HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:31 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Well a couple of the NPA councilors have put forward a motion calling for the city to bid to host a race in the upcoming FIA Formula E Championship. I don't think it'll materialize in much but you never know. Think the idea of electric race series fits in well with the image Vancouver is trying to covey to the world.

http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...s/motionb2.pdf

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:13 PM

Here's a link to the FIA Formula E website.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

Lest anyone think that this is some university electric car geek-fest.

Also, since this would be run by FIA, the word "Indy" will be nowhere to be seen in the event title.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:48 PM
More Towers

Where would they run it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:29 AM

Pt. Grey Rd. Or maybe set up the old Indy course. Not much has changed since then, and since there will be so much park space, there might be a spot for stands even after that area is built out. Auto racing is such a cool sport. We need it back in some form.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Pt. Grey Rd. Or maybe set up the old Indy course. Not much has changed since then, and since there will be so much park space, there might be a spot for stands even after that area is built out. Auto racing is such a cool sport. We need it back in some form.
I agree. I do miss the spectacle and the noise of the Indy... although that sport isn't the same as it was in it's heyday. I think it's F1 or bust these days. Not counting Nascar since ovals are boring.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I agree. I do miss the spectacle and the noise of the Indy... although that sport isn't the same as it was in it's heyday. I think it's F1 or bust these days. Not counting Nascar since ovals are boring.
Well, the current Indycar series has managed to work it's way back up to being just as entertaining as it was back in the CART heydey. It's a pity not many people watch the races on TV, because they've got a fantastic product at the moment.

I'd love to see them back in Vancouver, but they need a promoter willing to pay the sanctioning fee, and they need somewhere to place a track without causing major disruption. Unfortunately, I don't think that combination exists at the present time.

Formula E is an interesting concept and I'd definitely go to see a race if it ever materialized in Vancouver. I'd have a hard time getting past the noise, or lack thereof. They quite literally sound like RC cars.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:40 AM

That lack/reduction of noise might be the thing that makes it more palatable to run along a downtown course. Without screaming engines disrupting sensitive neighbours (and we know that there are plenty of them in Vancouver) during training, qualification and the races, it might be something that can actually be put on, and for more than one or two years.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:52 AM

an F1 event in Vancouver would be exciting. any more sporting events to attend to, really, is a bonus for sports fans in this town. we've got a decent sporting scene with the whitecaps, the canucks and the lions.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
an F1 event in Vancouver would be exciting. any more sporting events to attend to, really, is a bonus for sports fans in this town. we've got a decent sporting scene with the whitecaps, the canucks and the lions.
I think we would have a better chance of Gregor realizing that we need a highway into downtown than getting an F1 race here. The quality of our roads is absolute crap compared to other cities that have street courses along with other logistical issues. Anyone remember the complaints about the facilities for the indy? Vancouver isn't exactly a Shanghai, Monaco or Singapore. With the extremely glammy crowd that frequents F1 races, throwing a couple tents up at the side of the road just wouldn't cut it. Monaco estimates that the total attendance is almost 200,000 people for their race with 100,000 alone on race day.

The upside of F1 is that the cars are considerably quieter now that they have moved to a turbocharged engine but i'm sure even with the whisper quiet formula E cars the NIMBY's would be upset.

I would be really happy to see motorsport return to Vancouver but I just can't see it happening. Heck even if the region could get a new motorsport facility that could host various series and was built to F1 spec it would be a good start.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 12:37 AM

No chance of F1 coming here. Fullstop

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
No chance of F1 coming here. Fullstop
F1? No. Formula E? Maybe.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:45 AM

Interesting, Jalopnik just posted a bit more insight into the "car change" involved in a 1 hour formula E race.

This series will not last until better battery technology comes out.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-for...ike-1617137238

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation