HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 10:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
And yes, wood frame is a huge turn off for condo buyers.
It was the primary reason I stopped considering Edison. My current condo is wood framed. I can hear every single squeak, pop, neighbors talking...everything. No different than cheap apartments I've lived in. Once I'm out of it, will never go with a wood condo ever again. I'm sure this affected quite a few potential buyers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 10:12 PM

Fascinating, isn't it? Spend a half million dollars for the same quality of living as a $1000 apartment.

They call wood framing "30-year buildings" for a reason. Anyone buying a new construction wood-framed condo is short-sighted. I've got some stuff at 3rd Street and Thomas that's in concrete buildings from the 60s and it's good as new. Edison will be a disaster when it's 60 years old.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Fascinating, isn't it? Spend a half million dollars for the same quality of living as a $1000 apartment.

They call wood framing "30-year buildings" for a reason. Anyone buying a new construction wood-framed condo is short-sighted. I've got some stuff at 3rd Street and Thomas that's in concrete buildings from the 60s and it's good as new. Edison will be a disaster when it's 60 years old.
My condo is 50 years old concrete construction. solid as ever.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 7:06 PM
Skyriser

Meanwhile my wood building is from 1912 and literally falling apart. After squealing like banshees the joists and subfloor are now starting to crack as my upstairs neighbors simply walk around. I am getting my landlord to break my lease without charge as they don’t want me to go to the housing authority.

Heading to my own concrete midrise after. Will be nice to finally live in a building that respects my passion for quality places.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:27 PM

Looked at both

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think a big difference with Portland on the Park is that project is at the west end of the park, which is better designed and less scary than the east end. I see people using the playground and having picnics at the west end all the time. Also, Portland is partially buffered from the main part of the park by the Japanese Friendship Garden.
I looked at both of these places, and there is also something to be said for the green space where everyone walks their dogs on W Portland st. There is no pleasant space like that yet for enHanse.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 3:09 AM
Skyriser

I wish the City Beautiful movement never stopped and those parkways were commonplace. Phoenix would be a different city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 7:53 PM

Which brings up a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Meanwhile my wood building is from 1912 and literally falling apart. After squealing like banshees the joists and subfloor are now starting to crack as my upstairs neighbors simply walk around. I am getting my landlord to break my lease without charge as they don’t want me to go to the housing authority.

Heading to my own concrete midrise after. Will be nice to finally live in a building that respects my passion for quality places.

If you are going to move into a wood framed apt or condo you can mitigate a lot of noise by taking the top floor, if you have that option. You become the noise maker rather than the noise receiver, a world of difference.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
If you are going to move into a wood framed apt or condo you can mitigate a lot of noise by taking the top floor, if you have that option. You become the noise maker rather than the noise receiver, a world of difference.
Not necessarily. Some condos's can have concrete flooring, but still wood framed walls. While that may mitigate creaks from walking, it does nothing for hearing the neighbors talking, loud TV's/radio, dogs barking, etc. I live in a town-home condo where no one is above or below me. Yet I hear everything on either side of me including when the neighbors walk up their steps. Took me forever to get used to that! First week or so after I moved in, I seriously thought someone was walking up my steps! Scary as heck to be woken up by that!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:44 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not necessarily. Some condos's can have concrete flooring, but still wood framed walls. While that may mitigate creaks from walking, it does nothing for hearing the neighbors talking, loud TV's/radio, dogs barking, etc. I live in a town-home condo where no one is above or below me. Yet I hear everything on either side of me including when the neighbors walk up their steps. Took me forever to get used to that! First week or so after I moved in, I seriously thought someone was walking up my steps! Scary as heck to be woken up by that!
A decent townhome would have masonry walls at the lot line. A townhome that's woodframe is just a one level apartment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
A decent townhome would have masonry walls at the lot line. A townhome that's woodframe is just a one level apartment.
Mine is a 2 level. It's all wood-frame with no masonry walls unfortunately.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:28 PM

Not to mention the fire risk. It's thankfully relatively rare, but the worst can happen as it did this weekend.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...ire-in-phoenix

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Not to mention the fire risk. It's thankfully relatively rare, but the worst can happen as it did this weekend.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...ire-in-phoenix
Only 2 miles up the road from my place. Too close for comfort. I remember the condo I had in Dayton (single level 2 unit building) had a solid cinder block dividing wall from the crawl space to the roof line. That place was quiet. I couldn't hear anything from my neighbor and he couldn't hear anything from me and I cranked up my TV and radio pretty loud. I think it may have been a city requirement. I haven't looked up the regulations here, but watching all these apartments and condo's get built, I haven't noticed any dividing firewall protection in any of them. What are the regulations for this in Phoenix?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 8:52 PM
Modulator

So back onto construction news, we have dirt moving and construction equipment at the Filmore!!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:28 PM

Are you speaking of this? it's all I found when I googled "the fillmore phoenix"

https://realestatedaily-news.com/new...more-district/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Are you speaking of this? it's all I found when I googled "the fillmore phoenix"

No the Fillmore, south of Fillmore between 6th ave, 5th ave and 4th ave.

Excellent news:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Nope. The Filmore from Trammel Crowe. The 2 block controversial project that Nowakowski got flack for having ties with Trammel Crowe and has been sitting for nearly 2 years after winning the 2nd RFP.

I'd post a link, but I'm on my cell right now.

Edit: Thanks Obadno!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Nope. The Filmore from Trammel Crowe. The 2 block controversial project that Nowakowski got flack for having ties with Trammel Crowe and has been sitting for nearly 2 years after winning the 2nd RFP.

I'd post a link, but I'm on my cell right now.

Edit: Thanks Obadno!
Nice. Not the most exciting project in the pipeline in a vacuum, but a project that's eating up a bunch of really ugly vacant land, the majority of which has been vacant since like the 1980s. UEB is the contractor on this one as well right? Hopefully we get a webcam soon.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:46 PM

Pappas School

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Nice. Not the most exciting project in the pipeline in a vacuum, but a project that's eating up a bunch of really ugly vacant land, the majority of which has been vacant since like the 1980s. UEB is the contractor on this one as well right? Hopefully we get a webcam soon.
And with the last large lots downtown now under construction we have mroe incentive for developers to build up.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:48 AM

Couple of Updates

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

The Blocks of Roosevelt Row making progress

Tower Crane Base for Wexford project

Question for those in the know about Eco Phoenix at 3rd Ave and Roosevelt. I thought this project was going to extend all the way south up to the business at 826 N 3rd Ave. Drove by after all the demo work was done and looks like the fencing only goes up to where those shaded parking structures are at (830 is the address). Is this shitty parking lot going to remain?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest