HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:52 AM

Case 16666 (Bedford Sub-Area 5 Development Agreement);

I attended the PIM for this planning case earleir tonight. For the most part it was hijacked by landowners on Kearney Lake Road who wanted water service to their lots (not NIMBY's though). Concerns were typical for Bedford, and revolved around buffers and water/sewage plans for the site. Since the planning documents are not online yet I took some photos which I have posted below with descriptions;

1. This is the site plan for the proposal. It consists of three "sections". On the left (north) of the Kearney Lake Connector there will be a 6 storey multi-unit building (50 units) and parkland adjacent to the pond. In the centre (off of the cul-de-sac) there will be highway commercial with buildings from 7'500 to 50'000 square feet in size along with a gas bar. Though no tenants have been finalized the large building does look like a grocery store. On the right (south) side of the area will be two 12-storey multi-unit buildings with 134 units each. There will also be a small picnic park with a lookoff over Kearney Lake and a path around the stormwater retention pond.

2. This is the current community layout plan for the surrounding area. The lands downhill (left/west) of the site are still being designed and will be brought to public review in the next few months. The Sobeys logo is in Hemlock Square.

3. This is the current community layout plans for the West Bedford Business Park and part of Stonington Park. The main point of this photo is to show the approved site for the new high school.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:52 AM

Thanks for sharing, I've spend a decent amount of time working in this area, so it always peaks my interest to see what is coming down the line. I can't wait to be able do the Kearney Lake to Bedford highway connection. It seems like the road keeps getting pushed back, when I first heard of it it should have been in by now. Now I've heard the water transmission main may be connected into the interchange transmission main before the road is started

I can understand Grav's frustrations in the Ravines/Bedford South thread, I'd rather see more development in the downtown if it meant less in the suburb, but thats because I prefer the urban setting. I know many people however, who have moved to HRM but hate the thought of living downtown, so to be successful HRM, has to cater to all walks of life. Right now I think the developers are just building whatever makes the most money, so for the time being more people seem to want to live in the suburbs, but that will change. Things like being stricter on changing the serviceable boundary could be a way for council to force the switch over.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 11:08 PM

Some photos from last week or so;

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 9:24 PM

Just one photo today. This is Utopia Lane looking towards Gary Martin (lots will be townhouses);

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:55 PM

So last week there was a public meeting for the new public high school to be located on Innovation Drive. Specifically it was to deal with the proposed area reate for Hammonds Plains and Bedford to pay for the community centre. For the msot part the meeting was simple and normal comments were raised on both sides regarding taxes and the horrible quality of community services provided in the community. Anyways to be honest I don't care much when it comes to taxes and a project this nice that will benefit so many people is worth the money of HRM taxpayers.

Mainly I went to the meeting to see the plans for the school so here are some photos I took of the powerpoint presentation. The school will be 3 stories tall and the community centre will be 2 stories tall;

BTW here is some governmental logic brought to you by the provincial government. The new school will be built for a capacity of 1200 students. CPA currently houses 1300 students and is expected to grow big time with the development of Bedford South/West.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 12:51 AM

So is this school replacing CPA or will both exist?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
So is this school replacing CPA or will both exist?
Replacing. From what I understand CPA's staff and all of its students will shift to this new school, Bedford Junior High will move into the former high school (CPA's current site), and the existing BJH school will either be demolished, reused or (I doubt this) replace Oakmount Elementary (?) down the street.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:56 PM

On another note West Bedford is becoming home to a test pilot for HRM in regards to undergrounding services in new subdivisions.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...208ca1053i.pdf
http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0208ca1051.pdf

The reports go into a lot more detail but HRM is considering a Energy Functional Plan, part of which, would require developers to underground all utilities at their own cost. Or in other words at the expense of the future homeowners. As a pilot project to this plan a short cul-de-sac off of Capstone Crescent is going to be tested with financial help from HRM to determine the costs and what benefits would be realistically come from these changes. The street in question has 40' lot frontages and is currently the unmarked intersection at the end of Capstone Crescent.

Assuming Regional Council approves the $50'000 cost to HRM, construction of the street is scheduled to start this spring.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:40 PM

The renderings for the townhouses of Castlestone Drive curteousy of Geoff Keddy's website;

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:44 PM
Fizzix geek

Not exactly Arts & Crafts style, but a couple of nice nods to FL Wright prairie work in the design.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 11:47 PM

Where is Castlestone Drive exactly? Up in Roundabout Land near Uteck?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 PM

Certainly better than the majority of suburban housing being built

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouthian View Post
Certainly better than the majority of suburban housing being built
... if it ends up looking anything like in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Where is Castlestone Drive exactly? Up in Roundabout Land near Uteck?
In the area between RIM and Bluewater Road I think.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:36 AM

Some photos from today;

Hollyhock Way:

Lasalle Court:

Castlestone Drive:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The renderings for the townhouses of Castlestone Drive curteousy of Geoff Keddy's website;

These townhouses as of today;

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:07 PM

West Bedford High School is now under construction;

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

This is a great looking townhouse development.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:54 PM

So those townhomes are actually, I think, "garden-home" (attached bungalow?) condos with 2 smallish bedrooms and 2 baths on the main floor and 2 bedrooms a bath and a family on the bottom floor. Aimed at empty nesters? $350ish.

I wonder what the condo fees are for a place like that and what they take care of? Yard? Shoveling? I assume all exterior maintenance...
http://www.questrealty.ca/index.php?...&listingID=512

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 9:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
So those townhomes are actually, I think, "garden-home" (attached bungalow?) condos with 2 smallish bedrooms and 2 baths on the main floor and 2 bedrooms a bath and a family on the bottom floor. Aimed at empty nesters? $350ish.

I wonder what the condo fees are for a place like that and what they take care of? Yard? Shoveling? I assume all exterior maintenance...
http://www.questrealty.ca/index.php?...&listingID=512
Most such developments in the GTA (these would be considered to be townhouses in the GTA) are now freehold. So there are no condo fees. I don't know if that is being done in the HRM? Apartment condos in the GTA still have condo fees though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 6:00 PM

This development is a condo one with condo fees ... I wonder if it's not a good model, though, Fenwick? We are always behind in housing trends here so it would make sense that a model out of vogue somewhere else is in vogue here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs