HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:26 PM

Kraft has Oreo cookies, Jello, Cool Whip, and kraft american cheese all iconic American brands. It could be something like the world of coke where you have nostalgic ads and a room where you could taste the different flavors from around the world. Maybe a giant oreo being dunked in Milk. Giant rubbery jello shapes that kids could play on that are made of some soft rubberlike material. They could do lots of things. I think they make oreos in green tea flavor in China or Japan for example. In India they think oreos aren't sweet enough and they have to add more sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
There was talk a while back in the thread from some people about the opportunity McDonald's had with their 50th anniversary restaurant. Someone mentioned a place with counters serving every menu McDonald's carries internationally. That would have been amazing. Heck, I would have even taken a decent design that wasn't stranded in an ocean of parking lot. Not to mention that there are bigger McDonalds' in New York. It was such a missed opportunity. And I'm not really sure what Kraft would have as a tourist attraction, but I wish they would have moved their spin off into the loop.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 4:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
And I'm not really sure what Kraft would have as a tourist attraction, but I wish they would have moved their spin off into the loop.
Kraft could do some cool food science stuff. Everything thinks El Bulli and Moto when they think of molecular gastronomy, but a lot of what Kraft does involves that sort sort of science. Breaking it down for people to see would be a pretty cool exercise.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:36 PM

^^^
They'd just have to make sure it isn't too gross. Though since you mention it, I'm surprised Kraft hasn't opened an exhibit at the museum of science and industry on food science... It might get future kids to believe/ understand that "natural" food isn't always better food. Kraft is already a rather large benefactor of the museum, though for such a large corporation, I can't imagine that 25K-35K is that big of a deal. An exhibit would probably cost millions to open.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 7:29 PM

Food science would be really cool to learn about. Thats why they should open their own museum in the west loop, perhaps near moto. Then they could charge admission for it. Maybe in the Fulton Cold Storage building even. Or build it over one of the parking lots near united center and have it tie into the retail and restaurant development they want to build there. So people could make a day out of it. Hell I'm really excited about this now. I should email this to Rahm.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
It might get future kids to believe/ understand that "natural" food isn't always better food.
Jury's still out on this one.

Americans eat more processed foods than any other country in the world, and also have one of the world's highest obesity rates.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:46 AM

^^^
And what corporation doesn't want to win over some kids from their possible future health bent. Anyways, this is all O/T; the point is I think it'd be a cool destination.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:33 AM

Jones College Prep

PBC Chicago has some new shots of Jones College Prep on their flickr photostream. (Dated 4/26)

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The DSW store is supposed to open May 10 according to the sign. Also, a Carhartt store is planned for the Wabash side of Sullivan Center, I guess to fulfill the needs of Loop college-age hipsters. Meanwhile, I've heard that the old Borders store has been leased but that the New York & Co. store might soon be available, which is kinda strange considering they just finished sprucing up the first two floors.
I must have overlooked this when you posted the other day. Have you heard who has leased the old Borders location? I have been very anxious to hear some new news about State Street. When walking around that area in the evening it is really sad to see that corner dark and empty, will be nice to see it occupied again!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:22 PM

A piece from Racked, the retail partner of Curbed, on the River North WalMart Express opening.

The River North Resident's Association made complaints that should infuriate anyone with a basic understanding of economics:

Quote:
... voicing their concerns of "temporary jobs", "cheap produce", and being "too competitive with local business".
There are good arguments to be made against the tactics of WalMart and (to a lesser extent) Target but these are not them. Talk about the environmental impact of the non-local foods they stock or the inhumane condtions with which their products are made. But as we can assume that the majority of "local" shops are also run with equally unscrupulous business standards, I have no problem with someone doing it more cheaply. these guys are attacking the image that has been assigned to WalMart by city-liberals as well as the low-class implications of having a WalMart in an increasingly upper class neighborhood like River North neighborhood. IMO, it would have been smart if WalMart had picked a different spinoff brand for their urban locations. Something like City Mart so that people wouldn't even know or care that a WalMart was technically moving in next door. I think that River North will do well to have a low cost option.

And on the design:

Quote:
We're in and walking around. This store, unlike the Lakeview or the Loop locations though is more naturally lit with two skylights running the length of the building. Like those said other locations, as a Walmart rep just told us you'll find more muted colors, an urban feel with exposed beams, some exposed brick, stainless steel finishes and quasi-industrial shelving.
One can also see that the street side is covered in windows.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:57 PM
THAT Guy

More renderings of The Maxwell

600 W Stratford
8-12 units

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:10 PM
TL;DR

Seems like a big step down in design... The color change to white for the residential part only exaggerates the gigantic long, low shape of the retail podium. That division between top and bottom is far too simplistic, and I would have preferred a more complicated interaction where the white material extends down for residential entrances and the black material extends up for integration.

Glad to see this Roosevelt area is moving in a more urban/mixed-use direction, though.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Glad to see this Roosevelt area is moving in a more urban/mixed-use direction, though.
^ My thoughts exactly.

Design concerns aside, compared to the first generation of what was built in this area (strip center with 5000 acres of parking), this is the Taj Mahal.

Lets please keep moving in this direction

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:50 PM

If I am looking at this right, the Maxwell is only seven floors in the first two renderings and eight floors tall in the last two (assuming the pool is level with the third floor). I wonder which is current.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:57 PM

^^^
I actually think this building looks better now. It does look like one contiguous block of retail, but I like the way that the white cubes contrast with the dark brick at the base floating above the glass strip. Plus the window shapes in the upper parts and balconies are much improved.

For reference, here is Ardecila's eariler post of The Maxwell:

Quote:

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 10:50 PM

Roosevelt University Athletic Center:

with the "vertical campus" and Auditorium Building in the background

Fourth Presbyterian Church addition:

Jones College Prep:

Burberry Store:
(They've covered the steel beams in concrete)

Last edited by ChiPhi; May 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:17 AM

Are you sure thats concrete in the last picture? It almost looks like the spray-on insulation/fire protection.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the find, spyguy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't think this rendering is current? It looks like a holdover from the previous design.

Quote:
Seems like a big step down in design... The color change to white for the residential part only exaggerates the gigantic long, low shape of the retail podium. That division between top and bottom is far too simplistic, and I would have preferred a more complicated interaction where the white material extends down for residential entrances and the black material extends up for integration.

I dunno, ardecila... I kinda like the way it references Roosevelt's vernacular architecture.

I do think the fenestration pattern is improved; the smaller and less frequent windows of the original design made the residential component look like a bunker.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
with the "vertical campus" and Auditorium Building in the background
Thanks for the big photo update, ChiPhi. I'm pretty stoked by all these new additions. I know some of us would have preferred a couple of them to be much taller, but I personally enjoy the height variation. And, at least with the new athletic center, the Auditorium Building—one of the most important in Chicago—will have a bit of breathing room once the rest of the area densifies. The above photo illustrates this nicely.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief56 View Post
Are you sure thats concrete in the last picture? It almost looks like the spray-on insulation/fire protection.
It looked as coarse as concrete, but insulation/ fire protection makes more sense. How hard does that stuff end up?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:45 PM

I took another spin by the Shafer Condon Carter project this morning. The ground floor work has finally finished up. Worth the wait, it is looking damn good IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development