area. I've been told that the Marc by Marc Jacobs store on Damen in Bucktown is the second highest grossing location for that retailer behind only their 5th Avenue location in New York. So I don't particularly think the Bucktown retail market is going anywhere.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:05 PM

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I got an email from Northwestern University this past weekend that demolition has begun on the old Veteran's Hospital at Fairbanks and Huron (X shaped building). I guess this makes 'sense' as the Children's Hospital broke ground last week, and NU needs to have at least 1 vacant lot at any time.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:14 PM

^I don't know how I didn't hear about that one. Well, on second thought, I guess I didn't actively pursue any information on it. I am over right near that building all the time, and I always enjoy the little areas of greenery that the shape and layout of the building created (even though they aren't really all that accessible and welcoming). It's not really as though that is a particularly nice area for walking around in anyway; NMH pretty much dominates two, maybe three blocks (maybe more?) of that area. Any details in the email about future development plans for that plot?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:48 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

not sure where to put this, but here is a trailer for "Make No Little Plans", The first feature length documentary film about noted architect and urban planner Daniel Hudson Burnham, produced by the Archimedia Workshop.

National distribution in 2009 will coincide with the centennial celebration of Daniel Burnham and Edward Bennett’s 1909 Plan of Chicago.

The movie is slated to premiere next year in Millennium Park, part of a summer-long centennial salute to Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago.

http://thearchimediaworkshop.org/node/24

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
^I don't know how I didn't hear about that one. Well, on second thought, I guess I didn't actively pursue any information on it. I am over right near that building all the time, and I always enjoy the little areas of greenery that the shape and layout of the building created (even though they aren't really all that accessible and welcoming). It's not really as though that is a particularly nice area for walking around in anyway; NMH pretty much dominates two, maybe three blocks (maybe more?) of that area. Any details in the email about future development plans for that plot?
Here is the actual email. No info about future plans, but with a 10 month demolition schedule, we might not see anything for a while.

April 25, 2008

We would like to inform you that the demolition of the vacated Veterans Administration Hospital building will commence beginning next week and last through March, 2009. The building is bordered by Erie and Huron streets and Fairbanks and McClurg Cts.

Erection of barricades and partial structures around the site and above some of the sidewalks has started and will occur over the next two weeks. The north parking lane of Erie Street will be closed for most of the eastern dimension of the block between Fairbanks and McClurg.

Most truck access and outlets to the site will be located on Erie Street. As in the past, we will make sure the trucks are covered and wheels cleaned in order to minimize impact on area streets. Additionally, the building will be watered during the demolition to reduce dust.

We are committed to communicating the status of this development to our neighbors throughout the project and will send out e-mail notifications to keep you informed about this project ahead of time. During the building demolition we will make significant efforts to minimize disruption to the community and the campus related to this project.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 7:10 PM
Registered

^ While I've known about this for years, I still think that's a real shame. There should have been a way to reuse the structure, but of course it doesn't provide enough square footage for them.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
I would suggest you head over to the North/Milwaukee/Damen area some Saturday. The foot traffic in Bucktown for that general area is absolutely obscene. It's got a lot of restaurants and bars like Absinth, Feast, Northside and Silver Cloud that are reasonably priced and great hangouts, so the draw is always there. And the retail market there is as good as it gets. Hoteliers on Michigan are sending guests who are looking to shop over to Bucktown specifically for the boutiques, so it is a destination area. I've been told that the Marc by Marc Jacobs store on Damen in Bucktown is the second highest grossing location for that retailer behind only their 5th Avenue location in New York. So I don't particularly think the Bucktown retail market is going anywhere.
Granted that intersection is a total zoo on weekends; it's one of the biggest entertainment draws regionally. Traffic backs up for blocks in each direction heading towards it. It's also quite desolate during the week (heading north on Damen at least, the 6 corners still gets traffic just by virtue of being a transport hub). Again, given that there isn't a critical mass of residents, employment, or hotel rooms nearby, I don't see how it's sustainable long term unless at leat one of those changes. Is 1.5 crazy days a week (on good weather days, natch) enough to really sustain such a large boutique district? I suppose the low-volume, high-margin model is best for the area if you can swing it.

And aren't there only like 3 Marc Jacobs stores in the world?

I'm just skeptical, is all. Sure, Bucktown is the new Lincoln Park, but at least Lincoln Park has residential density from denser housing stock, and employment density from hospitals and DePaul, meaning there is some traffic and economic activity happening all week long.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Granted that intersection is a total zoo on weekends; it's one of the biggest entertainment draws regionally. Traffic backs up for blocks in each direction heading towards it. It's also quite desolate during the week (heading north on Damen at least, the 6 corners still gets traffic just by virtue of being a transport hub). Again, given that there isn't a critical mass of residents, employment, or hotel rooms nearby, I don't see how it's sustainable long term unless at leat one of those changes. Is 1.5 crazy days a week (on good weather days, natch) enough to really sustain such a large boutique district? I suppose the low-volume, high-margin model is best for the area if you can swing it.

And aren't there only like 3 Marc Jacobs stores in the world?

I'm just skeptical, is all. Sure, Bucktown is the new Lincoln Park, but at least Lincoln Park has residential density from denser housing stock, and employment density from hospitals and DePaul, meaning there is some traffic and economic activity happening all week long.
I don't know man, it seems like a pretty dense residential area to me. Check out Winchester and Wolcott (the two streets east of Damen) north of North Avenue sometime. Some very expensive SFR's and condos have been going in there recently. The area is getting pretty well up there as far as the local residents go. Also, while it's not really the zoo that it is on weekends, the bar/restaurant draw makes it a very high foot traffic area throughout the week as well; at least from my recent observations in our push to finish the Intermix store over the past few weeks. Also from driving over there frequently, the street traffic you speak of is like that all day every day, not just weekends. If I'm taking North Ave. west, it could be 20 minutes from the highway, or if I'm taking Milwaukee north, it could be 20 minutes from Chicago. Just nuts all the time.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 11:26 PM

^Hey, hope you're right.... I'm all for having as many bustling, jam-packed, economically active Chicago neighborhoods as possible.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ While I've known about this for years, I still think that's a real shame. There should have been a way to reuse the structure, but of course it doesn't provide enough square footage for them.
Its a shame, but I wouldn't be so pissed about it if I didn't know that they would surely build something really shitty and ugly in its place. NW sucks at not building ugly things.

At first I thought you were referencing the marina city looking thing by some notable architect Wesse or Goldberg or somebody like that. Thank God its not that, that is the only part of NW DT that is worth saving except for the few really old buildings by the lake.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:30 AM
Registered

^ Keep your eyes open... Goldberg's Hospital is still in danger too. We probably won't get much notice on that when / if they decide to try it, since they know so many people are against it.

You are right - NW has ruined most of that area with ugly structures. It used to be very beautiful.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:23 AM

^Surely, Veterans Administration will be replaced by the Brendan Reilly Parking Garage, set to rescue Streeterville from all traffic woes, making streets traffic-free and providing ample off-street parking for people from all walks of life, or at least all Reilly constituents, or at least all constituents Reilly bothers to listen to, from Mercedes owners all the way down to slovenly Acura drivers. Or was the site of the mega-garage already specified somewhere else? This site is large enough to build an epic garage worthy of Chicago's reputation of stirring men's souls through architecture and grand plans, surely large enough to end Chicago's oppressive parking shortage once and for all.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 5:11 AM
Registered

^ I thought the garage was to be behind the new Prentice. Last I heard, NW wanted this VA site for unspecified future hospital space. Maybe I am wrong.

They also recently tore down that beautiful SOM building on Ontario (former VA space too) for who-knows-what. And they tore down that D. H. Burnham building on Ohio. Boy are they doing a number on that neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:58 AM

Honte, that Goldberg structure currently houses a psych ward, no? My sister works at the dental center of NMH and has to go to a "weird, ugly concrete thing" to see psych patients that need dental work, and I am assuming that her description is referring to the Goldberg creation (albeit a decidedly SHITTY description at that, but to each their own). It would be a real shame to lose that one. The logistics solutions for patient care he was able to design with the shell structure for this particular hospital as well as all of his other hospital designs is nothing short of groundbreaking.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 10:35 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Little Village development

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder30.article

26th Street to get taste of Beverly Hills
REAL ESTATE |
California-based developer partners with local firm to bring movie theater, housing, grocer to Little Village

April 30, 2008Recommend

DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

A little bit of Beverly Hills is coming to 26th Street, an important commercial corridor to Little Village.

But this isn't gentrification gone crazy. It's a developer based in Beverly Hills, Calif., taking the wraps off a project proposed for 4400 W. 26th St. Primestor Development Inc. wants to build about 100 housing units, and approximately 190,000 square feet of commercial space, including a movie theater.

The property covers about 15 acres near the city's boundary with Cicero. Primestor and a local partner, the Little Village Community Development Corp., have worked through the planning process for a couple years and has now introduced an ordinance to rezone the site with the support of Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd)........

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:23 PM

Madison & Franklin

The LaQuinta Inn and Suites conversion is moving along at a good pace. Steel structure is up to the 9th floor. Not the most exciting project, but it will add 240 moderate priced rooms to the central Loop.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
little village development
That is an awesome sounding development for that neighborhood. Even if it is architecturally crap, the density and destinations will likely make up for it.

Taft

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
That is an awesome sounding development for that neighborhood. Even if it is architecturally crap, the density and destinations will likely make up for it.

Taft
Little Village doesn't really have a shortage of density or destinations (26th St. is one of the busiest commercial corridors in the city), so it is a little bit more a matter of whether the development provides something the neighbors desire.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
I don't know man, it seems like a pretty dense residential area to me. Check out Winchester and Wolcott (the two streets east of Damen) north of North Avenue sometime. Some very expensive SFR's and condos have been going in there recently. ...
I had to chuckle that you talk about SFR's as supporting evidence of density ...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:22 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Keep your eyes open... Goldberg's Hospital is still in danger too. We probably won't get much notice on that when / if they decide to try it, since they know so many people are against it.

You are right - NW has ruined most of that area with ugly structures. It used to be very beautiful.
NW's stewardship of its Streeterville properties is very sad - deplorable, really. Their track record doesn't bode well for Prentice.

From Kamin's Skyline blog:

Date: April 15, 2008
A Goldberg variation: The condition of Prentice Women's Hospital
In response to yesterday's post about threats to the architecture of Bertrand Goldberg, my friend Edward Lifson wondered aloud on his blog, The New Modernist (see link at right), about the future of Goldberg's Prentice Women's Hospital in Chicago. I emailed him this story, which appeared last fall as a sidebar to a review of New Prentice Women's Hospital. I'm posting it here as well:

Even if Bertrand Goldberg's old Prentice Women's Hospital (left) lacks the postcard-ready silhouette of his Marina City corncobs, it remains a startlingly good piece of architecture: a 7-story bed tower with four bulbous concrete shells that soar above a boxy base. It would be a shame to lose this exuberant, adventurous building, especially because it is such a powerfully sculptural antidote to the bland residential high-rises east of Michigan Avenue.

But now that new Prentice has opened, the door is open to such an outcome.....

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ion/index.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development